Quick Questions Thread 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

We’ll need some more information. Which universities are you planning to apply at, and which courses? Are you applying for graduate entry or an undergraduate course?

2. EAustralia

EAustralia New Member

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I will be applying for graduate entry medicine. I would like to apply to University of Queensland, Macquarie and University of Norte Dame (Sydney), but am open to applying to other universities.

Also, this year I have begun a Graduate Diploma. I would ideally like to use the grades for this course, but not the grades from my incomplete graduate diploma. Am I able to use the courses that I completed only?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2019
  3. Crow

Have you read the GEMSAS guide before?

The grades from your incomplete degree won’t be included in the GPA calculation, it’ll come down to the results in your Bachelor degree. From memory Notre Dame do use (complete) graduate diploma results in their GPA calculations (they’re possibly the only graduate entry uni that does) so assuming it’s a 1 year course your GPA for ND would be calculated based off that and the final 2 years of your undergraduate degree.

4. EAustralia

EAustralia New Member

Thank you very much!

5. Meliodas

Meliodas New Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question... But how do I find my GPA? I'm a first year student in UNSW, and I want to see the options I might have to get int either medicine or dentistry anywhere in Australia. Still kinda clueless, lol. Thank you in advance for any help! :)

6. EAustralia

EAustralia New Member

Hi Meliodas,
    Here is some information about how to calculate GPA: GPA Calculations | GEMSAS
    There are different options (weighted and unweighted) that universities will use.

7. Crow

Logic can help you. You should be able to access your academic transcript through MyUNSW (or whatever they call it at that uni!).

ETA: If you’re a first year student you wouldn’t even have a GPA yet, though, would you?

8. jq99

jq99 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm a first year provisional (bonded) student at UQ, doing Arts as my undergrad. I'm planning on sitting the GAMSAT in hopes for a non-bonded offer and to go back home to VIC.

A friend told me that GEMSAS automatically gives a +0.5 boost to our graduating GPA because we go to UQ. I can't seem to find evidence of this anywhere, is she just confusing that statement with the 6>6.75 GEMSAS subject GPA conversion?

Thanks so much in advance!

9. Crow

Sounds like your friend has misunderstood as you've pointed out. You aren't just automatically given a GPA boost; rather, any 6s you achieved become 6.75s, any 5s you achieved become 5.75s and any 4s you achieved become 4.5s. If you received any 7s then that's the highest score you can get in a subject so naturally this can't be lifted any higher.

jq99 likes this.
  10. 2284med

2284med New Member

Hi, I'm currently repeating year 12 hoping to get into Clinical Sci/Med at Flinders. My predicted ATAR is 97 and I'm eligible for UES (7 extra bonus points I think?). My UMAT score last year was 79%. What are my chances at getting an offer?

11. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    Your UMAT score from last year is largely irrelevant as it no longer counts and we are now looking at the first year of an entirely new exam.

On top of that, I don’t believe we know how Flinders will be using UCAT and its various components.

You’ll just have to give UCAT your best shot and keep up the good work with your year 12 re-sit.

12. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Adelaide/Flinders Med do not accept the Language/Literacy/Maths bonus, only the 5 UES points for eligible schools so the below is on that basis.

Have a look in this table > https://www.satac.edu.au/documents/aggregate_to_atar_conversion_table_2018.pdf

A 97 ATAR will give you virtually no chance with Flinders since the 5 bonus points only bring your Aggregate from 82.90 to 87.90 = ATAR 99.60, not enough in past years.

You need to get at least 97.70 to get boosted to 99.85, or 98.0 to get 99.95, to have a chance.

As a rough estimate, 99.85 will need better than 90th %ile UCAT, 99.95 probably around 80th %ile. Best of luck.