Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria1287

Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew of any Australian universities that accept undergraduate entry for Medicine from someone who has done one year at a tertiary institution?

NDR

Hey everyone,
I'm tutoring a few people in the UCAT this year and was wondering whether different sections of the test will be waited differently as they were with the UMAT e.g. WSU S1+S2.
Im aware of SJT being in bands as well, do we know any specifics about band cut offs for different unis yet?

Thanks in advance, i loved this forum when i was in year 12.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone,
I'm tutoring a few people in the UCAT this year and was wondering whether different sections of the test will be waited differently as they were with the UMAT e.g. WSU S1+S2.
Im aware of SJT being in bands as well, do we know any specifics about band cut offs for different unis yet?

Have a quick read of these two posts
> Pre-UCAT 2019 Discussion
> Pre-UCAT 2019 Discussion

The SJT for UCAT ANZ 2019 won't be in bands (probably the Aus unis haven't come to agreement on it yet). And judging by the way the UK unis do it's likely the Aus schools will weigh the sections differently too, but no-one knows the details yet.

dco

My Atar is 97 .
Have rural background
If I take gap year and improve my UCAT
What is my chance to get into med
How many unies accept after a gap year
and how many units accept if I start some course.
Your help will be greatly appreciated

L

Logic

Reactions: dco

A1

Rookie Doc
My Atar is 97 .
Have rural background
If I take gap year and improve my UCAT
What is my chance to get into med
How many unies accept after a gap year
and how many units accept if I start some course.
Your help will be greatly appreciated

Hi welcome to MSO. While many MSO members will encourage you to read the Common pitfalls thread, which offers excellent advice to 95% of the cases, I often suggest the opposite to particular cases. If (1) your ATAR is highly competitive (99.3+ non-rural, 97+ rural), and (2) you are prepared to do med outside of NSW, and (3) you are so med keen you don't mind risking losing a year of time for the higher chances, then IMO taking a gap year is not bad an option.

Once started uni you are limited to 4 med schools that accept non-standard applicants: JCU (very small quota) JMP WSU UNSW. Taking a gap year you remain eligible for these four's regular quotas plus Monash, Adelaide, UWA, Curtin, and possibly UQ (more on this below). With already a competitive ATAR plus double the number of avenues it gives much better chances than going non-standard.

Regarding UQ, I read that gap year students can be eligible to apply if they do a Y12 subject during that year (please call UQ Med to double check). My suggestion is to do a LOTE, with its 2 bonus points plus 2 for rural it protects your ATAR eligibility just in case it falls below 97. Percentile for UQ rural has been as low as 60th and there's still no interview for 2020 entry.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi welcome to MSO. While many MSO members will encourage you to read the Common pitfalls thread, which offers excellent advice to 95% of the cases, I often suggest the opposite to particular cases. If (1) your ATAR is highly competitive (99.3+ non-rural, 97+ rural), and (2) you are prepared to do med outside of NSW, and (3) you are so med keen you don't mind risking losing a year of time for the higher chances, then IMO taking a gap year is not bad an option.

Once started uni you are limited to 4 med schools that accept non-standard applicants: JCU (very small quota) JMP WSU UNSW. Taking a gap year you remain eligible for these four's regular quotas plus Monash, Adelaide, UWA, Curtin, and possibly UQ (more on this below). With already a competitive ATAR plus double the number of avenues it gives much better chances than going non-standard.

Regarding UQ, I read that gap year students can be eligible to apply if they do a Y12 subject during that year (please call UQ Med to double check). My suggestion is to do a LOTE, with its 2 bonus points plus 2 for rural it protects your ATAR eligibility just in case it falls below 97. Percentile for UQ rural has been as low as 60th and there's still no interview for 2020 entry.

dco, a gap year means you also remain eligible for UTAS, where the written application plays an important role in rural admissions.

A1 added: My apology to UTas and LMG! , I keep forgetting.

Medseeker

Lurker
Hey guys
i have just finished my Med sci bachelors degree last year and am thinking of applying for med this year. My Gemsas Gpa is 5.92 (little low unfortunately) and my gamsat from the September sitting is 62 (also low). I also have a pretty strong Portfolio as i did volunteer work in different fields for almost 2 years and had a hand in 2 peer reviewed published articles. Do i have a chance of getting in and if so where?
Cheers

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys
i have just finished my Med sci bachelors degree last year and am thinking of applying for med this year. My Gemsas Gpa is 5.92 (little low unfortunately) and my gamsat from the September sitting is 62 (also low). I also have a pretty strong Portfolio as i did volunteer work in different fields for almost 2 years and had a hand in 2 peer reviewed published articles. Do i have a chance of getting in and if so where?
Cheers

If you're not a rural applicant, or a Flinders student, then I think you will probably struggle. The universities that use GPA as a hurdle are probably your best bet, but they tend to have high GAMSAT requirements, I believe. It would be more useful for you to look at the collated data on Paging Doctor as they collate graduate entry scores, whereas we only collate undergraduate entry scores. You will need to look this information up yourself over at that site.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys
Cheers
Welcome to MSO! Unfortunately your scores are too low to be competitive for graduate entry schools. Will you be retaking GAMSAT this weekend? If you improve that 62, with an exceptional portfolio you may scrape an interview at Wollongong or UNDA (at which point GPA and GAMSAT become irrelevant or weighted very lowly when determining place offers).

I’d suggest you also take the UCAT this year and aim for entry at the universities that accept non-standard applicants (JMP, WSU, UNSW, Curtin and Bond).

Other than that, you may need to look at completing another bachelor degree or postgraduate study with the aim of lifting your GPA (and ideally providing you with an alternative career path if you don’t already have one).

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
Welcome to MSO! Unfortunately your scores are too low to be competitive for graduate entry schools. Will you be retaking GAMSAT this weekend? If you improve that 62, with an exceptional portfolio you may scrape an interview at Wollongong or UNDA (at which point GPA and GAMSAT become irrelevant or weighted very lowly when determining place offers).

I’d suggest you also take the UCAT this year and aim for entry at the universities that accept non-standard applicants (JMP, WSU, UNSW, Curtin and Bond).

Other than that, you may need to look at completing another bachelor degree or postgraduate study with the aim of lifting your GPA (and ideally providing you with an alternative career path if you don’t already have one).

You can also add Macquarie to the list.

(spelling edited by Mod)

Excellent and timely post. I see people simply pointing to the common pitfalls page but you have outlined cases where it may not be a bad idea to do a gap year. What you have listed is gem!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
Unfortunately a combo score of 1.46 isn’t competitive at Macquarie (or any other university) for a non-rural applicant based on past admissions data.
I know someone who had a 5.9 GPA from BHSc (Griffith) and GAMSAT of 62 and invited for interview and is now in Macquarie. This person probably had a good portfolio and it was Macquarie first intake (2018). I have to say I am not familiar with Graduate admission requirements and you are probably right with current conditions.

bourbaki

Hi guys, new here

does it matter in terms of job opportunities if you study med in Western Sydney or UNSW (will hospitals look down upon WSU graduates because of their global ranking, im an international student doing the final year of IB and planning to apply for 2020 intake). Thanks in advance

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys, new here

does it matter in terms of job opportunities if you study med in Western Sydney or UNSW (will hospitals look down upon WSU graduates because of their global ranking, im an international student doing the final year of IB and planning to apply for 2020 intake). Thanks in advance

No, there’s no ranking based on which uni you attended when you’re applying for positions in Med in Australia.

I am not sure if this remains the case if you are intending to return home (you mention you’re an international student) to work as a Doctor.

Hi, I'm a first year uni student at unsw. I'm sitting the UCAT this year and have a couple questions about the requirements. I'm planning to take program leave for the last term of university so i don't satisfy the requirements to complete a full year of study. This is so i can still be considered as a high school leaver when i apply for medicine/dentistry schools. However, im unsure if im able to do this:

- Do medicine/dent schools need my wam (so the wam I receive for the terms of study did), as i have enrolled into uni, even though I didnt complete a full year of study. If this is the case, am i able to still apply as a high school leaver?
NOTE: I completed the HSC in 2018 and obtained 99.00
OR
- Are the requirements to be a non-standard applicant include completing a full year of university study and obtaining an "official" year wam, so I'm still able to apply as a high school leaver as my atar is still eligible?

Status
Not open for further replies.