Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi, a bit off topic but I was just looking at your one your older posts about how your 99.85/91%tile did not get a place offer at unsw despite a very good interview. I am asking this because I have a slightly lower ATAR and probably a similar ucat percentile but was hoping that a strong interview could get me a place at unsw. Could it be that doing IB/HSC makes a difference? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

The only real difference doing IB/HSC does is that IB candidates receive second round interviews, which have invitation cutoffs that depend on the lowest offer from the first round interview, and so often may be higher - hence, just scraping an interview with 91%ile. Crow is right in saying that a strong interview is needed to offset a weak ATAR/UCAT combination, and it was highly unlikely that my interview score, despite a strong interview (I called to confirm it was a strong interview, they didn’t give any precise information besides that), was in, say the top 45 people of the 450. When I called, I was informed that I was about 20 places from receiving an offer. So certainly, a stronger interview that put me in the top 10% of interviewees might have increased my chances of scraping a BMP. So with that ATAR/UCAT combination; you will most likely need to have a very very strong interview to receive an offer. Regardless, not receiving an offer is not necessarily a bad thing, studying interstate just becomes an entirely different experience that ends up being worth it.

Last edited:

ChillX

Hey!

I was in the same position as you last year. Unfortunately, based on previous years, 86%ile means a slim chance to receive a UNSW offer – last year someone that got 90%ile UMAT with a maximum ATAR didn't receive a second round interview at all, although 86%ile may get you an interview in the first round interview as interview cutoffs are usually lower for December rounds (you would need a really good interview).

[ A1's comment: It would be most unusual for a top ATAR + 90%ile to not have received a UNSW interview even for 2nd round. I suspect the likely reason was the person forgot to submit the direct application to UNSW].

The cutoff for non-GWS UWS last year relied mostly on UMAT sections 1 + 2 scores, I'm not too sure how it is calculated this year and whether specific sections are weighed more. However, someone who got a 99%ile UMAT didn't receive an interview at all (granted his section 1 and 2 scores were lower than his section 3). GWS is more favoured.

With your scores, you should have a good chance of receiving an interview for JMP, and you are not disadvantaged by your scores compared to other candidates as JMP admission is based completely off the interview (I believe admission rate is around 1 in 4-6, so not as high as say UNSW or UWS interview to admission ratio, but everyone is on level playing ground once invited: correct me if I'm wrong here).

For Flinders (90% ATAR, 10% UCAT), you will likely need a 99.95 to 99.90 ATAR to receive an offer pretty much regardless of UCAT, possibly 99.85 if your UCAT is higher. Similar for Melbourne's Chancellors pathway – 99.90 with interview in 3rd year, no UCAT.

I'm not too sure about Adelaide, but based off previous years you should receive an interview provided that your ATAR is sufficient, a BMP offer is potentially in reach.

Receiving an interview for Monash interstate students is very unlikely, unless rural entry. Many interstates that applied with incredibly high ATAR/UCAT combinations unexpectedly didn't receive interviews from Monash at all.

Compared to VIC/NSW/SA, I would say that you have a much better shot at WA and QLD universities. I'm not sure if you've applied QTAC or TISC?

The cutoff for Griffith last year was 99.75 at the Gold Coast Campus, and 99.70 at the Nathan Campus, and 99.55 for the USC program on the Sunshine Coast. If you could aim high for your ATAR, your chances are good at Griffith.

JCU does not look at UCAT I believe, and has a reasonable ATAR cutoff, invitation for interview looks mostly at your application provided you meet their cutoffs.

UQ is unfortunately likely out of the question as the bonded cutoff was 99 (OP1)/93%ile last year, and 96%ile for unbonded.

Bond has a 96 ATAR cutoff I believe, with no consideration for UCAT. I believe they cut half the potential candidates after the psychometric testing, then half the remaining candidates after the interview. If you can afford it, Bond could be an option.

I'm not too sure about UWA and Curtin – but chances are you will be more competitive there compared to VIC/NSW/SA.

Medical applications are rough, to receive an offer anywhere is a privilege. Good luck with your applications.
UWA and Curtin do favour local highschool leavers, however it is not as competitive as Monash in that regard. I would reckon that you might be able to get an interview offer at Curtin, less so at UWA. This is because they changed interview invite criteria where UWA is: pass the 99 threshold, then ranked on UCAT and invited to interview, while Curtin is: 40:60 UCAT:ATAR (or the other way around I don't remember).

Woah, thank you for the info. Appreciate it a lot :D
Looking at what you have said, I think I may have forgotten about Curtin. I guess I'll apply for their med program. Thank you again.

Btw, would taking a gap year be worth it. I was getting scores ranging from high 2900s to low 3100s in my UCAT mocks with Medentry and Medify, but unfortunately I was very ill this year and did not do as well as I usually do.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Woah, thank you for the info. Appreciate it a lot :D
Looking at what you have said, I think I may have forgotten about Curtin. I guess I'll apply for their med program. Thank you again.

Btw, would taking a gap year be worth it. I was getting scores ranging from high 2900s to low 3100s in my UCAT mocks with Medentry and Medify, but unfortunately I was very ill this year and did not do as well as I usually do.

Taking a gap year solely for UCAT study tends to be a high risk strategy as it relies on a successful UCAT the second year, although if you can use that gap year productively and achieve something else in the meantime e.g. travel, mastering a craft, working, then it is something to consider.

However, it is definitely possible to redo the UCAT or HSC and by not starting a tertiary degree, you don't exclude Flinders, Adelaide, Monash, UniMelb, UWA, Curtin, UTas, Griffith, UQ, USyd as potential options – note that half of these (Flinders, UniMelb, Griffith, USyd) rely on exceptionally high ATARs as opposed to UCAT. Otherwise non-school leavers can only apply to 5 universities – UNSW, WSU, JMP, Bond, JCU with UCAT.

Do remember that GAMSAT is always an option, which opens up 12 university options with varying admission requirements. However, be careful selecting a degree just for the sake of transferring into medicine. As others have said, go for an allied health degree with employment prospects if you decide to take this route.

It is definitely possible to succeed in redoing UCAT, I know someone with a 99.70 last year push their UMAT from a 92%ile to around a 97%ile UCAT this year, basically guaranteeing them a spot at UQ.

A1

Rookie Doc
I think I read it somewhere on this forum that there weren't any second round offers due to it being a highly competitive year. However, I thought that they would always be made for UQ Dent as long as people declined their offers, which I would assume some people did.

The schools sometimes over-offer places in anticipation of declines.

On this note I like to add, apart from early offers (only UTas & WSU do for med rurals) the TACs release a main round of offers in early January (late Dec for WA) and another round in early February. There are several scenarios:

- For schools with no interview or only one intv round: all offers or even over offers are made in the main round. Some, in particular Adelaide due to high decline rates, will make top-up offers in the 2nd round.

- JCU holds two interview rounds however BOTH are completed before the main offer round, therefore all offers are released in this round.

- For schools with an intv round for locals and one for interstates, they roughly apportion the number of offers made to the main round and set aside the remaining for the Feb round. In this case the Feb is more like an interstates offer round, not a top-up/second-chance for locals. Although in UNSW case, since they commit to giving interstates the same final cutoff they set aside an ample number of places thus often have a surplus to back offer to locals in the Feb round.

REGULAR JOE

Hi, I did Cambridge A Levels. I'm a domestic student and my equivalen ATAR is 99.45 and UCAT percentile is 87. Would anyone be able to advice me on my chances of getting an offer from ANY undergraduate entry med school?

earfquack

Lurker
Hello, just to clarify, does UNSW weigh situational judgement section as equal weighting as the first four sections? I think I saw someone comment that in MSO. I achieved a high aptitude mark (99%ile) but a low SJT mark (620), so I am sconsidering on applying for JMP in lieu of UNSW due to my horrendus SJT (~65%ile??). Thanks.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, I did Cambridge A Levels. I'm a domestic student and my equivalen ATAR is 99.45 and UCAT percentile is 87. Would anyone be able to advice me on my chances of getting an offer from ANY undergraduate entry med school?

Your UCAT is likely too low for UQ UNSW WSU & Monash (unless you are local Vic), probably marginal for Adelaide and JMP. I think you do have some chances with UWA, Curtin and JCU. UTas is unknown since their selection formula changes quite frequently.

EtA: Reason for chances with UWA is its ATAR 99 eligibility barring many applicants (vs JMP 94.3 & Adelaide 90.0). Curtin uses combination of ATAR+UCAT (60:40) like UNSW & Monash do but is much less competitive.

Hello, just to clarify, does UNSW weigh situational judgement section as equal weighting as the first four sections? I think I saw someone comment that in MSO. I achieved a high aptitude mark (99%ile) but a low SJT mark (620), so I am sconsidering on applying for JMP in lieu of UNSW due to my horrendus SJT (~65%ile??). Thanks.

I saw in writing somewhere UNSW says SJT is of equal importance but that does not mean equal weighting. My speculation is your 620 will make the SJT cutoff and you will be assessed on the 99%ile + your ATAR.

earfquack

Lurker
I saw in writing somewhere UNSW says SJT is of equal importance but that does not mean equal weighting. My speculation is your 620 will make the SJT cutoff and you will be assessed on the 99%ile + your ATAR.
Thank you A1. If possible, can you reference me to that statement please? (the webpage, email or whatnot).

Thank you A1. If possible, can you reference me to that statement please? (the webpage, email or whatnot).

A1 > It was in this post > UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

(This post was deleted by the poster, I have temporarily undeleted it to show you).

It was in this post > UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

(This post was deleted by the poster, I have temporarily undeleted it to show you).

alexhwkim > Thank you so much for the help!!

It was in this post > UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

earfquack > Awesome. I guess my decision is made then. Thanks A1!

nath456

Hey I'm in a similar boat. Ive got a cognitive score total in the 99th percentile, but an SJT of 600. I'm really hoping for a UNSW offer, would the SJT be enough to pass that kind of hurdle?

Thanks!

ABT123

Hey I'm in a similar boat. Ive got a cognitive score total in the 99th percentile, but an SJT of 600. I'm really hoping for a UNSW offer, would the SJT be enough to pass that kind of hurdle?

Thanks!
My guess is that there could be a hurdle at around 50th percentile. So, based on the mean of 592, 600 should be above that. The only thing that really complicates this is that SJT is not normally distributed, so I guess its best to just wait and see.

Reactions: A1

A1

Rookie Doc
My guess is that there could be a hurdle at around 50th percentile. So, based on the mean of 592, 600 should be above that. The only thing that really complicates this is that SJT is not normally distributed, so I guess its best to just wait and see.

Adding to this reply, though highly competitive to get an interview UNSW's eligibility thresholds have been quite lenient eg. ATAR 96 vs 99 at UQ/UWA, UMAT 150 total instead of 50/50/50 minimum. As such I feel if UNSW is to set an SJT threshold it's likely to be less than 50%ile (like many UK schools only disqualify the bottom 20-25% band).

Hi are you able to say what the specific grades are? e.g. A*AAA etc. I also do A levels but am not 100% sure of the conversation to Atar (it also seems to vary between some units too)

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Which universities (in all of Australia) require additional forms to be filled in and submitted? Including online application forms directly to the university that are made alongside the TAC preferences, predicted atar forms and anything else required.
I know that UWA and Curtin have predicted ATAR forms that can be filled in for WA applicants, I know that JMP/UNSW/WSU require you to apply directly to them as well as to UAC. I know that JCU requires a written component (do you also need to submit the predicted ATAR application form?).

REGULAR JOE

Hi are you able to say what the specific grades are? e.g. A*AAA etc. I also do A levels but am not 100% sure of the conversation to Atar (it also seems to vary between some units too)
Hi. This applies ONLY if you're a domestic student.
A*A*A*A*=99.95
A*A*A*A=99.70
A*A*AA=99.45
FOR 3 SUBJECTS;
A*A*A*=99.45
Other combinations Im not sure. These grades were from SATAC. Probably other states use the same conversion as well but I'm not sure. If you did 4 subjects they would convert 4 subjects and 3 best subjects separately and use the higher one. Good luck with your application! Hope you get in.

Hi. This applies ONLY if you're a domestic student.
A*A*A*A*=99.95
A*A*A*A=99.70
A*A*AA=99.45
FOR 3 SUBJECTS;
A*A*A*=99.45
Other combinations Im not sure. These grades were from SATAC. Probably other states use the same conversion as well but I'm not sure. If you did 4 subjects they would convert 4 subjects and 3 best subjects separately and use the higher one. Good luck with your application! Hope you get in.
Thanks for the reply. After seeing that I think different states do the conversion differently then. Last year I had A*A*AA and got an offer from Griffith which I believe needed a 99.75 (using 4 subjects). Do you have a link to where you found this or anything of the sorts? I'm just a bit shocked because I've emailed monash and they replied saying they look at 3 a levels (I think Uadel also looks at 3) but if A*A*A* can only give 99.45 isn't that quite a set back for students taking a levels because in the situation where a student got 3A* they would likely at least need 96+%ile and a very good interview to get an offer? (particularly for Uadel seeing as the conversions above are from satac).

Sorry if I'm coming across as questioning the credibility of your information or anything like that. Just a bit anxious now because I took a gap year to resit Umat thinking my atar conversion would around 99.4-6ish range (depending on the uni) and it would be a big yikes if I've got my info all wrong.

Does anyone else here have any insight on A level to atar conversions?

Thank you

REGULAR JOE

Thanks for the reply. After seeing that I think different states do the conversion differently then. Last year I had A*A*AA and got an offer from Griffith which I believe needed a 99.75 (using 4 subjects). Do you have a link to where you found this or anything of the sorts? I'm just a bit shocked because I've emailed monash and they replied saying they look at 3 a levels (I think Uadel also looks at 3) but if A*A*A* can only give 99.45 isn't that quite a set back for students taking a levels because in the situation where a student got 3A* they would likely at least need 96+%ile and a very good interview to get an offer? (particularly for Uadel seeing as the conversions above are from satac).

Sorry if I'm coming across as questioning the credibility of your information or anything like that. Just a bit anxious now because I took a gap year to resit Umat thinking my atar conversion would around 99.4-6ish range (depending on the uni) and it would be a big yikes if I've got my info all wrong.

Does anyone else here have any insight on A level to atar conversions?

Thank you
Really!!!! You got A*A*AA and you got an offer from Griffith!Are you sure. Because if thats true then wow I can do medicine after all without even an interview. Are you a rural student(maybe thats why you got an offer)?
Also I had contacted griffith uni earlier and they said"the highest ATAR that can be achieved with 3 A Level subjects is 99.50"

And btw the conversions werent on the satac website. I emailed them.

Last edited by a moderator:

room1

Sorry not sure if this is the right place to ask but how exactly do QTAC preferences work? Say if you were to put UQ Medicine as number 1 preference and UQ Dent as number 2, if you got accepted into UQ Medicine, would you not receive an offer for UQ Dent?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Sorry not sure if this is the right place to ask but how exactly do QTAC preferences work? Say if you were to put UQ Medicine as number 1 preference and UQ Dent as number 2, if you got accepted into UQ Medicine, would you not receive an offer for UQ Dent?
Yes, your understanding is correct. You can only gain one offer (from the highest preference you’re eligible for) per offer round from each TAC.

A1

Rookie Doc

That's the main purpose of applying through a TAC for multiple unis/schools. If you qualify for both UQ Med + UQ Dent the schools will send their offers to QTAC first then QTAC will divert "your" UQ Dent spot to another applicant rather than leaving them hanging until you decline one.

It works the same across unis too, like someone qualified both UNSW + WSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.