Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. App. Sci. (Physiotherapy)/JMP Medicine IV

WSU will use GPA or ATAR, whichever is higher. So you should be fine regardless of what your end of year GPA ends up being as your ATAR easily passes the 95.5 hurdle for non gws applicants.
Thank you for these swift replies! May I ask where you found this information just so I can go have a read for myself?

maniacfish

Thank you for these swift replies! May I ask where you found this information just so I can go have a read for myself?
No problem.
Here are some useful resources for WSU.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Also, just as an FYI, the information maniacfish has given you is true up until the point that you have a completed degree. I note that this is your third year of university, however I'm assuming your Physiotherapy degree is a 4 year degree? If so, then I think you are fine, but if you were in a 3 year degree and were due to complete it this year, then WSU would no longer consider your ATAR, even if it was above the hurdle and your GPA was below. That said, the GPA hurdle also drops a bit at the point where a completed degree is used.

Also, just as an FYI, the information maniacfish has given you is true up until the point that you have a completed degree. I note that this is your third year of university, however I'm assuming your Physiotherapy degree is a 4 year degree? If so, then I think you are fine, but if you were in a 3 year degree and were due to complete it this year, then WSU would no longer consider your ATAR, even if it was above the hurdle and your GPA was below. That said, the GPA hurdle also drops a bit at the point where a completed degree is used.
Thanks for clarifying this guys, this forum has been extremely helpful for me :) One laaaaast question (for today), how do these universities obtain my ATAR after all these years? Do they contact UAC/my high school? I've been curious these past couple of years as to how they do this.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks for clarifying this guys, this forum has been extremely helpful for me :) One laaaaast question (for today), how do these universities obtain my ATAR after all these years? Do they contact UAC/my high school? I've been curious these past couple of years as to how they do this.

You will still do your non-standard application to WSU (and JMP and UNSW, etc) through UAC, so they won't need to contact UAC, they are UAC :D

You will still do your non-standard application to WSU (and JMP and UNSW, etc) through UAC, so they won't need to contact UAC, they are UAC
So that means UAC has a record of everyone's HSC results?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So that means UAC has a record of everyone's HSC results?

Yep! Or they can get them if you're from interstate! I applied to UNSW a couple of years ago (despite a completed degree, they still use ATAR) and I didn't even have an ATAR because I finished year 12 last century when it was called something else, and they were still able to use an ATAR equivalent for me, presumably by retrieving the info from the Tasmanian version of UAC. I didn't have to do anything, I didn't even have to give them my high school student number (I don't even know if I had a high school student number!).

D

Deleted member 37156

Quick Q: Is it harder to receive an offer at Monash compared to UNSW for applicants who live in NSW? I've heard Monash is difficult for interstate students but they also have a larger amount of places - a total of 237 i think, but I know that some of those places will be set aside for rural etc.

A1

Rookie Doc
Quick Q: Is it harder to receive an offer at Monash compared to UNSW for applicants who live in NSW? I've heard Monash is difficult for interstate students but they also have a larger amount of places - a total of 237 i think, but I know that some of those places will be set aside for rural etc.

It's definitely harder to get a Monash interview for interstate applicants. For place offers Monash's larger amount of places is irrelevant since it depends on how many Monash sets aside for the interstate offer round. Some years there were enough places for virtually all who bothered to turn up for interview (don't forget they already had very high ATAR+UMAT to get the interview), recent years not so generous.

EtA: VTAC publication showed for 2018 & 2019 intakes Monash offered 210-220 places in the main round to locals + rurals. That left only 20-30 places (plus any declines) for the 80-100 interstate interviewees.

Last edited:

AgentWin

Anyone have any idea on the correct weightings used in the selection process for a place offer at UWA med this year? One page on their website says that UCAT, ATAR and interview will be weighted 1:2:2, as in previous years High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia. Another page says that all three components will be weighted equally Direct Pathway entry to Medicine and Dentistry for domestic applicants. Also any idea on what the weightings used for a place offer at Curtin med will be this year, will it also be UCAT, ATAR and interview in the ratio 1:2:2 as in prior years?

A1

Rookie Doc
Anyone have any idea on the correct weightings used in the selection process for a place offer at UWA med this year? One page on their website says that UCAT, ATAR and interview will be weighted 1:2:2, as in previous years High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia. Another page says that all three components will be weighted equally Direct Pathway entry to Medicine and Dentistry for domestic applicants. Also any idea on what the weightings used for a place offer at Curtin med will be this year, will it also be UCAT, ATAR and interview in the ratio 1:2:2 as in prior years?

Curtin has been 40:60 UCAT/ATAR for interview selection and 1:2:2 for place offers. Still is I suppose since the 2020 Guide does not indicate otherwise
> https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/u...edicine-Admissions-Guide-2020_updated-JUL.pdf

For UWA with UMAT, interview selection weighting was not known, place offer was 1:2:2.

From this year with UCAT, apparently the UWA team visiting schools said interview selection will be all on UCAT (provided your predicted ATAR meets the threshold). I have just called UWA who confirms it will be equally weighted for place offers, they will amend the incorrect 1:2:2 info. Thanks for pointing that out.

AgentWin

Curtin has been 40:60 UCAT/ATAR for interview selection and 1:2:2 for place offers. Still is I suppose since the 2020 Guide does not indicate otherwise
> https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/u...edicine-Admissions-Guide-2020_updated-JUL.pdf

For UWA with UMAT, interview selection weighting was not known, place offer was 1:2:2.

From this year with UCAT, apparently the UWA team visiting schools said interview selection will be all on UCAT (provided your predicted ATAR meets the threshold). I have just called UWA who confirms it will be equally weighted for place offers, they will amend the incorrect 1:2:2 info. Thanks for pointing that out.
I'm pretty sure that UWA also solely based interview selection on UMAT last year as well, in fact in my interview offer email it stated that, 'We are pleased to inform you that, based upon your Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT)* ranking, and because your predicted Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) indicates that you are likely to meet the minimum academic threshold of 99.0, we would like to offer you the opportunity to move to the next stage of the process in December.' Interestingly enough, I know people with predicted ATARs below 99.0 who did receive an interview invite last year (though they were automatically eliminated from a place offer afterwards as their actual ATARs was also lower than 99.0).

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Does anyone know whether a 62nd percentile is enough to get an interview for WSU or JMP?? I'm a non-standard applicant from NZ
I reckon that's a probably not. Unless you qualify for some sort of EAS bonus or something.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, what are all the Australian university that have undergraduate medicine programs (bonus if chemistry isn't a prerequisite)

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Last edited by a moderator:

ucatsyd

Hi, I was just curious as to what types of volunteering/work experience you all have been doing which may aid your interview?
- and do they have a big impact on your interview ? or do interviewers tend not to ask these questions?

Thanks in advance!!

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hi, I was just curious as to what types of volunteering/work experience you all have been doing which may aid your interview?
- and do they have a big impact on your interview ? or do interviewers tend not to ask these questions?

Thanks in advance!!
If anything I'd say do something you love, and do some work experience. Actually talk to doctors and have a good conversation with staff at both a junior and senior level to see what their lives are like. You don't want to get into a profession you've never seen before.

Hi

Since some of you guys have been here for a few years, I wanted to ask realistic chances of me scoring an interview @ non school leaver med/dent programs. My 2018 ATAR was 98.55, and my 2018 UMAT was 77th (ik I flopped hard but eh). Got a monash med interview and bombed it. I did the UCAT this year and scored 89th%ile, and my GPA as it stands is 7.0 (WAM of 95 ~BioMed). I also have EAS for living in bottom 30% of aussie locations and financial hardship (broke as tbh). I think I might be able to score an interview @ JMP (big if tho), what u guys reckon?

A1

Rookie Doc
Since some of you guys have been here for a few years, I wanted to ask realistic chances of me scoring an interview @ non school leaver med/dent programs. My 2018 ATAR was 98.55, and my 2018 UMAT was 77th (ik I flopped hard but eh). Got a monash med interview and bombed it. I did the UCAT this year and scored 89th%ile, and my GPA as it stands is 7.0 (WAM of 95 ~BioMed). I also have EAS for living in bottom 30% of aussie locations and financial hardship (broke as tbh). I think I might be able to score an interview @ JMP (big if tho), what u guys reckon?

I'm optimistic 89%ile will get JMP interview. Little hope for WSU since you are not GWS presumably.

As they are it's also not quite enough for UNSW even with GPA 7.0 (due to your ATAR 98.55 weighing it down). But ask Smelly Boy whether you can get EAS considerations to boost your ATAR to 99.55 or .95, that might help get an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.