Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath456

Sorry just to confirm (I’m a little paranoid haha), I haven’t even gone to uni or anything, all I have is an email from jcu saying that my deferment was approved and that I’m withdrawn from any subjects, I will get correspondence to commence after 12 months etc. This is all normal right? Im just so excited haha. Thanks for your help

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Sorry just to confirm (I’m a little paranoid haha), I haven’t even gone to uni or anything, all I have is an email from jcu saying that my deferment was approved and that I’m withdrawn from any subjects, I will get correspondence to commence after 12 months etc. This is all normal right? Im just so excited haha. Thanks for your help

Yep, that’s normal and you’re all good to go for another round of applications.

Also, just an FYI given an earlier post of yours: we’ve had confirmation UNSW won’t be using SJT this year, which I think will make you happy :D

Last edited:

dee7275

Hi! I was wondering if anyone was able to tell me about medicine/dentistry at Griffith University please? I am unsure whether their program is still available and if so how to apply?

zx72ksq8o

Hi! I was wondering if anyone was able to tell me about medicine/dentistry at Griffith University please? I am unsure whether their program is still available and if so how to apply?
I think it's postgraduate - you need to do a bachelor degree and pass with a gpa point average of 5.0, sit gamsat and do the GUMSAA

Is the closing date for all med applications (every state) Sept 30th?
Nope. Off the top my head, Flinders, Griffith and USyd all have their application deadlines in December. Generally speaking, schools that require an interview will likely have an earlier closing date.

But yeah UNSW, Monash, UWA, Adelaide, JMP, UWS and Curtin etc. all have their closing dates on Sept 30th

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
What did you want to know? Yes, the programs are still available. To apply for provisional entry to the MD as a school-leaver, you either apply through UAC or QTAC. Same goes for dentistry.
I think it's postgraduate - you need to do a bachelor degree and pass with a gpa point average of 5.0, sit gamsat and do the GUMSAA
This is describing the graduate entry pathway. Note that there are two different pathways of entry: graduate and provisional (for school-leavers). Realistically for a non-rural applicant pursuing graduate entry you’d want a much, much higher GPA than a 5 (I’d say minimum 6.5 if you had a very very strong GAMSAT).

swaggyp1

Hey guys,

Just to avoid paranoia, for JMP all I need to do is UAC and direct application right? Is there any way to ensure the direct application has been admitted? Or is the email confirmation the only way of confirming it has been submitted?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys,

Just to avoid paranoia, for JMP all I need to do is UAC and direct application right? Is there any way to ensure the direct application has been admitted? Or is the email confirmation the only way of confirming it has been submitted?

I didn’t get an automated confirmation email for my direct JMP application a couple of years ago when I applied. I waited about 10 days and then contacted them and they were more than happy to confirm it with me directly, so if you don’t hear from them and are worried, definitely contact them (I emailed).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
As an interstater from Vic, Should I put WSU or JMP higher in my application preferences?

With a UCAT of 89th%ile you may struggle to get a WSU interview invite. Given invites come out well before preferences need to be finalised, you’ll know whether to bother including WSU in your preferences at all.

If you do get an interview for WSU and preference it above JMP in UAC, you may get a WSU offer in the main UAC round in early Jan (whereas you won’t have sat your JMP interview at this time and it may therefore save you a flight for a second interview).

But all this is contingent on whether 89th %ile gets a non-rural, non-GWS WSU interview, and I’d be leaning towards probably not, unfortunately.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

Hi, just to add onto the above because I've noticed some recent changes on some application sites. On UAC, I believe they may have removed the "provisional entry into MD for school leavers" part in brackets after the Bachelor of Medical Science degree. However, the Bachelor of Medical Science degree is still the same as before (with similar entry requirements to last year) and still gives direct entry into MD, so placing that degree by itself is basically the same as applying to Griffith provisional MD.

Also note the GC and Nathan campuses need to be applied separately. Only GC is available on UAC, both GC and Nathan are available on QTAC, each has a different cutoff and similar intake per campus each year.

GC: Bachelor of Medical Science (1280)
Nathan: Bachelor of Medical Science (1306)

Last edited:

zx72ksq8o

Has anybody ever managed to get points from the ACCESS scheme for family illness and therefore excessive family responsibilities?

A1

Rookie Doc
Does this mean that there is a chance for UCAT 89 for UWS for a person from GWS.

From last year's collated data

[invite received - GWS
181 (91st%ile) 59/65/57, 6.62, (S1+S2= 124)
179 (89th%ile) 71/56/53, 99.80, GWS, (127)
177 (87th%ile) 67/70/40, 6.17, GWS, (137)
175 (84th%ile) 65/65/45, 6.00, GWS, (130)

[no invite yet - GWS
187 (95th%ile) 65/54/68, 6.00, GWS, (119)
181 (91st%ile) 51/70/60, unknown GPA, GWS, (121) ]

A few sub-90%ile overall got an interview yet a 95%ile GWS didn't, because their sections 1+2 was lower. Ignoring the small contribution from section 3 for simplicity the S1+S2 cutoff was around 122 = 91-92ish section %ile.

Translating this to UCAT Overall if that's what WSU is going to use it's equivalent to UCAT 90-91ish %ile. But 89 shouldn't give up hope yet.

I've just started doing my applications and on the specific jmp application where is asks for your 2019 ucat anz id there is 'ANZ' in grey right next to the box to inout your id. Does this mean you only need to put in the numbers of your id or do you still need to add the anz followed by the numbers? I know this probably sounds really pedantic but i guess i've gotten this far and i'm scared of messing up something minor :/ Also would I be right in assuming that in any other applications where they ask for ucat id that the anz is required if it isn't next to the input box in grey already?

From last year's collated data

[invite received - GWS
181 (91st%ile) 59/65/57, 6.62, (S1+S2= 124)
179 (89th%ile) 71/56/53, 99.80, GWS, (127)
177 (87th%ile) 67/70/40, 6.17, GWS, (137)
175 (84th%ile) 65/65/45, 6.00, GWS, (130)

[no invite yet - GWS
187 (95th%ile) 65/54/68, 6.00, GWS, (119)
181 (91st%ile) 51/70/60, unknown GPA, GWS, (121) ]

A few sub-90%ile overall got an interview yet a 95%ile GWS didn't, because their sections 1+2 was lower. Ignoring the small contribution from section 3 for simplicity the S1+S2 cutoff was around 122 = 91-92ish section %ile.

Translating this to UCAT Overall if that's what WSU is going to use it's equivalent to UCAT 90-91ish %ile. But 89 shouldn't give up hope yet.
🤞.thank you

PiKay

I have completed my UAC application a week or so ago.

After reading this thread I logged in to change preferences to put UWS first (applying from SA).
On top of the preference list it says:

"You cannot change your preferences until the next round of offers has been made. Check the important dates for admissions on the UAC website. "

Is this the same for everyone?
If yes when can the preferences be changed?

A second question.
Under each of the course preferences it says:

"Decision pending - English language requirements. "

Do I need to do anything about it or just wait till SATAC sends the details of my Y12 English course?

CatzDreaming

Medical Student 🐐
I have completed my UAC application a week or so ago.

After reading this thread I logged in to change preferences to put UWS first (applying from SA).
On top of the preference list it says:

"You cannot change your preferences until the next round of offers has been made. Check the important dates for admissions on the UAC website. "

Is this the same for everyone?
If yes when can the preferences be changed?

A second question.
Under each of the course preferences it says:

"Decision pending - English language requirements. "

Do I need to do anything about it or just wait till SATAC sends the details of my Y12 English course?
To answer your first question, this does happen to everyone and you should be able to change your preferences within the next week or so. For your second question, you shouldn't need to worry about it as they are just general tracker notes that will be updated once SATAC sends over your details.

Status
Not open for further replies.