Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

zx72ksq8o

It’s true. You get to elect the undergraduate degree you want to do when you get a provisional entry offer. It doesn’t matter what the length of the degree is, however, most people elect to do 3 year degrees because they already have guaranteed entry to medicine and don’t want to waste extra time.

So it's not like I need to apply for dent separately? They just look at my ucat score / op for medicine and I'm in both if I pick provisional med?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
So it's not like I need to apply for dent separately? They just look at my ucat score / op for medicine and I'm in both if I pick provisional med?
Correct. If you get an offer for med then they’ll contact you asking what undergraduate degree you want to enrol in. If you want to apply to dent separately, however, if you were concerned about missing out on med and it was a back up option, then you’d still need to include it in your preferences.

Kingbogan

Hi all, new here. I don't want to waste anyone time as I could probably research this myself, but I was wondering if anyone had a list of which uni's are deferable and which are not.
Thanks in advance, King

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi all, new here. I don't want to waste anyone time as I could probably research this myself, but I was wondering if anyone had a list of which uni's are deferable and which are not.
Thanks in advance, King
Welcome to MSO! :) I’m going to assume you’re talking about medicine specifically?

Haven’t seen a formal list on here myself - but if you do happen to research it, please do get back to us with a list! ;) I know Griffith provisional, UQ provisional, Flinders provisional, JCU and UTAS are all deferrable off the top of my head. JMP is too but I think you may need to have exceptional circumstances. Other unis likely are as well, I just can’t guarantee others off the top of my head, sorry.

Lawrencealot

Newish member
Welcome to MSO! :) I’m going to assume you’re talking about medicine specifically?

Haven’t seen a formal list on here myself - but if you do happen to research it, please do get back to us with a list! ;) I know Griffith provisional, UQ provisional, Flinders provisional, JCU and UTAS are all deferrable off the top of my head. JMP is too but I think you may need to have exceptional circumstances. Other unis likely are as well, I just can’t guarantee others off the top of my head, sorry.
Adelaide is also deferrable by 2 years

A1

Rookie Doc

Having both UQ Med and Dent in your pref list can only get you one offer, presumably med. Usually that means you qualify for dent as well but you are not automatically in both. You need to contact UQ Med Admissions to request dent for undergrad. They have successfully organised for someone before, it's not guaranteed though.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Do medical schools have a preference of school leavers over gap year students?
I don't see how they the interviewers are supposed to know unless you tell them during the interview (unless they get to read your TAC application in its entirety?)

REGULAR JOE

I don't see how they the interviewers are supposed to know unless you tell them during the interview (unless they get to read your TAC application in its entirety?)
Hey ucatboy, thanks for the reply. I meant do they have a preference during the place offers stage after the interview

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey ucatboy, thanks for the reply. I meant do they have a preference during the place offers stage after the interview

The offer stage works entirely on your Final ranking whatever that be. No reason for the school to dislike gap yearers at that stage. If they do dislike they would bar them from applying, like UQ.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Nah not at all - everyone's treated equally and selection is only based on ATAR/UCAT/interview. The only exception is UQ, which to my knowledge doesn't accept gap year students into its provisional med course?

Edit: Damn it A1 you beat me to the punch hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: A1

gambatte

Just wondering, if you are interstate and do your interview earlier with the state cohort, would the final offer come out earlier as well? Specifically for UAC - is 10 Jan a possibility?

A1

Rookie Doc
Just wondering, if you are interstate and do your interview earlier with the state cohort, would the final offer come out earlier as well? Specifically for UAC - is 10 Jan a possibility?

Interstates doing the same interview round with instates will know their results in the same January offer round.

zx72ksq8o

Hi all, is there any reason why anybody would want to study both dentistry and medicine other than to be an oral & maxillofacial surgeon?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do in the long run ... so I'm just tryna keep my options open :)

A1

Rookie Doc

Cal

vibe
Hi all, is there any reason why anybody would want to study both dentistry and medicine other than to be an oral & maxillofacial surgeon?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do in the long run ... so I'm just tryna keep my options open :)
Unless you want unnecessary debt 😉

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It's not really much, 22k extra debt for Dent rather than a nondescript 3-year degree is a huge bargain ;)

It’s only a “huge bargain” if you actually need the degree though, otherwise it’s just... 22k you could have spent on something else!

I mean, that’d be like Yamster buying a Tiffany’s paperclip only “because it’s on sale” which... oh, wait...

😎

Status
Not open for further replies.