Quick Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by Dazzy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    For non-standard (which is the only route I'm really familiar with), it's calculated based on your results per semester (or annually) and then either used on its own or in combination with your ATAR depending on which University you're talking about.

UNSW: 50% ATAR, 50% GPA regardless of how long ago yr 12 was for you
    WSU: 100% ATAR or 100% GPA, depending on which is higher for you at the time of calculating, and up until you have graduated with a degree, at which point it becomes 100% GPA
    JMP: 100% GPA once you've done a full year of tertiary study
    Bond: a combination of GPA and ATAR if you've done two years or less of tertiary study
    JCU: I am not 100% sure about
    Curtin: 100% GPA and you have to have a completed degree

As far as I'm aware, it makes no difference if your degree is single or dual. GPA is calculated in the same manner. The uni you are at makes a bit of a difference, too. So, for example, at UTAS the following is true:
    50-59= pass=4
    60-69= credit=5
    70-79= distinction=6
    80-100= high distinction=7

Whereas, I think some other universities use 85-100=high distinction=7

KRO likes this.
  2. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Nope. In fact, this appears to be different wording to previous years re. conditional offers. I'd recommend contacting the RAP office (unfortunately, I think they only have an email address unless you ask to specifically be put through to them) directly, as I doubt regular admissions will be able to enlighten you.

If you do get an answer, please let us know :D

Congrats on your offer.

3. biom

biom Regular Member

The majority of unis have a slightly different scheme.
    50-64= pass=4
    65-74= credit=5
    75-84= distinction=6
    85-100= high distinction=7

The comparability of grades and schemes between unis is probably the subject of a dissertation somewhere. For more details see Academic grading in Australia - Wikipedia

4. JMP Lova

JMP Lova JMP is ma’ bae.

JMP hopeful
    Awesome, thanks LMG! Congrats to you too, on your offer. At UTAS?

5. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Ooh, do you know something I don't? ;)

(I don't have any offers - yet, hopefully!)

6. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

You have no idea how excited I got then how disappointed I was reading the two posts above.

Good luck, LMG!. We support you fully!

- edit -

It seems like I am on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster this afternoon. Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Offers Only)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. pi

pi Junior Doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    Hi,

Thanks for contributing to MSO Stuart!

Please follow the current posting rules in the future: do not double-post and take topics off-topic, and if so please use off-topic spoilers. This is a thread for quick questions, not quick comments.

This is a post made on behalf of the forum moderators in order to ensure fellow moderators do not flaunt the rules and bring the forum into disrepute. Cheers.

acbard9 likes this.
  8. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

I apologise for the mistake, pi. I got too excited about the news. I have edited my posts accordingly.

acbard9 likes this.
  9. davatte

davatte Member

Hey guys, I've got a question about receiving offers.

If I am offered a rank 5 preference on UAC and have accepted it, will accepting the offer prevent me from receiving further offers in later rounds? Thanks in advance!

10. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    When you accept an offer on UAC (or any other of those tertiary admissions centres like VTAC etc), then when you receive a preference, it will allow you to select from several options (and I paraphrase here):

1. Accept this offer and include me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers
    2. Accept this offer and EXCLUDE me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers (not recommended)
    3. Decline this offer but include me in any further offer rounds for any preferences on my list (even the lower ones)
    4. Decline this offer and EXCLUDE me from any further offer rounds

The above is reasonably self-explanatory.

11. davatte

davatte Member

Thanks for the quick reply Mana, for my case UAC has directed me directly to the university's website to accept my offer (CSU Dentistry). There are no options for me to include myself in further rounds for higher preferences on the CSU website nor the UAC website, have you heard of anyone else experiencing this before?

[There is a section in the acceptance declaration saying "acceptance of this offer any other course preferences will be cancelled."]

12. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    That's rather interesting, and arguably a little bit anti-competitive. Do you have a deadline on when you have to accept the offer by?

13. davatte

davatte Member

Yeah I'm given til the 13th to decide. Will be contacting the university regarding this to see if they are the ones who submit the response of acceptance to UAC or not. It does feel like a gamble if I don't accept it considering I've only gotten one other interview for Medicine.

14. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Based on previous advice that, if someone receives a via-UAC offer for their 1st pref they can accept then move it to a lower pref, they might get another offer for one of the other prefs in 2nd round. That means their other prefs are still valid.

I think the above statement^, if on CSU website, is meant for other CSU prefs only i.e. you will not get another CSU offer but you can get another elsewhere offer via UAC.

15. Haq94

Haq94 Member

I just finished my BSc in zoology at Otago and the grades have been pretty horrible over years due to some family tragedies.
    I’m going to start a pgdip in 2018 at Otago uni followed by a masters by thesis.
    I was reading that Curtin University accepts relevent non-school leavers qualifications namely bachelors degree, diploma for graduates, Postgraduate Diploma and doctorate for admission purposes with a minimum ATAR of 92 (although I don’t really know how you calculate it since I’m from NZ). Does it mean that I don’t have to do a masters and apply on the basis of postgraduate diploma provided my BSc grades don’t get assessed?

16. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Page 4 of this doc gives the grade required for your qualification level > https://courses.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/mbbs-admissions-guide-09052017.pdf

The way it's shown it appears you can apply with a grad/postgrad diploma and the grade is not counted back to your BSc. Note you will need to sit UMAT the year you want to apply.

17. karenh

karenh Regular Member

For the Adel interview, did you sign the conflict of interest declaration after the interview or before? And who's supposed to witness it?

18. Ruffle

Ruffle UWA MD minus-II

I signed it before and brought it with me to the interview.
    I think the people at the front desk are the witnesses- don't worry about that part. They check your paperwork pretty thoroughly so they'll tell you if anything's missing.
    Best of luck!

karenh likes this.
  19. karenh

karenh Regular Member

Thanks so much!

Ruffle likes this.
  20. Haq94

Haq94 Member

It says An indicative notional ATAR of 92.
    Not sure what grade does it indicate?