Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Ranking Calculation Formula -

TheLad

Hi,

I was wondering if someone would be able to explain the logistics of the final rank calculations.

I.e: How they do actually rank your GPA, MMI and UMAT. What would the significance be in your rank if you got a 9.0 vs an 8.75.

Is there a specific formula that the Uni release.

Hope this question makes sense :)

TheLad

Hey,

Attached is the ranking calculation formula used by UoA for MBChB. It's a bit outdated, in that they used panel interview instead of MMI - but on contacting FMHS they confirmed the formulas are still the same (except interview).

My question is what is the 'std dev GPA'. I know the mathematical concept of std dev, but why would they use it in these calculations and why divide it by candidates means?

Thanks!
Ranking%20Fomula%20-%202014.pdf

For some reason, I can't attach the link: so here it is in words:

'
Appendix B: 2014 MB ChB Selection Methodology
FY: must have completed BHSc or BSc in Biomedical Science at the University of Auckland in the year of application Grad: must have completed a full-time degree from a NZ university within 5 years prior to application
Weighting: GPA 60% / Interview 25% / UMAT 15% (excl. "Must have" and "Must not have" based on interview score) Interview Score: 10 out of 10 - gain automatic entry; 2 out of 10 - automatic elimination
Final Ranking Formula for General Category and RRAS Category: {(applicant's GPA-mean GPA)/Std Dev GPA} X 0.6 + {(applicant's Interview score-mean Interview score)/ Std Dev Interview score} X 0.25 + {(applicant's average UMAT score-mean average UMAT score)/ Std Dev average UMAT score} X 0.15 Note - Mean and standard deviation are calculated from the scores for each category. Within the General Category, FY mean and standard deviation are calculated independently of Grad mean and standard deviation. No ranking formula used for MAPAS Category. Admissions under MAPAS Category determined by MAPAS Admissions Panel.
UMAT: Overall Score. Average UMAT score = Overall Score/3
GPA: A+: 9 A: 8 A-: 7 B+: 6 B: 5 B-: 4 C+: 3 C: 2 C-: 1 D+ or below: 0
FY: average of 4 common courses (Poplhlth 111/Biosci107/Chem110/Medsci142). Grad: last two full-time years
Interview:
General Category - panel of two RRAS Category - panel of three MAPAS Category - panel of two (same as General) + separate MAPAS specialty interview'

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi TheLad,

Welcome to MSO.

I am sorry, I only just noticed that your question was unanswered.

In general, subtracting the mean and dividing by the standard deviation is a method of standardisation. That is, the mean will be zero and the variance will be one. This is because the three variables are measuring different quantities.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads