Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Recognition of Prior Learning Questions and Discussion

Sunny2318

Lurker
Hey Yall,
So I recently accepted my offer to study Medicine at JCU and was wondering how the credit system worked. Prior to accepting this offer, I had completed 2 years of Paramedicine at Griffith University. I know medicine is very different to Paramedicine but some of the first year subjects should be very similar. I know the only way to actually know if to apply for credit but was just wondering if any of yous here would know is all. Also, if anyone wanted to know, I am a non rural and non standard student and had a GPA of 6.7 when I applied for Med.
Kind Regards
Sunny

alexlipton

JCU MBBS II
Valued Member
Hey Yall,
So I recently accepted my offer to study Medicine at JCU and was wondering how the credit system worked. Prior to accepting this offer, I had completed 2 years of Paramedicine at Griffith University. I know medicine is very different to Paramedicine but some of the first year subjects should be very similar. I know the only way to actually know if to apply for credit but was just wondering if any of yous here would know is all. Also, if anyone wanted to know, I am a non rural and non standard student and had a GPA of 6.7 when I applied for Med.
Kind Regards
Sunny
This is a really good question, and something that I'll let Benjamin or Toasted answer as I'm hoping you guys know more than me. My understanding is that it's really difficult - I spoke to a registered nurse and grad biomed student in our year - both who were unable to get credit for prior standing and had to start from first year so I'm not sure on how it all works. I'm afraid you are correct in asserting that the only way you'll really know for sure is if you apply and see what they say.

Benjamin

Admin (JCU MBBS)
Emeritus Staff
Hey Yall,
Kind Regards
Sunny
It used to be done, but I haven't heard of it happening in a while. Essentially JCU accredited about 10-15 people who skipped 1st year or 2nd year and into my cohort, only one of them actually made it through without failing at least once. There were other cohorts who had similar experiences.

As a result I think JCU mostly canned the RPL pathway except in circumstances of post-graduate degrees (e.g. PhD in biomed will probably get to skip first year). Things may have changed, it's been about 5 years since I've thought about it.