Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Revision/Study Platforms

Did you guys use any question banks?
I have so far been advised to try passmedicine
And passtest which are both Uk based.

found this today, it’s Australian but is it good?

what question banks would you guys recommend ?

Isiyara

UQ MD II
First of all, I have only used one question bank (AMBOSS) and so I can't really compare with anything else. A lot of question banks out there appear to cater for USMLE or specific medical exams which is why I decided on AMBOSS which caters for general medical studies as well. Another reason I chose it was because of the knowledge cards which I use quite a bit.

AMBOSS:
(+) Questions on AMBOSS have been great (so far) to nail the clinical questions in UQ exams
(+) Huge question bank + you can customise what questions you want to show up. Usually I choose system (e.g. respiratory) and then a *difficulty of either 1/5 or 2/5 depending on where I'm at with revision.
(+) Detailed reasons for why each question is correct or incorrect and link you to the relevant card in their knowledge bank.
(+) Knowledge bank is a really good resource on its own (esp. during semester) as it succinctly summarises concepts and includes radiology/pathology images with overlays and captions to help you understand.
(-) PRICE: It is about $15 (AUD) per month for the knowledge bank + 50 questions and an additional $72/month for unlimited questions
(-) Questions are pretty difficult for 1st year* ∴ it is better to use it AFTER you have revised content
(-) Be careful with treatment questions as Australian reccomendations/medications can differ from the US (I double check with lecture material)

I'm still considering whether I'll commit for semester 2 (I'm using it for free at the moment as they gave out some COVID scholarships). If I were to use this, I would probably do $15/month normally (as I mostly use the knowledge bank and 50Qs is more than enough), then add unlimited questions ($72/month) just for the month before exams.

------------------------------------
EDIT forgot one!
Here's another one. Though I can't review it in depth since I haven't used it much.
MedSchoolQuiz:
(+) Based on Australia medical curriculum
(+) Difficulty is reasonable, i.e. I could use this as I was learning content
(+) Questions are divided it by year level, systems and disciplines
(+) Radiology section is great as they have labels, overlays etc. and is catered for med school level (we only need to know basics at this point)
(-) Didn't help for the difficult clinical questions I got in my exams.
(-) Not comprehensive

Last edited:

hayati

(relevant to anyone in clinical years)

I have mainly been using passmedicine. I also use quesmed but normally when I'm on the wards as opposed to proper study sessions where I make anki cards etc. (I use passmed for that).

Both are fantastic, passmedicine especially because there is a discussion section. Whenever I'm confused about something I usually open the discussion and someone will have explained it. There are usually helpful mnemonics etc. which I just copy straight into anki. Additionally, usually when management differs from the UK an Australian comments what eTG says, though its probably better to look up yourself, especially for the more common conditions (I get a bit lazy to do that and am mostly just learning UK guidelines unless someone comments tbh, hasn't caused me any problems so far though and tends to be pretty much the same, but I am still only in second year where recognising conditions is a bigger focus than learning management pathways to a T). Quesmed is a bit harder than passmed and more useful when you've covered a topic well. The questions are mostly 'two-step,' e.g. based on the most likely diagnosis, what is the most important complication to watch for.

I do most of my learning from these qbanks as it really teaches me to differentiate presentations, namely a patient has presented like this, why is it more likely to be x and not y. I definitely cover the content before doing the questions mainly with lectures/videos on youtube and reading amboss, but I have found its significantly easier for me to learn how different conditions present using a qbank given the concepts get repeated over and over again and tested from different angles, compared to just writing and rewriting summary notes from lectures which takes much longer imo.

Since I have almost finished passmedicine/quesmed this year, I'll probably move onto BMJ or amboss qbank for years 3/4 of the MD as I don't think it'll be useful to do the same qbank again, with a greater focus on making sure to learn only Australian management guidelines.

BGyoo

Lurker
Hello,
I was wondering if you ever tried some underatted web sites like this one :

I don't know if it's me or not, but when i go to some "mainstream" platform, it doesn't seem relevant.
Anyway, let me know if it's the same for you.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads