Rural Offers

Discussion in 'New South Wales' started by Jake.f, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Jake.f

Jake.f Regular Member

Hey
    If anyone who got offers via the rural entry scheme for 2012 has the time could you post here:
    Your ATAR
    UMAT Score
    RRMA Rating
    Bonded/Unbonded/MRBS

I am hoping to get into UNSW med next year via rural and just want to see what sort of marks people get in with. I think I will end up with an atar in the lower end of the 90s so I take it I would have to have a brilliant UMAT score to be competitive?
    Thanks,
    Jake

(Sorry If there is already a thread for this, I could not find it...)

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Admin (JCU MBBS) Administrar

ATAR - 99.90
    UMAT - 174 raw, 57 average, 85th percentile.
    RRMA/whatever the new one is - 2
    Unbonded offer at Monash, UNCLE and JCU.

If you go to www.heydoc.net you can find all the data entered by people on MSO for last year's interviews and this year's admissions. It hasn't been graphed yet, but I think Daniel was going to do that sometime soon(?).

What you might notice is that UNSW has an incredibly competitive rural cohort, there's also a thread filled with UNSW rural applicants which is huge and is comprised mostly of us applicants complaining how we didn't get offers(the majority of us were interstaters, however). There's a few representative posts, though, if you search through:
    http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au...w-Offers&highlight=rural+unsw+interview+offer

I advise you to apply to UNCLE/UNE as well since they base admissions entirely on interview, thus if you don't do spectacularly in either UMAT or ATAR you'll still be in with a great chance. The cutoff for rural UMAT this year was fairly low, as it is with most rural universities - I can't remember exact numbers, but I think the bottom cutoff was around 50th percentile, you'd have to do a thread search though. You need an ATAR in the top 15% of Australia, which is around a 92-94, I think, and from then on out they base it on your interview only. Have a search for UNCLE RRAS or Rural UNCLE offers or something along those lines. If you want information about the interview's, I believe Season will be posting up something in the near future.

Best of luck, feel free to swing any questions about rural applications my way.

Also, consider applying interstate! UAdel has a pretty good rural scheme, as does Monash.

3. waterproof cordial

waterproof cordial Regular Member

Hi Jake!
    Good luck with your studies this year!
    I applied in 2009 with a 96.4 ATAR, 91st %tile UMAT and RRMA of 3
    Ended up getting MRBS in first round

You wont necessarily need an amazing UMAT if you get 90-95 ATAR. From what ive heard 80+ is still very competitive

4. Airbag

Airbag New Member

Yes the University of Adelaide has an awesome rural scheme. Although it is quite bias towards South Australians

5. macca91

macca91 Regular Member

Competitve atar for unbonded is around 96-97+, umat percentiles of 70-something+. I know many people that got in with somewhat lower atars or umat scores, but typically with bonded offers.

6. saraherin

saraherin Regular Member

Im a non standard, so average of GPA and atar is around 97.80 or so
    UMAT was 59 (89th%ile)
    RRMA 2, but 4 on the old system
    Received a unbonded offer

7. Paddyld

Paddyld Regular Member

Just to let you guys know, my friend got an ATAR of 98.55 and a 96th percentile UMAT and got a bonded spot and he was rural

8. Benjamin

As Paddy's post implies, and as many people have mentioned numerous, numerous times..The importance of the interview cannot be stressed highly enough.

9. Jjub

Jjub Regular Member

Hey Mate...

I got unbonded with ATAR 98.5 / GPA of 6.5, UMAT 92% and RRMA3 for 12 years (note UNSW still uses the old rating system for admissions purposes... not sure if they will update that this year... but if they do I am sure they will adjust the required rurality score accordingly).

As everyone is saying... the interview is really key... reading this site you see a LOT of RSES kids with very high ATARs and UMAT scores... but when I went to the interview I met people who had significantly lower scores than what I see on here... for example one guy had low 90s and 80-ish %ile for UMAT... he also got a first round unbonded offer... so must have had a fairly decent interview...

Good luck!

10. Jjub

Jjub Regular Member

[offtopic]

Sorry for double post... this thread reminded me that I read another thread a few months back in which some people were complaining that it's unfair that RSES allows students in with lower scores... to be honest though, it seems like lots of people on here in RSES still have quite high grades... on par with standard entry route applicants... and those that do have lower grades really must have very high interview scores... what do you think?

Also, I remember someone even saying that RSES students in general perform lower than the rest of the cohort in med... this is total cr@p right??

[/offtopic]

11. jazmin

jazmin Regular Member

I think rural students can get in easier.
    Atar: 96.35
    Umat: 54 (i think- it seems so long ago now)

I got into unsw and uncle.

But I doubt they performance in med is worse or second rate. That's just ridiculous.

12. Benjamin

This comes back to two things, the first being: do your marks in High School or UMAT have a significant bearing on your ability in medicine, and, do students from a rural area suffer by going to a city university or essentially from what would be cultural shock.

The former has been discussed to death and the latter can be somewhat proven (i.e. yes, they do) by the fact that many universities offer greater chances of admission to students from the region in which the university is located - e.g. Griffith, UNCLE/UNE, UTAS, UWA, UWS... so forth. From this, it can be somewhat extrapolated that students coming from outside of the region could potentially struggle to come to terms with the living conditions - I know that I turned down my Monash offer largely because I didn't think I could deal with living in Melbourne/even on the outskirts of Melbourne. Similarly, the cohort size at UQ is worrying me somewhat. In that respect, it's entirely possible that RSES students struggle more in general, though I'd say it's a very subjective thing and would wager that the interview process weeds out the socially inept so by second or third year the problem would be non-existant. Acclimatisation, and all that.

As for why RSES students are given preference, it's due to the lack of rural doctors. I'll speak for myself here(since I don't know of any studies addressing this): I personally would have absolutely no issue coming back to Cairns to work or working somewhere similar - essentially, going rural is no issue for me and I'd probably consider it as one of my first preferences if my chosen specialty was available there. It is for that reason that rural students are given preference - namely the fact that we've lived in rural conditions most of our lives and thus know how to deal with them - and rightly so.

13. macca91

macca91 Regular Member

With regards to performance, most RSES students I know perform at the same level or higher than city kids. One person I know who got in with 90 atar is currently sitting on a WAM of about 76, somewhat higher than most people. Marks in high school have little correlation once you are in.

14. andyjmck

andyjmck New Member

hey jake,

i'm here to basically make what everyone will say redundant. It's fair enough to worry about your umat and atar but at UNSW where i'm in first year the interview is really important too. And as a rural kid (which i am) you get a pretty good deal. If you're genuinely interested in medicine and you're personal, the interviewers will really go for you. it really helps to have good life experience too... dont be afraid to tell too much and get into the small, emotional and personal details of your life. Evidence of experience is what they like.

BUT, back on track. I got a bonded medical place at UNSW with atar 96.10 and umat 63rd percentile. so you can probably see how that makes what otehr people say about marks seem irrelevant. It also stresses the importance of the interview. My best mate also got a bonded medical place with an atar of 98.85 and umat 82nd percentile. My RRMA is 4.

good luck.

15. jackson96

jackson96 New Member

Hi,
    I got unbonded with rural (3), combined ATAR/Uni mark of 96 and UMAT of 78th percentile (56 I think??). I think I must have scored really high in the interview. I am a uni graduate and have 7 years' professional experience in a medically related field.

I think someone said it already - don't underestimate the importance of smashing the interview.

16. Benjamin

Well done :) Studying this year?

17. jackson96

jackson96 New Member

Thank you. Unfortunately I have not started. I had to defer to get life in order - moving from country to city; finding a place in Sydney to live; childcare etc etc. Very exciting though (and daunting!) - haven't studied properly for a long time.

18. Pete.med.hopeful

Pete.med.hopeful New Member

I got an offer for mrbs and unbonded for UNSW with an atar of 97.55 and a umat percentile of 58, with an rrma of 4. It is very possible to get in with lower marks. To reiterate, the importance of a good interview cannot be understated, as I feel it was my saving grace...

sorry to bring up an old thread, just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

19. qwerty12321

qwerty12321 New Member

Hi everyone,

I realise this is an old thread, but was just wondering how the rural ratings are determined? I spoke with UNSW, and they said something about the sum of the scores for primary and high school. However, she didn't really seem to have much idea when I pressed her for details.

Can anyone offer any advice?

20. will22

will22 Regular Member

The system used to classify you as rural or not-rural is not made up by each individual uni. The universities use systems that are already in place and that have been set up by the government for a range of purposes. You can find out more about how the categories are calculated by searching them in google. (e.g 'How is RRMA calculated')

These are the systems, which uni's use them and where you can find out if your location is considered rural:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012