Rural Offers

Discussion in 'New South Wales' started by Jake.f, Feb 6, 2011.

1. qwerty12321

qwerty12321 New Member

Thanks for this!

I was more wondering about how the length of time you spend in a location contributes to the score. For example, I lived in a very rural location (RRMA 7) until the age of 10 (just scrape into the 5 year rule). However, I attended high school in a capital city. I was just wondering how this would stack up against someone who might, say, have lived their entire life in a RRMA 4 zone?

2. will22

will22 Regular Member

The majority of universities will either classify you simply as rural or non-rural (using 5 year rule and a particular classification system) - the extent of remoteness or length is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. Once you are considered a rural candidate you will put into the rural stream on level terms with all the other rural students. I'm not sure whether this is true for UNWS or not. JCU is the only uni I know for sure that will look closely at the length and degree of rurality when ranking candidates.

In the end, this stuff is completely out of your control so don't waste too much time trying to figure it out. Just fill out the application forms honestly and focus on the the things that you can control (like getting good grades and performing well at the interview). Good luck!!

3. ellejay

ellejay Regular Member

So what sort of atar and umat would someone need to get an interview with an RRMA-5? I got around a 90, and umat of only around 153 or something? I will be applying for the EAS so that should up my atar somewhat. It says on the website that they consider a umat of 135, but is that realistic?

4. Xenon Hexafluoride

Xenon Hexafluoride here comes trouble

You are correct about JCU considering rurality when giving interviews and offers. UNSW also gives offers based on how rural they deem that you are, the four component they check are UMAT, ATAR, interview score and rural score (although I am not sure if these are evenly weighted). I am not sure if they look at how rural you have been whilst you have lived in rural areas (the five years) or whether they look at you whole schooling life.

5. wilson123

wilson123 New Member

What is the scope of the UMAT scores that they accept with say an ATAR of 98+, RRMA 3 and a great interview? A lot of what people are saying is guess work and from the UNSW rural site it is quite confusing..