Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Sample 1st yr Med Timetable?

teslarma

Hi everyone,
Offers come out in a week I know, so it's a bit nerve racking, but unfortunately I am required to make commitments to other things in my life well before all of this happens.. so I was just wondering.. to all current monash students, preferably first years.. what was your timetable like in first year?
I have been looking into all the courses I applied for, and just trying to get an idea of what I may be able to do..

soooo..

I assume it was 5 contact days a week?
What was the latest you would usually finish each day? Just an estimate would be great :)

I'm just trying to avoid making commitments now that I wont be able to keep in 2 months time..

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
you finish at 5 as the latest. You're looking at about 23 contact hours across 5 days. I won't post the timetable in case there are copyright issues but here is a summary. The first thing to know is that the timetable changes slightly week to week. Some weeks you have an afternoon off and the next you're in till 5. There is a group "a" and a group "b" one tends to get a better timetable (finishing at 3 instead of 5) but it swaps over semester to semester to make things fair.

as a representative sample, week 5 from sem2 was like this:

mon 9-5 with 4 hours break in the middle
tues 8-5 with 5 hours break in the middle
wed 9-2 with 2 hours break in the middle
thurs 8-5 with 3 hours break in the middle
fri 9-4 with one hours break in the middle

teslarma

Thanks for that ! that is already an awesome help.
What sort of classes is it that you normally have in the late afternoons?

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
tutorials a lot of the time. attendence is recorded and you need an 80% attendance rate to pass the year. In first semester you might have the group that finishes at 3 though so who knows...

teslarma

yeah no I understand what you are saying, I wouldnt plan on skipping out or anything like that! just occasionally I have personal things on at 5:30.. I'm really struggling to try and get out of these or make them later, and I can't miss them.. I'm just trying to work out my options

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
how far are the personal things from monash? How many days a week are the personal things?

teslarma

The main one is a Tuesday at 5:30.. it's probably an hour from Monash i'd say.

I also teach gymnastics on other nights, but they are flexible to my timetable I can adapt those.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
If you need to you can leave half an hour early, they are 2 hour tutes, and if the tutor is nice the tutor is nice. Sneaking into the 1 oclock tute instead of the 3 oclock one is always an option as well if you get the dodgy group is always an option but it's really hard to manage for the admin staff so i'd have a chat to them first.

teslarma

oh really? Thats awesome..
thanks so much for your help!! you have provided excellent customer service!! haha.. im at work at the moment in a customer solutions call centre, im slightly entrenched customer service at the moment.. lol..
Now I just have to pray that I get in!! 5 days left....tes

teslarma

inbound!! for credit cards.. so people having problems, card activations, statement issues.. all that, not that interesting, but not too bad either