Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Saving money on stethoscopes

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Story time!

So after 17 years of using my previous stethoscope (an old Spirit Cardiology CK-747CP bought for $120) the tubing has finally snapped in half and I was looking to replace it.

I've replaced the diaphragm on the main side once and the O-ring for the diaphragm twice so far (Littmann parts are largely interchangeable with this model). Total cost each time was approximately $20 AUD, which seems pretty insane for essentially two pieces of round plastic. However, given how long they lasted each time, it didn't seem that bad. I've also replaced the earbuds twice.

Initially, I thought I would replace the tubing, but the model is so old that there wasn't any replacement available.

I am by no means a rough user of stethoscopes - for comparison, my wife - also a doctor - has replaced her entire stethoscope twice in this timeframe.

Knowing what I know now if I had the benefit of hindsight, I would have noted:

- I have used the bell side of the stethoscope exactly zero times in eight years of clinical practice (the only time I have used it is during medical school OSCEs)

- Although I have never lost my stethoscope, I know many others who have, and it seems like a common enough occurrence that it makes spending $300+ on a new one - although tax deductible if you are working - a fairly expensive loss

- I have borrowed and lent out my stethoscope a lot and without knowing the name of the person I borrowed or lent it to because of the acuity of the situation

- The diaphragm and a lot of the new tubings tend to wear out after a few years

- It's very easy for gunk to get into the earpieces and also the tubing of the stethoscope

- It's also very easy for gunk to get into the other end of the stethoscope if it's a reversible one with a bell on it

- Littmann is really really expensive for what is really mostly the same as other brands. Given its ubiquity, it's good if you have a stethoscope which is similar enough that it uses Littmann's spare parts so that if it wears out, you can buy the spare part instead of buying a whole new stethoscope. However, to my (non-cardiologist/pulmonologist) ears the other brands are at least as good for a fraction of the price.

So after some research I turned to Aliexpress to look for replacement parts (which were similarly expensive). However, it turns out that buying a ("cardiology-style") stethoscope brand new sets you back around $22 AUD shipped (the standard ones that look like the Littmann Classic are even cheaper). However, the quality of this ~$22 stethoscope absolutely blows my mind given this is how much I paid for a replacement diaphragm.

Acoustically it's very loud. It feels light and the tubing is nice and comfortable. I have no idea how long it will last but at this price it kind of doesn't matter.

For those who are struggling to put themselves through medical school/cost of living, I think this is definitely an option to consider. I would strongly recommend looking at this if you are not in a hurry to buy one. You can always buy the expensive one later when you are working and claim it as a tax deduction, and if you lose this during your medical school journey - no biggie, just buy another one for the same price as a decent lunch.

Photos are incoming!

Happy to hear that your stethoscope from AliExpress is decent for the price.
The loupes I'm using and have used all of dent school are from there and they're still going alright. I'm saving up for some proper loupes now but AliExpress really has some bang for your buck equipment that are a good shout for students or as back up sets for professionals tbh. And it lets you figure out what you're looking for in a stethoscope, loupes or whichever before forking out a large investment on some big brands.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back