Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Second Round Offers

Vidyaa

I honestly don't think the school will change anything. They're super strict about it.
I feel so helpless. I don't know how I should approach the school about it.

Another thing I learned today though... IB results are released on the 4th as opposed to 5th. JCU conducts interviews on the 5th. Do you think it's worth a shot if I just take a flight to Townsville on the 5th and talk with them face-to-face and see if they're willing to give me an interview. I understand that this method is a bit dodgy because there's absolutely no guarantee they'll listen, but I was going through the forum and read about some people receiving their invitations like 2 days before interviews day. D E S P E R A T E here

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
I honestly don't think the school will change anything. They're super strict about it.
I feel so helpless. I don't know how I should approach the school about it.

Another thing I learned today though... IB results are released on the 4th as opposed to 5th. JCU conducts interviews on the 5th. Do you think it's worth a shot if I just take a flight to Townsville on the 5th and talk with them face-to-face and see if they're willing to give me an interview. I understand that this method is a bit dodgy because there's absolutely no guarantee they'll listen, but I was going through the forum and read about some people receiving their invitations like 2 days before interviews day. D E S P E R A T E here
Based on the email that they have sent you (don't know that I would have published that verbatim btw...) they only consider actual results up to the 29th of December. After that they issue invitations and shut up shop.

The email is relatively positive about the possibility of you getting an offer based on the ATAR prediction that they have received..... *provided* you have a strong written application.

I suspect that all you would achieve by randomly arriving in Townsville uninvited and hoping for an interview.... might be a suntan.

A1

Rookie Doc
I think the school academic office will probably not share your view about a more generous estimate doing no harm... they are typically very careful in trying to reach an accurate, professional estimate.

I can understand schools in general don't want to give an over-estimate, because if actual comes out quite lower the student/parents will likely question them. But this is different circumstances, for the mentioned reason and at specific request by the student. JCU only uses it for interview invite, place offer will be based on actual so in the end it doesn't give Vidyaa an unfair advantage.

In case anyone says it's unfair to other students what about JCU being unfair to Vidyaa in the first place, in closing its interview invite book before Vidyaa's actual is released?

Vidyaa

But this is different circumstances, for the mentioned reason and at specific request by the student. JCU only uses it for interview invite, place offer will be based on actual so it doesn't give Vidyaa an unfair advantage.

But my fear is that the school does not agree that I will be able to achieve that higher score as per the prediction. Also, they might say that it is an unprofessional practice. I will talk to the guidance counsellor though - I still think I'll come off as dodgy.

In case anyone says it's unfair to other students what about JCU being unfair to Vidyaa in the first place, in closing its interview invite book before Vidyaa's actual is released?

This is what I have been thinking all along and this is exactly why I thought rocking up on the 5th of January at Townsville might be worth it. JCU is not being fair to IB students by not considering their actual scores; IB students are disadvantaged over kids from other syllabuses who get their results earlier. Which brings me to my second question, is it worth asking them/complaining about it to their faculty?

The email is relatively positive about the possibility of you getting an offer based on the ATAR prediction that they have received..... *provided* you have a strong written application.

I suspect that all you would achieve by randomly arriving in Townsville uninvited and hoping for an interview.... might be a suntan.

I told them in my previous email that I had a predicted of about 96, which is no longer true (unless they round up 95.85 to 96 lmao chances of that ). So that's why I'm freaking out about interview. I'm non rural and haven't heard of anyone getting an interview with my predicted.

I thought rocking up might work because JCU might realise that they are being unfair to IB kids. If I turn up in person, it's also not a matter of "oh the interview dates are over, too late to come from Brisbane now" because I will physically be in the place. Of course they have to organise interviewers for me if I actually get the opportunity but given that I have a decent application and good score, would they really turn me down still? I understand that the written application is huge component but I seriously feel that my academic score is the real problem here (I spent a lot of time on the application).

The sun is just as bad in Brisbane, it's hella hot here in January. D:

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
But my fear is that the school does not agree that I will be able to achieve that higher score as per the prediction. Also, they might say that it is an unprofessional practice. I will talk to the guidance counsellor though - I still think I'll come off as dodgy.

So you need to use your persuasive power to reason it out to convince the school - this is not to gain an advantage, only to counteract JCU's being unfair to you.

Btw predicted usually comes by a range and if the school gives you a single number it's probably the mid-point. It's not unprofessional for them to give you the upper end of the range instead.

biom

It is a little bit of a struggle to see IB students as a disadvantaged group! They are often a strong subset of a cohort at an elite school which has been fortunate enough to have a very big advantage over many. I am sure that there are also many exceptions.

Best wishes for your discussion with your school and regardless of how that discussion concludes... all the best for your exams.

A1

Rookie Doc
It is a little bit of a struggle to see IB students as a disadvantaged group!

This isn't about IB students being a disadvantaged group. It's about JCU giving non-IB students two chances (one with predicted & one with actual if it happens to exceed predicted) but denying IB students the second chance.

Vidyaa

This is not about IB students being a disadvantaged group. It's about JCU giving non-IB students two chances (one with predicted & one with actual if it happens to exceed predicted) but denying IB students the second chance.

There's no point in conveying this to JCU is there? They'll probably brush it off.

A1

Rookie Doc
There's no point in conveying this to JCU is there? They'll probably brush it off.

I think JCU knows but their hands are tied - the actual-ATAR round is like a sub-part of the first interview round i.e. it has to be completed in time for the first round of offers. They are tied to the timeline of invites late Dec, interviews early Jan, offers mid Jan. With IB results coming out early Jan there isn't time for them to review your application again then organise invites + interview slots for you.

Your school is in an easier position to help, you should explain the circumstances thoroughly to get their understanding.

Vidyaa

Hey guys,

So I have some shit news to share.
My school told me they re-evaluated my grades and have updated my prediction. They wouldn't tell me what they updated it to though.
I was happy right because I thought they updated and most likely increased the damn thing.

So this week, after I finished exams and on my way to chill at the Gold Coast, I emailed JCU to clarify and confirm if they received the new prediction and to ask if they will be using it for second round. They said that they didn't receive a second prediction. I emailed the guidance counsellor to see if it was a technical error or something. Then she tells me that she didn't sent in an updated form because none of the teachers thought I can increase my marks. Now, I honestly think that she's not being honest again, because when I talked to a particular teacher, she was confident that I can get a better mark and I am sure that she must have predicted higher. So my guess is the admin probably didn't want to change the prediction for reasons I cannot comprehend and then lied to me that they sent in a new form.

The most hilarious part is that the guidance counsellor is pissed off that JCU told me that they didn't receive another prediction form. Apparently she's going to sue them for telling me the truth.

So I don't have much chances at JCU this year. Great stuff.

Last edited:

biom

Hey guys,

My school told me they re-evaluated my grades and have updated my prediction. They wouldn't tell me what they updated it to though.
I was happy right because I thought they updated and most likely increased the damn thing.

So this week, after I finished exams and on my way to chill at the Gold Coast, I emailed them to clarify and confirm if they received the new prediction and to ask if they will be using it for second round. They said that they didn't receive a second prediction. I emailed the guidance counsellor to see if it was a technical error or something. Then she tells me that she didn't sent in an updated form because none of the teachers thought I can increase my marks. Now, I honestly think that she's not being honest again, because when I talked to a particular teacher, she was confident that I can get a better mark and I am sure that she must have predicted higher. So my guess is the admin probably didn't want to change the prediction for reasons I cannot comprehend and then lied to me that they sent in a new form.

The most hilarious part is that the guidance counsellor is pissed off that JCU told me that they didn't receive another prediction form. Apparently she's going to sue them for telling me the truth.

Ok - deep breath!

It sounds as though there is some confusion regarding your predicted marks. This might be in what the school has done or your understanding of the situation.

A few suggestions...
1. you might like to contact JCU and confirm they have a prediction for you and say that there has been some sort of mix-up and ask if it is still possible to submit a revised prediction and if so by when?

2. If they will still accept a prediction but don't have anything for you at all then go back to the school and explain that the prediction they sent has been mislaid. Ask that they resend by whatever date JCU tells you is the last possible date.

3. A separate point is to discuss again whether the current prediction is accurate. Explain you felt you did well (if true) in the exams and that you have had positive feedback from one or more teachers. Note that the predictions are to the nearest integer.

4. If agreed the prediction can be increased (for either 2 or 3 above) then have it sent by whatever date JCU gave you.

Whether the school has made an error, JCU has made an error or you have made an error, I suggest that low key and humble is the way to approach the conversation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ps - I am sure that you can work out the steps above. Sometimes it helps to see them in black and white.

Hey guys,

So this week, after I finished exams and on my way to chill at the Gold Coast, I emailed JCU to clarify and confirm if they received the new prediction and to ask if they will be using it for second round. They said that they didn't receive a second prediction. I emailed the guidance counsellor to see if it was a technical error or something. Then she tells me that she didn't sent in an updated form because none of the teachers thought I can increase my marks. Now, I honestly think that she's not being honest again, because when I talked to a particular teacher, she was confident that I can get a better mark and I am sure that she must have predicted higher. So my guess is the admin probably didn't want to change the prediction for reasons I cannot comprehend and then lied to me that they sent in a new form.

Hi Vidya
I am in the same boat this year, and would like your advice if possible. How did this all end?
My application was very strong- didn't get a call in the first round. My IB results from QASMT out on 4 jan - same day as second round interviews held.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks so much!