Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

So who's started studying for UMAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by kevin@Apr 10 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm still thinking embarrassed since she mustered up the courage for 4 weeks, and has finally told the dr her main concern and he just shuts her down. Sure she would feel helpless later on, but DIRECTLY after the consultation she would feel embarrassed as she was already nervous to begin with. The doctors response was pretty much saying that kids nowadays take drugs and 'dismissed' her concerns by portraying it as a reality most people should know. Also, after being signalled out of the room, she would feel as if it was such a stupid question to ask, and combined with her being nervous originally to ask the question, I believe she'd be embarrassed.

So I'm thinking that helplessness would be to the secondary degree
[snapback]38275[/snapback]​

I completely agree with Kevin.

The "she generates the courage" really stood out and my gut went with embarrased but I couldn't have explained it as well as Kevin has. Nice one! :)

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I don't understand how people can speed up their reading. There mightn't be much hope for me though, I read a lot and I'm still fairly slow. I think with section 1 the best way is to read through once carefully and not multiple times quickly.

Veon

Hmm, I went with 'apathetic' because dismissive doesn't cover the fact that he didn't give a damn.
You can understand a problem but want to wash your hands of it.
Whereas with apathetic, it 'includes' the fact that he was uncaring, disinterested, as well as dismissing her quickly.

No.2 I'd go 'helpless', as she has summoned up her courage (perhaps the repeated trips to the doctor are because she has wanted to express her concern but has been let down by her embarassment and/or the implications/repercussions [will they take him away from her? Will he go to jail?])
Embarassed, yes, also, because she has misgivings about disclosing this information to others, but this doesn't 'cover' the feelings she has about her problem not being dealt with after working up all her courage after repeated attempts to express it.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I'm pretty sure it's dismissive. The person comes in every second week with some trivial problem, the doctor is dismissing this as such. It'd be a stretch to say the doctor is apathetic about drugs, on the contrary he talks about how it's a problem.

The next one is probably embarrassed. The courage thing points well and if you have to build up courage to do something important to you only to have the doctor dismiss it as trivial. Embarrassment first helplessness second.

Veon

Hmm, the patient's history of coming in with 'minor health problems' indicates he has grown weary of her and while he does mention the ice problem, key point is that he just mumbles it as he signals for her to leave. ie; he doesn't care.
Dismissive, i can be fully aware of your problem and acknowledge it openly and talk to you about it, but then i want to shove you out because i'm running short on time.
Apathetic; disinterested, wants to shovel you out because he doesn't care (any more).
I dunno, both answers seem fine to me, stupid umat.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Originally posted by animadverted@Apr 23 2007, 12:03 AM
I don't understand how people can speed up their reading. There mightn't be much hope for me though, I read a lot and I'm still fairly slow. I think with section 1 the best way is to read through once carefully and not multiple times quickly.
[snapback]39935[/snapback]​

I think all it takes is effective (and lots of) practice. I guess it may be easier for some or something like that.

I read through questions multiple times in the umat - not entire questions of course - but little sections with key information relevant to the question... and i still finished 15min early... and i still made 100th percentile...

you are right if you are saying that *effective* reading is key. yeah... it is. but of course, *fast* AND *effective* reading is better.

I think section 2 is that bad... bad enough that discussion threads on mso regarding one question really really promote discussion. Also there was a significant portion of reading in section 2 questions too, but you only really need to be able to get a basic idea of the situation before you start deducing what the answer is... i kind of used gut feeling + putting myself in their position. and i failed miserably. :(

hachoo

Lateral Chestybond
Wowies, i should start reading some books. Wait, I should sign up first :p hhehehehehe.

The only study utilities i have are the old UMAT Prac Books which i have already gone through :(

Dave L

I would have said the doctor is “aloof” because while acknowledging a problem, the doctor appears reluctant and unwilling to get involved with her son’s drug situation. As a consequence, I think she would feel “helpless.”

Axxaer

Originally posted by Mana@Apr 22 2007, 01:55 PM
I think section 2 is that bad... bad enough that discussion threads on mso regarding one question really really promote discussion. Also there was a significant portion of reading in section 2 questions too, but you only really need to be able to get a basic idea of the situation before you start deducing what the answer is... i kind of used gut feeling + putting myself in their position. and i failed miserably. :(
[snapback]39958[/snapback]​

oh snap. i think section 2 is pretty ridiculous. it's less about your actual empathy and emotional intelligence and more about accurate reading and knowing the fine differences between faux-synonyms. most people i know did worst in this section (although logically that cant be a pattern for everyone what with percentiles...). just look really closely at the examples in the umat practice qu's and try and discern what angle the questions are coming from and how they want you to answer them. there is a bit of a knack to it ive been told but i never got it.

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
just practice.

maybe get some paperback novels, find random passages, and ask yourself questions about the characters in them.

also, day to day, every now and then, check with yourself- how am i feeling? y am i feeling this way?

kloudsurfer

Originally posted by Axxaer@Apr 24 2007, 12:23 AM
oh snap. i think section 2 is pretty ridiculous.
[snapback]40149[/snapback]​

Really? I think its easy. Personally section 3 kills me no matter how much i practice!

Each to his own.

Ice.Coffee

jsut wanted to clarify. with section 3 we no longer need to do the stupid search for shapes stuff right?

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
by search for shapes do u mean those bizarre lines where u'd have to find like weird tetris style shapes rotated at different angles, etc? they went out in 2005.
IC, i don't think u would ever have to have done those shapes.
however, the "shapes" as in puzzles that were in the umat in 2006 should b in there this yr as well unless we hear otherwise from acer.

Status
Not open for further replies.