Starting medicine, worried I should be pursuing marine studies instead?

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by rainbows, Jan 30, 2015.

1. rainbows

rainbows New Member

I am just about to start 1st year medicine and I am feeling a bit unsure about it. I was once very keen on being a doctor, but now I'm worried that I'm just doing to please my family and the rest of society. I have a great love of the ocean, having grown up by the sea and now I'm starting to wonder if I should have been studying marine biology. I love being outdoors and out on the water and I know this won't always be the case if you are a marine biologist, but it seems more likely than if you are a doctor. I am aware that the job prospects and salary won't be as great, but I think I would be willing to sacrifice that for a career I am truly passionate about. I suppose if I really dislike medicine I can always change and if I end up loving it I'll just have to find time to get out on the water.

Is it enough to have the occasional holiday/day off spent by the sea?
    Am I going to be cut out for medicine with this attitude?
    Any ocean lovers out there who wish they chose a career in marine science?
    Help me please!
    (ps. Sorry about the terrible structure of this post :p )

2. ja7

ja7 New Member

Hey :) this is probably a dumb thing to say but could you be a doctor on a ship? Is that a job?

3. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

This statement:

And this one:

Kind of sums it up, no? Nothing wrong with not being sure at your age, and snaps for exploring your options.

4. Season

Season Emeritus MSO Staff Emeritus

Do you have the option to do a double degree? Or maybe defer for a year while you pursue marine science? I thoroughly enjoyed my year of research and subjects that aren't medicine, for me it really affirmed I wanted to do medicine. You can always come back.

The answer is no. Sorry. Its not worth doing medicine unless you really want to be there. Even people who really want to be there struggle when we are working long days.

If I were you I would defer.

5. Igloo1994

Igloo1994 Regular Member

I don't think you should look at a medical degree as 'do medical degree--become doctor'. I sometimes think 'why the hell am I doing this degree': I look at the interns or registrars etc and stress out, but then I realise, Medicine has so many pathways. Want to do research? Awesome. Want to go into academia? why not. Why not combine the two? I mean heaps of pharmaceutical solutions are being found in nature/ocean. If you want, you could do what a heap of people do: go the marine bio/science pathway, try it out, and if not, sit GAMSAT and do grad entry med. It's a harder pathway, but it has been done before