Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Stethoscopes

isuru

Staff
Administrator
Do you have a stethoscope and if so what brand/model is it?

I've currently got a Spirit Cardiology stethoscope and it seems pretty good. I've heard Littmanen is the best brand tho?

so have you noticed any differneces in quality between "brand" name stethoscopes and others?

Lexicographer

I have three stethoscopes. One is a grey Littmann Classic (20 years old), the next is a black Littmann Classic II (10 years old). The third is a blue cheap and nasty, one of the hospital issue things.

I currently bring both Littmanns to classes, since I have not had enough experience with either to decide which I like better. The rubbish one is being lent to a Human Movement student, who is just very amused by it.

I am planning to get a very good (probably Cardiology III or Master) in my late clinical years, though it is difficult to resist the temptation to buy now for several reasons. Though my stethoscopes are in perfect order and very reliable, they are both very short and they do not have the newer features (such as soft-tipped, snap-on earpieces and variable diaphragm). I know you're going to say I won't need a great steth in 5th year, but look at the difference between student and general pricing and you will understand.

+po1ntdext3r+

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
haha whoa u guys are 1337
i got a spirit deluxe series (original) [CK-601P] in dark blue..

it does its job.. i have no intention to get a cardiology one unless i do cardio

Lacerum

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
The steth evaluation seems to have a perpetual place in every medical discussion.

+po1ntdext3r+

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
its the phallus of medicine.. everyone sees it.. and most ppl thinks it the size but realli its how u use it..
also.. asian ones are kinda small so they say.. :p

isuru

Staff
Administrator
Originally posted by +po1ntdext3r+@Aug 21 2005, 04:23 AM
its the phallus of medicine.. everyone sees it.. and most ppl thinks it the size but realli its how u use it..
also.. asian ones are kinda small so they say.. :p
[snapback]225[/snapback]​

heh

actually I'm interested to know if it's better to start off with a really good one so that you only get used to a good one or use a poor quality one initially to get used to hearing sounds, in case you ever get to a situation where you have no choice but to use a poor quality one.

isuru

Staff
Administrator
Originally posted by Lexicographer@Aug 20 2005, 06:25 PM
I know you're going to say I won't need a great steth in 5th year, but look at the difference between student and general pricing and you will understand.
[snapback]211[/snapback]​

How much cheaper is it for students? and can't medical professionals claim the purchase of the stethoscope back on tax anyway?

CJ19

Anyone heard of a "microtone" stethoscope? Coz I just realised thats what I have.... And yes, the general opinion is that Litmans Steths are really good. They should prolly give us some classes on how to properly use it eyy...Most ppl can be seen clutching their ears in pain after removing it. And placing your fingers on the diaphragm when examining doesnt seem to help much...

Lexicographer

That's because most of the gronks in our grade are still wearing their scopes backwards. :p

They are going to teach us how to do it properly though, in this Friday's cliniskills session (CV examinations). I'm thinking of getting a cheap sphygmomanometer to practice hearing the Kortokoff sounds, but I can't help thinking that once I've had it for a week it'll be next to useless.

+po1ntdext3r+

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
i hav a sphygmomanometer in syd... (med-penis +5 pts) japanese imported mercury one..
come over and ill show u :) *how big it is :D*

omg.. i never realise tat i accidently pocket sooo much hospital gear.. band aids... syringes.. etc.. (med-penis +/- 10)

Lexicographer

Originally posted by +po1ntdext3r+@Aug 21 2005, 04:30 PM
i hav a sphygmomanometer in syd... (med-penis +5 pts) japanese imported mercury one..
come over and ill show u :) *how big it is :D*

omg.. i never realise tat i accidently pocket sooo much hospital gear.. band aids... syringes.. etc.. (med-penis +/- 10)
[snapback]239[/snapback]​
Everyone does it... come of us [cough] on purpose.

pennylane

yeah everyone steals stuff from health department. I have pens, highlighters, i even stole a bedpan for fun once! (my shame..i actually use it at night when im too lazy to go to the toilet)

I have a cute little Zoloft steth! hehehe The drug rep ones are actually quite good I think. I do psyc though not medicine but we use it for measuring blood pressure etc...

Okay and this is VERY important. I need to know where I can get a PINK Stethoscope.....

Please..it would make my year

kimmeh

I bought a standard stethoscope, in an event a dog might step on it, i wouldnt cry over it. Anywhoo, its a "Prestige Medical - Clinical I - Model 126"

+po1ntdext3r+

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by pennylane@Aug 23 2005, 07:50 PM
Okay and this is VERY important.  I need to know where I can get a PINK Stethoscope.....

Please..it would make my year
[snapback]296[/snapback]​
SPIRIT makes them in pink :) my mate got one..

hehe about $50

kimmeh

The brand i have (i think) makes them in pink, they look different to the "standard" stethopscope and dont look like they work well.

Lexicographer

Littmann make pink also, as does Welch Allyn (to the best of my knowledge).

In fact, getting a different colour of tubing is very easy these days. My next stethoscope will be deep purple I think.

pennylane

I finally have something to really motivate me to study for gamsat this summer...the allure of a pink stethoscope!

devraga

Personal Finance Enthusiast
Administrator
Any stethoscope, including the nurses ones are enough for medical students. Its not as if we can pick out all the murmurs anyway. LOL.

Although consultants do laugh at you when you have a "nurse" stethoscope. cardio II, III is good enough to be a consultant cardiologist. Anything more, dare I say: "waste of money".