Studying and Practicing Dentistry: General Discussion

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
Hi all, I'm posting this mostly out of curiosity. How is your dental school currently operating under Covid conditions? Are labs/clinics still running? Are you at all concerned about the teaching so far? I would love to hear from other students, particularly those in lockdown.
here in adelaide where covid is pretty much non-existent, it's basically masks on for all f2f classes/tutorials even after clinic/sim clinics are done. classes resume as usual with the occasional zoom meetings. when covid starts popping off, practicals get cancelled (which can end up getting extending our semesters by 1 or more weeks).

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
Hi all, I'm posting this mostly out of curiosity. How is your dental school currently operating under Covid conditions? Are labs/clinics still running? Are you at all concerned about the teaching so far? I would love to hear from other students, particularly those in lockdown.

I go to Otago (New Zealand) and it's currently level 3 here at the moment. We've had lockdown for a few weeks now so clinics were cancelled and we've had to do zoom lectures. We weren't expecting a super long lockdown given that we're in the South Island and all current NZ covid cases remain in the North Island so we haven't had to compensate clinics in the form of online videos like last year. If all cases remain up north, we will probably move down to level 2 and should be able to continue our clinics and labs next week as per usual just with increased emphasis on PPE and covid-19 screening tests (being optimistic here though ngl).

At the moment, I'm only slightly concerned about the teaching since we've only missed out on a couple of week's worth of patient clinics which isn't too much given that we've been running pretty smoothly all year. However, the missed weeks still interrupted our clinics and will mean that some of the people in my class (myself included), will not be able to clear their patient list for treatment and would have missed out on some good clinical training. Luckily, I'm only in 3rd year so the dent school is pretty understanding of the current situation if we don't get to finish all our requirements and have some sort of compensative simulation tasks in place later in the year or even next year. The same cannot be said for the 5th years (final years) who definitely need to finish their requirements regardless of lockdowns as these are needed to graduate as a dentist.