Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Studying Medicine Overseas

jambobs

Hello, is it worth applying to uk med schools (i just found out they accept ucatanz!)? I don't know if my ucat will be good enough for australia but I've heard uk has significantly lower cutoffs? I also don't know whether this is financially viable. anyone have any info?

S

Sokka

Hello, is it worth applying to uk med schools (i just found out they accept ucatanz!)? I don't know if my ucat will be good enough for australia but I've heard uk has significantly lower cutoffs? I also don't know whether this is financially viable. anyone have any info?
I’ve also heard their cut offs are a bit lower, however u still have to keep in mind the costs. I’ve been told fees are at least 300k for international students, so you need to ask yourself if this is what u want. I’ve also been told that there isn’t financial aid in the UK, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

N

nb

UK medical schools will be much more expensive than Australian CSP places. Especially the accomodation which will definitely be a pain in the bum (added onto your already hefty medical school loans if you go to school in the UK). Secondly, I'm not sure about this but I've heard that international graduates have a very low chance of securing a internship (and a job as a physician) in Australia. You're right though, the UCAT cut-offs are significantly lower in the UK, where a 700 average (2800) is considered a competitive score. If you're willing to stay in the UK for the rest of your life and work there, then go for it. If you have plans to work in Australia, I wouldn't take the risk! Up to you in the end though :)

S

Sokka

UK medical schools will be much more expensive than Australian CSP places. Especially the accomodation which will definitely be a pain in the bum (added onto your already hefty medical school loans if you go to school in the UK). Secondly, I'm not sure about this but I've heard that international graduates have a very low chance of securing a internship (and a job as a physician) in Australia. You're right though, the UCAT cut-offs are significantly lower in the UK, where a 700 average (2800) is considered a competitive score.
I’ve heard the same thing from my careers advisor (that it’s difficult to secure an Aussie internship if u study in the UK)

jambobs

I’ve also heard their cut offs are a bit lower, however u still have to keep in mind the costs. I’ve been told fees are at least 300k for international students, so you need to ask yourself if this is what u want. I’ve also been told that there isn’t financial aid in the UK, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
oh WOW 300k RIP. bye uk 😾

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
"Difficult" would be a bit of an understatement, I think I'll go with "damn near impossible". If you want to return to Australia to practice, please think very, very carefully before you go overseas to study medicine, no matter how enticing the offer may appear.

Last edited by a moderator:

After percentiles were released yesterday, I have been quite concerned as to my chances for 2021 medical entry. I'm an Australian student (on a gap year) based in NSW and was wondering whether anyone knows anything about applying to the UK as a backup plan. I've heard it's quite expensive to study there, but is there any chance of academic scholarships? What is the cheapest tuition fee? I'm not rich but I'm willing to work for it if that's even feasible.

Also, I have heard that moving back to practice in Australia is difficult due to international graduate status, but honestly, I'm fine with moving to the UK outright if it means being able to live my dream.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If it's useful, my scores are: 99.50 ATAR (2019 grad) and 2940 UCAT ~90-91st% (2020)

chinaski

AFAIK, scholarship support for international students in the UK is close to nil - you'd probably need to consult the individual universities to see what (if anything) they have on offer. It is also worth considering whether you would be eligible to work and move to the UK. Without citizenship, this may pose another considerable obstacle.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Realistically it would be probably be cheaper to study medicine at Bond (which doesnt need UCAT) then it would be the UK considering you will be eligble for FEE-HELP to offset 150k as an Australian Citizen, and you will be able to practice in Australia from early on in your career. Not to mention the uncertainties of COVID and as the post grad med training worsens throws another spanner in the works.

Youre still in the ball park for a few Australian Undergraduate Universities (e.g. JCU/Bond) based on ATAR alone, and your UCAT is borderline enough that you should receive an interviews or two. Realistically, my back up plan would be completing an undergraduate degree and aiming for grad entry med before moving off to the UK

Hey guys just wondering is it possible to apply for universities like in New Zealand or UK, despite living in Australia ( NSW)

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
Hey guys just wondering is it possible to apply for universities like in New Zealand or UK, despite living in Australia ( NSW)
Yes and Yes

although let’s say you are applying for medicine entrance in the UK you will find it extremely difficult to secure any sort of position post medical school back in Australia due to the competitiveness of the IMG pathway (much more competitive than entrance to an aus medical school)

it should be noted I’m no expert on this but I believe NZ is different and you can apply as a domestic intern for your intern year to all states of aus again this is competitive but much less competitive than the IMG pathway.

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
I though can’t you study overseas and then come back to Australia and working in a hospital/medical centre
You can but this pathway is extremely difficult if this is your plan I highly suggest not studying overseas and just applying multiple times in australia. It’s not just difficult but nearly impossible.

again I’m pretty sure NZ is considered domestic for internship applications but I suggest you do your own research with that one

Roughly how expensive would it be to study undergraduate medicine overseas in the UK (including fees and accommodation). I've seen a few students who graduated my high school in Australia move to the UK to study.