Subject Advice: BIOM2402 or MICR2000

Hey guys, I'm going into 2nd sem of 2nd year and was looking to drop a subject. I currently have down BIOM2202, BIOM2012, BIOM2402 and MICR2000. I'd like to drop one of the latter 2 courses because it looks a little content heavy (re:stressful) and I'd like to do something fun/easy instead.

Which of the two (BIOM2402 & MICR2000) would you say is more interesting? Which is more content heavy? Which is more enjoyable? Which has the better pracs? Which is easier to get a good grade in?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
- parmy

PS: any recs for fun/easy courses? thinking of doing a beginner's language course rn

+quick additional Q: which course is more relevant/helpful for med?

lots of hugs and thanks,
parmy

Crow

Medical Student
Emeritus Staff
Isiyara should be able to help if she comes online soon 😬 Other than that, we don’t have any other active users at UQ that I’m aware of, so you may need to seek opinions another way if you have other options.

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Hey guys, I'm going into 2nd sem of 2nd year and was looking to drop a subject. I currently have down BIOM2202, BIOM2012, BIOM2402 and MICR2000. I'd like to drop one of the latter 2 courses because it looks a little content heavy (re:stressful) and I'd like to do something fun/easy instead.

Which of the two (BIOM2402 & MICR2000) would you say is more interesting? Which is more content heavy? Which is more enjoyable? Which has the better pracs? Which is easier to get a good grade in?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
- parmy

PS: any recs for fun/easy courses? thinking of doing a beginner's language course rn

+quick additional Q: which course is more relevant/helpful for med?

lots of hugs and thanks,
parmy

Hi Parmy,

So sorry for the late reply!
I did both of these subjects and have summarised my thoughts below.

MICR2000 - Microbiology & Immunology
+ A lot more interesting than I thought it was (especially the bacterial & viral sections)
+ Organised lecture content & Blackboard + Jack Wang is a great lecturer
+ Personally, I think it's easier than BIOM2402 to get a good mark primarily since the lab report, podcast and practical competency tests are not very difficult to do very well in.
+ Is the prereq for the 3rd year Immunology course (1st sem) & the 3rd yr Microbes & Human Health (2nd sem)

- It's important to have a good look & understand the prac booklet before you go each week in as it's pretty poorly written and difficult to follow
- End-of-semester exam is more focussed on SAQs (this might be an advantage though)

BIOM2402 - Pharmacology
+ Very interesting
+ Useful for med (pretty much the whole course) and learning drug MOAs helps with physiology too
+ Lab reports are pretty straight forward and won't take long (compared to BIOM2011/BIOM2012 reports)
+ Is a prereq for 3rd year Systems Pharmacology (BIOM3401) which has an open-book end-of-semester exam

- Content heavy (relative to MICR2000 and other 2nd year subjects)
- Lots of drug fact memorisation (drug, action, side effects, MOA, contraindications, etc.)
- Hard end-of-semester exam
- 20% oral group presentation (not too difficult but may be a negative point if you don't like oral presentations or group work)

I would probably say BIOM2402 is more useful for med but I wouldn't stress too much about that. The main thing is taking BIOM2012 - Systems Phsyiology and some 2nd and 3rd year anatomy at some point. Other than that, take subjects that you need for your degree and that you are interested in as it will be a lot easier to study and do well in a course you like.

If you're looking for an easier course to do well in or a course that has a lower workload, I would go with MICR2000.

- Isiyara

Last edited:

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Oh and here's some fun/easy courses other than language courses

Sem 1
PSYC1020: Introduction to Psychology: Minds, Brains and Behaviour
PSYC1030: Introduction to Psychology: Developmental, Social & Clinical Psychology
NUTR1023: Health & Fitness Through Diet & Exercise (I did this one. It's pretty great as it has no lectures and is mostly delivered through videos)
ECON1010: Introductory Microeconomics
HLTH2000: Understanding Digital Health (external)
WRIT1200: Writing Creatively

Sem 2
PSYC1020: Introduction to Psychology: Minds, Brains and Behaviour
PSYC1030: Introduction to Psychology: Developmental, Social & Clinical Psychology
ECON1010: Introductory Microeconomics
HLTH2000: Understanding Digital Health (external)
BIOL1100: Evolutionary Perspectives on Modern Society (no final exam)

Summer
NUTR1023: Health & Fitness Through Diet & Exercise (I believe it's external over the summer)

- Isiyara