Tertiary Entry - Rural pathway 2019

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Grant Hughes, May 4, 2018.

1. Grant Hughes

Grant Hughes Member

Hi MSO,

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who has applied to medicine at Adelaide through the rural pathway?

I understand that that tertiary transfer applicants have to have studied at Adelaide university; does this also apply for those applying through the rural entry scheme? I've read the 2019 admissions guide and it doesn't discretely say anything about it.

Thanks!

Grant

2. Logic

Logic Regular Member

I am not exactly sure but what I am guessing is that if you have an academic record from anywhere other than the University of Adelaide, then you are ineligible for applying for undergraduate medicine there, regardless of rural status. To be completely sure, best to contact the university. Let us know if you find out anything.

EDIT: Mana is probably right

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  3. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    I would contact the Admissions officer about this. I can attest that it was at least previously the case that non-Adelaide rural applicants could apply through the rural pathway, but this could have changed in the eight years since that information was current.

4. Grant Hughes

Grant Hughes Member

Yeah I' sent them an email as well. Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what they say

5. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    This is a reply I to sent to someone last year following a conversation with another prospective student during WSU interviews. Copy/pasted.

"Hmm that's interesting because a girl I was talking with at WSU interviews, who was from a rural location in Qld said she applied to UAdel and paid SATAC fees and asked them if she was eligible and despite saying she was, and offering her an interview, UAdel called her just before she got to WSU and said, effectively, "WHOOPS LOL! Sorry you wasted your $$ on a SATAC application, you're not actually eligible because you've started a degree and we retract your interview invite". "

If you end up hearing differently, please do let us know :D

6. Grant Hughes

Grant Hughes Member

Thanks for that LMG! , that's interesting! The 2018 and 2019 guides are extremely similar albeit the inclusion of the rural criteria for the 2019 guide. I'll be sure to post the response when I receive it!

7. Grant Hughes

Grant Hughes Member

Here's the response guys

"Hi Grant,
    Thank you for your email regarding your interest in the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery MBBS degree at the University of Adelaide.
    Unfortunately, applicants who have either completed a degree at the University of Adelaide or started or completed degree level study at another university (ie. have an academic record) are not eligible for entry into the MBBS program at the University of Adelaide.
    The University of Adelaide doesn't currently offer any postgraduate Medicine programs as an alternative.
    Please don't hesitate to contact me with any further questions, or if there are any other degree programs that you are interested in exploring as an alternative.
    Kind regards,
    Chris"

LMG! likes this.