The “I got away with that” thread

Discussion in 'Interviews' started by Smelly Boy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

Just saw this on the pagingdr website & thought it’d be so awesome to start the same thread here.

The point of it is to share moments from your interviews when you’ve said/done something completely absurd or inappropriate. It’d be a great way to ease stress & have a laugh I reckon. It would be so good if people who’ve got a spot in a course could share their experiences to give some of the people on this website hope & also illustrate the point that you aren’t supposed to answer every question perfectly to be succesful.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    GreenGrapes likes this.
  2. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

I’ll start with mine. It isn’t as bad as some I’ve seen on pagingdr but I guess it was pretty funny

At my first station there was role play & I had to sit on a chair. I was a bit anxious so i forgot about shaking hands with the people in the room & I just sat in the role play chair. The interviewer & actor laughed & the interviewer said you forgot to shake my hand! & I replied as if we were in the role play & then we all laughed. Good way to break the ice I guess haha.

On the end of one of the stations at my jmp mmi, the interviewer said “good luck with the rest of your stations” & i replied “thanks, you too”.

At another station I had about 1 minute to answer the final question which really only needed a one sentence answer but I really didn’t get what the interviewer was asking me so I kept asking them to repeat the question for 1 minute & the bell rang for time up. The interviewer and I couldn’t help but share a laugh at the end.

At my final station it was 12:03pm & the interviewer said good morning & I said good evening (I meant to say good afternoon)

Honestly such a fun experience doing the interview :D

acbard9, sarangiya and GreenGrapes like this.
  3. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery...?

Post and Smelly Boy like this.
  4. GreenGrapes

GreenGrapes New Member

sarangiya has a good one for this

Also for one of the MMI’s I accidentally walked off with the situation sheet (lucky it was after the 8th station so there was no issue for the next person!) Another student noticed me carrying it and reminded me to return it to the interviewer!!

sarangiya and Smelly Boy like this.
  5. sarangiya

sarangiya what's this

Student
    Lmao don't expose me GreenGrapes !!

Love the idea of this thread

In my UNSW interview this year:
    We had all finished up and one of the interviewers finally said "we will finish here. You won't be hearing from the University directly about your result, it will come out with your offer." I smiled, and went to reply "okay, lovely."
    Instead, I replied "okay, love you!!"
    #rip

6. GreenGrapes

GreenGrapes New Member

Ooh here's another!!
    At a different MMI, I went in not knowing enough about a particular question that could be asked (I won't reveal it due to nondisclosure)
    4 stations through, I had a rest station and started talking to a 3rd year medical student at the uni - and asked them about this question (purely out of interest) and they gave a really insightful answer. At the next interview station, I was asked this exact question and I basically just parroted the med student's answer!!!!

Smelly Boy and sarangiya like this.
  7. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    I hope their detectors didn't pick this up as a rehearsed answer ;)

Smelly Boy and GreenGrapes like this.
  8. deuce

deuce New Member

Ooo at Monash I accidentally took the interviewer's water bottle in the last station thinking it was mine! Then had to run back after the circuit had ended to return it to the circuit helper

9. MnI

MnI WSU MBBS I

So I just finished first year at WSU and posted one of these on pagingDR last year after I received my offer but after helping with MMIs and chatting to candidates another one has come to mind.

My first station at WSU MMI was an actor based scenario station with a written prompt outside the room so I entered very nervous but focused on the role play about to happen. The interviewer introduced herself and motioned towards the actor at which point I confidently said, "Hi (character name from prompt) I'm MnI." The interviewer gave me a strange look and said, "His name's (actual name) not (character name)" which made me feel pretty silly.... especially since I'd purposely used the name from the prompt because I was in "role play mode".

I agonised over this for weeks after my interview and played the moment over and over in my head and now looking back it seems pretty inconsequential.

GreenGrapes and Smelly Boy like this.
  10. sarangiya

sarangiya what's this

Student
    You're right and it seems a bit rude of the interviewer. I mean, it's not like you called them a random name, it was obvious what you thought was meant to happen. They could have said "haha we won't start role play yet. This is [actual name]..."
    That sucks but I'm definitely sure it wouldn't have meant much! Congrats

GreenGrapes likes this.