Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

The Emeritus Thread

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey gang,

I've made this thread in light of our recent staff members retiring (Stuart, Ruffle and Perplex) just to remember the work they've done to the site (as I've flicked through many old threads and have no idea who our previous staff members were nor what they did!)

This thread can also provide way to remember future emeritus as well! :)

Please post any funny memories/stories about the emeritus staff you might remember or simply leave a message wishing them well.

Let us begin:

Stuart

Stuart first made an appearance in 2015 as a wee little HSFY member looking for advice: he was online 24/7, late throughout the night. In turn, this gained him a "mini-mod" position and he was one of the first non-mods given access to the editing ability. Stuart was skilled in collecting information and tidying up the NZ sections, and he was notorious for keeping his identity top secret. In time, Stuart became a moderator (our only non-med/dent moderator!).

In his time as moderator, Stuart tightened his grasp of power and stopped using emojis. Grammar and spelling remained of the upmost importance to Stuart. It was rare that you'd see him slip up on his grammar (besides regularly getting confused between the words "quite" and "quiet"). A short trend emerged on MSO where users posted messages in Zalgo text, which Stuart came down hard on. There became a period where MSO didn't have an active administrator as our then only active administrator (Ben) was travelling to Africa for 10 days. Stuart used this opportunity to self-promote himself to administrator and begun his reign. He was officially titled: Stuart of the House Otago, the First of His Name, King of the Med and the Dent Students, Lord Protector of the Realm and Regent of the Seven Med/Dent Forums.

Stuart was regularly seen missing in action for periods of up to 4 months (which left the site without an active administrator) but he would always find time to return. When Stuart did return, the site mysteriously went offline for extended periods. At one point, Stuart claimed to have "tided up" some back-end site work and ended up locking out the entire website from accessing the forum! Stuart also created the Stubot (a primitive MSO version of siri/alexa/contara) and briefly created a pokemon catching game on MSO too!

There were several coup d'état attempts for the demolition of the Stuart monarchy which were crushed each and every time. In late 2019, Stuart decided to officially retire the crown. Thank you, Stuart, for your works and contributions to our NZ section. Your words will never be forgotten.

Hobbies included: travelling to the northern hemisphere, waterboarding, colonoscopies and skribbl.io (non-mso edition), java coding, teaching acbard9 how to use R.

MSO Competition Characters (competition where we assign MSOers the characters most likely to suit their characters based on tv shows/movies): Game of Thrones - Varys, Star Wars - Emperor Palpatine, Harry Potter - Peter Pettigrew

Perplex

Perplex first came to the scene in 2016 as a med hopeful and was made a moderator at just 19 posts! Hatbox/chatbox at the time had a minimum of 50 posts so Perplex was able to bypass this requirement. Perplex got into Medicine the following year and contributed several helpful forum posts to the site and to our fellow users. The post-graduate section has never looked better due to the combined efforts of Crow and Perplex. Logic and Perplex entered a race to reach 500 useful posts but I guess that race has now come to an end with Perplex becoming an emeritus at 97 posts. Thank you Perplex for all that you've done for the site - wishing you all the best for the rest of your studies!

Hobbies included: gymming, kbbq.
MSO Competition Characters: Harry Potter - Gilderoy Lockhart

Ruffle

Ruffle is the resident bubble tea expert, knows the best bubble tea orders and bubble tea chains! She is genuinely friendly, helpful and all round a good person, and should be celebrated for having the second-most excellent taste in music of anyone to have ever graced the MSOlands and was voted as MSOer of the Year 2019 for her allround contribution to make this forum a better place. Ruffle gave up the moderator position after having a super busy 2019 with all her extra-curriculars. We hope that you still continue to visit the site more often in the near future! Also our resident UWA representative with A1 :)

Hobbies included: bubble tea and ice skating

-------------------------------

Feel free to post your own little memories/eulogies of any other past emeritus as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
pi

How does one describe pi? Perhaps some quotes can help illuminate the character of our beloved irrational number.

"It is not wisdom but Authority that makes a law."

- Thomas Hobbes

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
- Niccolò Machiavelli

"We have buried the putrid corpse of liberty!"
- Benito Mussolini

Pi joined this website eons ago in the year of our lord 2011. While most of us were toddling around the playground, pi was toddling his way up to the hallowed grounds of Monash University, one of Australia's leading universities, ranking among the world's top 100. With a stethoscope swinging around his neck, and the bright ambition of the naïve first year university student in his eyes, pi commenced his quest to put the "doctor" in front of his name.

In the institution he now loves more than any human on this earth, pi studied (barely), attended classes (occasionally), and scribbled down answers in his exams (but without confidence). The trials were cruel, the hours were long, and so were the nights spent at Revs. Some long years later, pi emerged, blinking and clad in a fetching graduation gown and cap, into the sun. There was more to see than had ever been seen - more to do than he had ever done!

And he was promptly shunted into the nearest hospital, doubtless already late for his first shift.

Pi continued to occasionally contribute to this forum, being granted the green title of moderator (alas, if only he had the green of crisp bank notes). In the absence of other administrators, a mildly questionable decision was made to promote pi. Pi promptly began a series of abuses of power, including but not limited to:

- editing users' (my) hatbox messages to support himself
- relentlessly mocking users (me) in the hatbox
- unceremoniously booting users (Logic) for simple turns of phrases involving crying and rivers.

Alas, the self-described "mod/admin of the people" has chosen to retire, taking with him his impulsivity, false modesty, and absolute ruthless sense of humour.

I jest, we all know pi is gonna be here forever to let us know exactly what he thinks of our life choices and to offer barely relevant advice.

Thank you for your service, pi, despite your chaotic evil leanings, we love and value you!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Sherlock

Well, this one cuts me especially deep. The end of an era.

Sherlock has been a highly active member since the day I joined MSO. Back then, he was renowned for his position as Silliest Member of the site and regularly managed to cause a ruckus on hatbox.

Sherlock has always been an integral part of MSO for me. As we know, he has always been a highly active hatboxer, never afraid to go against the grain, voice his opinions and stand up for what is right. He has also caused many a laugh from myself and I can only presume many others!

I have come to know Sherlock on a personal level quite well over the last couple years in particular and it has been a pleasure getting to know him - I am very happy to have found a friend like him on here.

So, while this is a sad time for me, I wish Sherlock all the very best in his endeavours outside of MSO, though I do hope he still visits us regularly - perhaps I'll prompt him every once in a while if it's been a little too long since he's checked in.

Keep in touch, Sherlock, and thank you for making MSO a better place for all of us over the years. :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads