Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

To everyone who got into Bond this year…

B2

I want to congratulate you for being born with rich parents.
Maybe don't speak without knowing how much some parents + students struggle to afford this degree. There are very middle class families that work EXTRA hard to send their children for this degree. Some of the sacrifices that are made are extraordinary. These families and students have the foresight to understand the value of education and a medical degree and the prospects that it will bring them.

Not sure what the purpose of your post was, not sure if you are an unsuccessful medical applicant, but good luck !

UpTheGunners

Griffith BMedSci II
From a neutral perspective being a student in Year 12 Gold Coast with plenty of friends studying medicine currently at Bond, Griffith and UQ, I 100% agree with B2. Bond students are in no way inferior or boosted by ‘rich parents’ and from what I’ve seen, they’ve actually turned out to be some of the most alruistic, down-to-earth and hard-working people I know and will probably make excellent Doctors. I have also seen from first hand the sacrifices their parents have made for the futures of their children.

Furthermore, in America 90% of medical degrees and arguably the best medical schools are constituted by private institutions and have similar costs to Bond (cough cough Harvard, Stanford). Bond’s course is on par with almost any other course in Australia. You are not insinuating that almost every Doctor in US or Australia who attended private unis were gifted with ‘rich parents’?

chinaski

You are not insinuating that almost every Doctor in US or Australia who attended private unis were gifted with ‘rich parents’?
In the US context, one could easily argue that the largely exclusively "user pays" system indeed discriminates against people of a lower socioeconomic background and conversely benefits the already advantaged, privileged subset of society.

UpTheGunners

Griffith BMedSci II
In the US context, one could easily argue that the largely exclusively "user pays" system indeed discriminates against people of a lower socioeconomic background and conversely benefits the already advantaged, privileged subset of society.
True but my point was against the stigma surrounding medical admissions at Bond. There are even people who stigmatise courses such as Griffith’s or Curtin’s as ‘inferior’ and ‘easy to get into’ which is evidently not true due to the competitiveness of medical entrance in general

chinaski

True but my point was against the stigma surrounding medical admissions at Bond.
Probably best to make that point independent of a US contextual comparator, which invokes an elite entry system that essentially excludes disadvantaged candidates from the get-go.

There are even people who stigmatise courses such as Griffith’s or Curtin’s as ‘inferior’ and ‘easy to get into’ which is evidently not true due to the competitiveness of medical entrance in general
To play Devil's Advocate: just because there is a large demand for entry to a certain course, doesn't necessarily mean the course isn't inferior or lacking. Similarly, some courses are indeed arguably "easier" to get into - but this does not necessarily reflect on the quality of the course on offer.