Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Took four years to finish three year degree, med chances?

torilemon

Got a response from Otago - good news!
Here's what they said:

"Yes – you will still be eligible to apply for medicine and we will score your completed degree.

As we will only score 3 years of study you should put in a letter to us when you apply stating why it has taken you 4 years rather than 3 to complete. This is to help us score your application."

I am really excited about this... I was under the impression that the GPA of all 4 years of my degree would be scored, and my first two years were pretty dismal.
My GPA for first semester this year is 8.0, so given that I keep up what I've been doing and improve my study methods even more for the remainder of this year and for next year, I think I might actually come out of this degree with a competitive weighted GPA!

My motivation to study for exams has just skyrocketed... :p

Val

Hey @torilemon,

I am in the same situation as you. My grades for the first year was not good. So I spoke to the health science office. And they told me I could apply. My GPA wasn't good in second year, so I transfered my papers to a new degree. Which is gonna take me an extra year to complete.

How did you go? Did you have to write a letter or something?

Val

I'm in my fourth year now so I'll be applying this year for 2018. Not sure yet what extra hoops I'm going to have to jump through, haha.

Hey good luck.
I am in my last year as well, so maybe see you in 2018 haha. I am not sure about the letter you have to write to explain why you took longer to complete your degree. How much impact will the letter have in your chances of entry, and what would be a valid reason.?

torilemon

Hey good luck.
I am in my last year as well, so maybe see you in 2018 haha. I am not sure about the letter you have to write to explain why you took longer to complete your degree. How much impact will the letter have in your chances of entry, and what would be a valid reason.?
You too!

I think they basically just want to know that there is a valid reason your degree took longer than normal, not that 'uni was too hard and i needed time off' or 'i failed heaps of stuff' etc. I think the idea is that they wanna make sure you can handle med school.
Not too sure what would class as a valid reason, but mine is because of a double major. I'm hoping it's a good enough reason haha.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :~)

Keeysh

I know im late to the show but I've also/am taken 4 years to complete my degree. From what I've seen if i calculate it right. My gpa for my last 3 years will definitely be over 6.0. And my last 2 years (currently im in my last year) gpa, as long as i maintain my A's will be around 8.0. Im a Major in physiology and minor in Anatomy. Is this how it will be considered? BTW my 1st year grades are really bad and i know they look at it like a "criminal record" like someone pointed out.

Hi guys!

I have a question to this...
"To be considered for admission under the Graduate category, applicants must have completed, normally in the minimum academic time and within three years of the date of application, the requirements of a first degree awarded by a university in New Zealand"

If I have completed my bachelor degree in 2014 (2010-2014; four years) and have completed a postgraduate certificate in 2016, am I too late to apply for 2018 admission?

Thanks

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads