Transfer to UQ B Dent

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by Sharon0016, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Sharon0016

Sharon0016 New Member

Hi all : )

Kind of new to this place as I seldom log on to the site and forgotten my previous account.

I'm currently a yr 12 student and I'm pretty sure that I cannot meet the high atar of dentistry, however, I still want to do it. My teacher recommended me to study for a bachelor degree for a year (which I think will be USYD) and then transfer to UQ for Bachelor of Dental Science (begin from the first year again or so) as this was what her daughter did.
    1. Probably a stupid question but do you still need to do UMAT again if you are trying to transfer? Or just purely looking at your GPA?
    2. If this way work, I would prob choose to study between pharmacy and oral health... but I have heard that getting a high GPA from oral health is really hard that you should choose something easier... Is that true? what about pharmacy? and is there any other recommendation?

Appreciate for all suggestion,
    Thanks, everyone :)

2. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Hey Sharon,

Firstly welcome to the website.

To be eligible for the Bachelor of Dental Science, all applicants must have an entry rank of 99 and meet the English and Chemistry subject prerequisites. To derive the entry rank of 99, a GPA of 6.50 is required from a non-UQ tertiary institution. You will have to sit the UMAT again, a scaled score of around 176 was needed for entry in the past few years.

If your mind is set on not sitting the UMAT, you could apply to Griffith dentistry which doesn't require the UMAT but it does have a full-fee place for the masters component (last 2 years).

It's probably best to study what you would like to do if you don't get into dentistry. Could you picture yourself as a pharmacist/oral hygienist for the long term? This is an answer that I can't provide for you, unfortunately. Do what you think you'd like to do is my only advice.

All the best with your academic goals and feel free to ask anymore questions. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    acbard9, LMG! and Sharon0016 like this.
  3. Sharon0016

Sharon0016 New Member

Thanks for your information.
    I have always wanted to do pharmacy, but after going to the open day I found that maybe oral health would more suit me so I'm really hesitating between them.

4. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Hey Sharon0016 ,

Sorry for the late reply as I missed over your reply but I thought that BOralH was going to be discontinued from UQs courses next year, did they tell you that you could still do it during open day?

5. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    From their initial post, I’m guessing the OP went to USyd’s open day, which may explain this confusion :)

6. Sharon0016

Sharon0016 New Member

I did realize that. But I cannot go to UQ open day as I'm living in NSW, the oral health I mentioned is the one in USYD.