Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Transferring Between Medical Schools

A1

Rookie Doc
Sorry I'm still a little unclear about this and have two questions:
1. If I did do the ucat etc. and eventually get an offer for WSU/Newcastle Med, would I simply unenrol from the Griffith program at the end of first year and enrol into WSU/Newcastle?
2. If I enrol into WSU/Newcastle, would the year I spent doing Med Sci at Griffith wouldn't matter at all? Would I be starting the WSU/Newcastle degree from scratch?
1. You'd finish your Griffith 1st year as normal then not enrol for 2nd year there.
2. Yes you start WSU/UoN from scratch, for several reasons. First-year study programs are not the same across the unis Griffith 1st year can't substitute for WSU/UoN 1st year. And the schools' annual quotas are regulated, if WSU/UoN let you plus 10 others like you into their 2nd year that would bump up their 2nd year cohort by 11 over quota.

darkbox

1. You'd finish your Griffith 1st year as normal then not enrol for 2nd year there.
2. Yes you start WSU/UoN from scratch, for several reasons. First-year study programs are not the same across the unis Griffith 1st year can't substitute for WSU/UoN 1st year. And the schools' annual quotas are regulated, if WSU/UoN let you plus 10 others like you into their 2nd year that would bump up their 2nd year cohort by 11 over quota.
Ahhh I see, thank you!

wiojdbk

Lurker
Hey everyone I was wondering if international students from other Aus medical school are eligible to apply for transfer to UNSW med? On the website it only has information about domestic students... If anyone knows about this case let me know please.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey everyone I was wondering if international students from other Aus medical school are eligible to apply for transfer to UNSW med? On the website it only has information about domestic students... If anyone knows about this case let me know please.
I haven’t heard of that happening before. You could contact UNSW and ask for an official answer but I suspect they’d say it’s not possible.

darkbox

This wouldn’t technically be a transfer though which is a whole different pathway with a process to follow. This would simply be you applying to WSU as a non-standard applicant the same as everyone else who has started a uni degree.

OP could try because, why not, but much like my comment re. letters of request from psychologists likely not cutting it, I can’t see this working either given the new line in the sand it would create for admissions. It may effectively mean that someone ends up with an offer for a uni where they didn’t meet that unis’ offer criteria. That’s a can of worms…!

Don’t want the OP to get their hopes up, tbh!!
LMG I was looking back at some stuff you said in the past regarding non-standard applicants applying to WSU. If as you say "This would simply be you applying to WSU as a non-standard applicant the same as everyone else who has started a uni degree." then I have no chances of getting in (as per what you said in the image below).

Or does my current degree "Bachelor of Medical Science" not count as Medicine yet, in which case I would be fine.

Is UNSW the same as WSU?
1679564472879.png

Thanks

Deboza

UNSW MD II
LMG I was looking back at some stuff you said in the past regarding non-standard applicants applying to WSU. If as you say "This would simply be you applying to WSU as a non-standard applicant the same as everyone else who has started a uni degree." then I have no chances of getting in (as per what you said in the image below).

Or does my current degree "Bachelor of Medical Science" not count as Medicine yet, in which case I would be fine.

Is UNSW the same as WSU?
View attachment 5357

Thanks
Medical science isn't medicine, so I'm not sure what you're worried about?

B64

Hi. I got into JCU this year which I'm happy about but ideally I'd like to try apply after 1 year to get into some medical school's closer to home (NSW) as I really would prefer to intern in my home state. I didn't apply to any of the NSW uni's last year because of my poor-ish UMAT of 75th percentile, but I'm hoping I can improve my score with the new UCAT hitting next year. I know everyone advises that when you get a medical offer you should take it as you may not get another opportunity and I have done so (am going there at least for this year), but in an ideal world I'd love to study med in NSW and you know; maintain contacts, friendships, etc.. I'm wondering if you know if it is possible to, say - apply as a non-standard to certain uni's after 1st year?

I know JCU's MBBS is very integrated which I'm not sure how'll it affect my GPA, but would it be hard to maintain a 'credit average' which would make me eligible for JMP for example? How would this be calculated? My family lives in Newcastle and being able to study there would just be amazing if the opportunity arose, so I want to know my chances, although slim. At least if I don't get in I still have a med place although it just may be some extra time in Qld before I can move back to NSW.

I know many uni's specifically decline applications from other medical schools (I think UNSW and WSU off the top of my head) as the only process is transfer (which I know is for serious extenuating circumstances which obviously aren't applicable here) and is supposedly extremely difficult, but I would like to ask if you know;
  1. Is it possible (especially with a BMP; although that being said the BMP contract says I can leave freely within 1 year without any consequences)? And if so;
  2. What uni's (Australia wide would be good to feed my curiosity, although NSW would be my main interest) am I eligible for and would I be considered in the same boat as other 1st year uni non-standards?
Cheers.

Edit for more transparency: am non-rural applicant.
Hi

You can re-apply which would mean you have to start from first year again. However, you can apply to intern anywhere in Australia when you graduate from JCU. You do not have to graduate from NSW to work there. AHPRA the licensing body for doctors is national so you can work in any state or territory.

umi567

Hello!
Are there any universities in Australia that would accept transferring to another medical school in a different country? I am a second-year medical student and would like to know whether any universities would consider this. Also, would i have to take the UCAT?
Thanks.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello!
Are there any universities in Australia that would accept transferring to another medical school in a different country? I am a second-year medical student and would like to know whether any universities would consider this. Also, would i have to take the UCAT?
Thanks.
Just to clarify, are you a current international student studying overseas and you want to transfer into an International position in an Australian degree?

umi567

Just to clarify, are you a current international student studying overseas and you want to transfer into an International position in an Australian degree?
No, I would like to apply as a domestic student as I'm an Australian citizen but I'm currently studying overseas.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hello!
Thanks.
There is virtually no chance of a lateral transfer.
You can sit the UCAT ANZ and apply non-standard (i.e. uni student not school leaver, using your overseas-uni GPA) to UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU and Bond (domestic full-fee). If successful you re-start at first year medicine. See the criteria in this table
> [Undergrad] - (2023 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

UNSW & WSU have a rule they don't accept non-standard applicants who have been in a medicine course, but I have verified this only applies to Aus-uni medicine not overseas.

Amber Rain

Just out of interest: Is there any capacity to transfer from dentistry at CSU to dentistry at a QLD uni without having to go through the whole application process again?

umi567

There is virtually no chance of a lateral transfer.
You can sit the UCAT ANZ and apply non-standard (i.e. uni student not school leaver, using your overseas-uni GPA) to UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU and Bond (domestic full-fee). If successful you re-start at first year medicine. See the criteria in this table
> [Undergrad] - (2023 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

UNSW & WSU have a rule they don't accept non-standard applicants who have been in a medicine course, but I have verified this only applies to Aus-uni medicine not overseas.
Would it be possible to apply for graduate entry so like sit the gamsat instead of ucat?

A1

Rookie Doc
Would it be possible to apply for graduate entry so like sit the gamsat instead of ucat?
On paper it should be possible, except
1) You will need to complete your overseas study to have an undergrad degree as basis for graduate entry. If that undergrad itself is medicine for graduate-entry medicine it'd seem quite odd.

2) I suggest you read through this GEMSAS Guide to check if any schools exclude using a med degree for graduate entry
> https://gemsas.edu.au/images/pdf/2024-medicine-gemsas-admissions-guide.pdf

(I remember hearing of a rule if one is already in an Aus graduate med school they cannot apply again hoping to get another preferred school, but that's different to your situation).