Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Transferring Between Medical Schools

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Thank you so much for your input!

It'll be a hard decision for me to make, and I'm still coming to terms with not getting the UNSW offer. I'm just fearful of doing another year of UCAT, and the whole mess with uni GPAs and WAMs and such converting to Selection Ranks. I'm not sure if I can do it, or if I am even capable. But I'll just give it my all.

Yeah it is a shame. I seem to remember you took a gap year for mental health reasons. As long as you feel like you’ve made progress there you’re a whole mile ahead of where you were a year ago

Re: selection ranks and that mess. Keep in mind medical entry changes all the time. It feels like multiple times a year at this stage ahah, just do your best and keep your mind open. Keep in mind USyd also exists… and they have more sandstone than unsw which means they make better doctors (/s)

… point is UNSW *seeeeems* like the only option ATM but chances are in a year or two it’s extremely likely either some other uni will come along that fits your situation better or either your situation will fit another uni better!

It’s *far* from over, truly

shadowice

Lurker
Most unis tho will barr current med students from applying though, UNSW is one.
Hey, sorry this is a bit off-topic but this rule doesn't apply to students studying Provisional Medicine at UQ, right? As in they can re-apply to UNSW, WSU etc while studying the undergraduate degree part of the provisional course. I can't seem to find much official information about this specific reapplication process.

jkas

Love to switch with you if it is possible

Is is possible to switch before you start the year or you have to do at least one year?
Hi Raghnar

Would it be possible if you can message me directly on Medstudents online?
Maybe we can work something out with both universities

Look forward to hearing from you

I have a question. I am a recently gradated student looking at going into medicine at JCU.

I have been looking at applying for Bond as well as I live locally, but I am not in a financial position to pay for the full degree. However, if I were accepted into Bond Medicine I would be commencing in May, giving me a bit of experience and some credit in the degree. This would also give me something to fall back onto if I were not accepted into JCU.

How difficult would it be to then transfer to a uni like JCU? I know transferring medical degrees is not as lenient as other degrees but I thought I would ask on here.

Or, would I be better off just commencing my biomedical science degree and waiting until September and not bother applying for bond?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I have a question. I am a recently gradated student looking at going into medicine at JCU.

I have been looking at applying for Bond as well as I live locally, but I am not in a financial position to pay for the full degree. However, if I were accepted into Bond Medicine I would be commencing in May, giving me a bit of experience and some credit in the degree. This would also give me something to fall back onto if I were not accepted into JCU.

How difficult would it be to then transfer to a uni like JCU? I know transferring medical degrees is not as lenient as other degrees but I thought I would ask on here.

Or, would I be better off just commencing my biomedical science degree and waiting until September and not bother applying for bond?
I don’t believe any uni will let you transfer from Bond to another medical degree. The FFP nature of the degree would likely hinder this as well as the fact that transferring between medical schools is incredibly, incredibly rare and requires highly exceptional circumstances.

As for biomedical science, I recommend you read our thread on common pitfalls to avoid - specifically pitfall #2.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Your chances of directly transferring on application between any Uni Med courses are already almost zero. I’d say transferring from a FFP to a CSP course would be exactly zero.

Your only pathway would be to apply as a non-standard using your Bond Med GPA. And this would be dependent on whether JCU accepts students who’ve already started an Australian Med degree (they may not).

That said, you’d be hard-pressed to be “better off” studying BioMed unless you’re thoroughly aware of the pros and cons.

I don’t believe any uni will let you transfer from Bond to another medical degree. The FFP nature of the degree would likely hinder this as well as the fact that transferring between medical schools is incredibly, incredibly rare and requires highly exceptional circumstances.

As for biomedical science, I recommend you read our thread on common pitfalls to avoid - specifically pitfall #2.
Thank you. At this stage I would definitely prefer getting into an undergraduate medical program such as JCU. I do not plan on following through with graduate entry for medicine.

Because my atar (97.00) is not very competitive, I was more so looking at universities that weigh UCAT results higher/have a lower ATAR threshold. I was planning on studying still this year (for structure) whilst still studying for UCAT and attempting to get into universities that don't accept undergraduates that have just graduated - eg, JCU, Newcastle.

Or do you think a year off would be more wise? meaning that my ATAR is still valid and I can solely focus on UCAT preparation? I just thought that it may not be worth it, considering that my ATAR is not very competitive in terms of medicine

Your chances of directly transferring on application between any Uni Med courses are already almost zero. I’d say transferring from a FFP to a CSP course would be exactly zero.

Your only pathway would be to apply as a non-standard using your Bond Med GPA. And this would be dependent on whether JCU accepts students who’ve already started an Australian Med degree (they may not).

That said, you’d be hard-pressed to be “better off” studying BioMed unless you’re thoroughly aware of the pros and cons.
Thanks for your advice. I think I may as well apply for JCU as an undergraduate instead of wasting money on a semester or two of Bond Medicine

2xq

Allied Health Member
Because my atar (97.00) is not very competitive, I was more so looking at universities that weigh UCAT results higher/have a lower ATAR threshold. I was planning on studying still this year (for structure) whilst still studying for UCAT and attempting to get into universities that don't accept undergraduates that have just graduated - eg, JCU, Newcastle.
Not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the bold part.
Or do you think a year off would be more wise? meaning that my ATAR is still valid and I can solely focus on UCAT preparation? I just thought that it may not be worth it, considering that my ATAR is not very competitive in terms of medicine
Have a read of this: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants
You should see a section about gap years.

(offtopic but just realised that this was my 300th message on mso :O)

Not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the bold part.

Have a read of this: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants
You should see a section about gap years.

(offtopic but just realised that this was my 300th message on mso :O)
Oh yes looking back at that it sounds very confusing.
I mean that I would be looking at getting into undergraduate medicine. And not all universities will class me as an undergraduate student (next year) if I did not graduate in 2022 (and I am a 2021 graduate). Because I know some universities are strict about school-leavers.

But, I know some universities will still accept me into undergrad med even if I choose to start my biomedical science degree.

2xq

Allied Health Member

jbebs

Hey guys! Im a medical student at a university in Australia but I am looking to transfer to another medical program as a result of dire medical circumstances. I know that WSU offers this option but when it says academic transcripts must be provided, does that include ATAR/HSC or if I’ve been at uni long enough, that won’t be needed? Thanks guys!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys! Im a medical student at a university in Australia but I am looking to transfer to another medical program as a result of dire medical circumstances. I know that WSU offers this option but when it says academic transcripts must be provided, does that include ATAR/HSC or if I’ve been at uni long enough, that won’t be needed? Thanks guys!
I imagine academic transcripts just refers to your university transcript. Generally ATAR/HSC wouldn’t be referred to with that terminology. Naturally very few people try and go through this process, though, so WSU would be your best port of call to clarify. All the best.

Kartoon

hello all,
I am Post grad Med student in NSW, finished first year, having a gap year this year to boost my mental health (effected by COVID, etc). I would like to transfer to Victoria, as my family are all in Victoria (preferably Deakin). I would appreciate if someone could guide me to the right direction? Is it worth of try or is very minimal chance of being accepted to Deakin? thanks all and have a great day.

chinaski

It's unlikely that a transfer would be allowed just on account of you wanting to be closer to family (this is a common wish of many students - so they'd be careful about not setting a precedent). Reasons for transfer are exceptional in nature or circumstance, and as such comparatively uncommon.