Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Transferring from HSFY otago to Auckland

FSI

Hey, I failed to meet the threshold for otago dent interview and I'm thinking of transferring from HSFY to complete a bachelors at Auckland and try for graduate entry.

I've read all the information about transferring on UoA's website, but I can't quite understand where to start. Do I first apply for a programme at UoA and apply for a transfer of credit through the AS-14 form after I've been accepted?

If anyone had the same experience, I'd really appreciate sharing how you did it and what Bachelors you did?

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi there,

The thresholds are not predetermined and they don't release them, so you may be still in the run.

If you are looking at a transfer, yes, you apply online and you apply for the transfer of credit. You then enroll for the programme and pick your papers.

acbard9 is one of the members who is familiar with the process. They should be able to help you out for any further questions.

Good luck!

FSI

Right thanks! I sure hope I'm still in the run. Sorry if these questions seem obvious, I just don't quite understand if I'm doing it correctly.

So I apply for a program and select a major, and apply for a transfer of credit, and then enroll for the second year of the Bachelor's that I've applied for? (so that for a three year degree, I would finish in 2020?). This probably means that I'd be limited in the number of degrees that I could immediately progress into second year for, since they probably have compulsory first year papers right?

acbard9 if you don't mind sharing, what degree did you end up taking?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

It will depend on which degree/major you want to study. You are probably not used to it because HSFY doesn't let you be like other university students, but it's a lot more flexible when it comes to what and when you take papers, and how you structure your degree. It's also possible to change your major or degree as you progress through.

You will finish in 2020 if you decide to finish in 2020. You don't have to, in general. It will depend on your circumstance and how you want to structure it.

If you are confused still, I would recommend having a look through the Auckland website to learn about choosing papers and how a degree works.

I am happy to answer any questions, so feel free ask.

FSI

Hey, I had a look over the Auckland website and I think I get it. I need to select papers are compulsory and structure my degree to a major.

I also had a chat with the health science admissions about the scoring changes for the 2021 graduate entry pathway to otago.

From what I get, level 300 papers have the highest weighting, and so I should take the maximum number (8?). Is this feasible in terms of workload?

And for the remaining 240 points, I should try fill it up with level-200 as opposed to level 100 papers since they have greater weighting as well.

Is there anything that I'm not understanding here? Really do appreciate the help!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey, I had a look over the Auckland website and I think I get it. I need to select papers are compulsory and structure my degree to a major.

I also had a chat with the health science admissions about the scoring changes for the 2021 graduate entry pathway to otago.

From what I get, level 300 papers have the highest weighting, and so I should take the maximum number (8?). Is this feasible in terms of workload?

And for the remaining 240 points, I should try fill it up with level-200 as opposed to level 100 papers since they have greater weighting as well.

Is there anything that I'm not understanding here? Really do appreciate the help!

Hi FSI,

Yes, the 300-level papers have the largest loading. In theory, you should take as many 300-level (Stage-3) papers as possible as you are not guaranteed good grades. In general, there are no maximum numbers. Things are usually in terms of the minimum. However, eight is a lot for an undergraduate study. Plus, only the best 120 points at 300-level can be used. This is equivalent to about seven and a half 18-point papers. A Bachelor of Science at Otago, for example, you will be required to take a minimum of 72 points at 300-level or above for most majors. This is equivalent to four 18-point papers.

In practice, it's quite hard to find a combination that maximises your chance as there are a number of factors to consider when choosing papers. It is not wise to take as many 300-level ones as possible because they are often harder to do well in. Someone who did fewer, but got more and better lower level papers could have a better chance in the end. If you talk to those who achieved 9.0, a lot of them will tell you (anecdote) that choosing the right papers at the right time, thereby choosing the "right" combination contributed a big part in getting it.

Make sure to familiarise yourself with the rules for both Auckland and Otago entries. They are quite different and it will influence how you go about structuring your programme. For example, the 100-level SS rule at Auckland. Of course, don't forget the plan B as well. Most people don't get in. I don't know how well you have been doing this year, but if you are below average, the chance will be even lower because people don't tend to change overnight.

Good luck!

Reactions: FSI

FSI

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah I'm trying to figure out what papers I should take.

My HSFY average for sem one is 95%, but I'm not so confident in how I might do in higher level papers. Is the jump really big? It probably depends on the paper I guess. I'll check on the other threads about which papers are recommended.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey thanks for the response. Yeah I'm trying to figure out what papers I should take.

My HSFY average for sem one is 95%, but I'm not so confident in how I might do in higher level papers. Is the jump really big? It probably depends on the paper I guess. I'll check on the other threads about which papers are recommended.

Hi,

It depends on the paper/department/lecturer/support/learning-style. Less spoon-feeding. More independent study. Some HSFYers would find it like they are not being taken care of, but most of the time it's because they are not used to learning on their own. Of course, just generalising. I personally think the higher the level the better.

There are papers which a lot of people find good/easier, but there are no guarantees.

You have a very good average from the first semester, well done. Keep up the goid work. Are you only interested in BDS?

Reactions: FSI

FSI

Hey, yeah it seems like a pretty big jump from what I've read so far on MSO. Lab reports and essays aren't things I've done before, and I'm used to having my lectures recorded. Read stuff about having to write 10-12 pages for reports which seems really daunting, but I hope there are resources available to teach me how to do it properly.

Yeah I've spent a lot of time thinking about med vs BDS but I feel as though BDS is better suited for me. I'm still interested in medicine, but it seems like there is a lack of freedom after graduating, like with being a house officer and then also having to specialize for even longer.