Transferring from Para-medicine to Medicine

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by Jai Foenander, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Jai Foenander

Jai Foenander Member

Hi Guys,
    I am considering focusing on applying for para-medicine in case I don't get directly into Medicine. After one year of para-medicine, I plan on transferring into Medicine.
    Is this an advisable plan?
    Thanks in advance.

2. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    This is an excellent plan... IF you can see yourself working long term as a paramedic. If the thought of being a paramedic in the long term doesn't interest you, but you think it's a good stepping stone to Medicine, and you have no intention of, or desire to, ever actually practice as a paramedic, then this is not an excellent plan. If that makes sense :D

Typically: good 'alternative to med' plans involve the following:

Starting a career focussed undergraduate degree in an area that you can see yourself working in long term, given graduate medicine is just about as competitive as undergraduate medicine, and your chances of getting in via this route remain (roughly) similar (in other words, definitely doable but pretty slim).

Being able to use that career focussed undergraduate degree to find part-time employment throughout your medical studies, should you eventually go on to receive an offer. Paramedicine would tick this box, I'd think (similar to nursing, occupational therapy, radiography, physiotherapy, pharmacy, and a whole host of non-allied health degrees like law, etc).

If paramedicine is of interest to you as a possible long term career, then I'd think it's a great stepping stone to possible medicine, though I've not studied it myself. Perhaps Megs can give you a clearer idea of what the role entails?

Benjamin and Cookie like this.
  3. HeadOffCabbageOn

HeadOffCabbageOn Member

+1 to what LMG said.

Though to become a fully qualified paramedic on the road generally requires a post graduate internship position. These take up to a year and are very competitive due to high numbers of paramedicine graduates in both Australia and NZ. In my region (Christchurch) alone there are at least 5 people off the top of my head that are still waiting for internships to progress to paramedic level and they've graduated 2 years + ago. Australia works more on yearly hiring pool of graduates who go through the internship process automatically. NZ has much less opportunities and usually requires new grads to work a year or two as an Emergency Medical Technician before even been considered for the internship pool.

While I wouldn't have done things differently if given the opportunity, the occupation is well known to be quite limited in career options. If you're just interested in general healthcare, nursing or other professions may provide better opportunities.

I work as a paramedic in nz. Leaving shortly as I got an offer into Med.

4. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

I don't know if you are in AU or NZ?

Paramedicine is a good career but you need to be careful; you graduate with a limited qualification in you can only do one thing; be a Paramedic and if you don't like that (which a fair few grads I know do 5 years or so and then end up not liking the shift work and high work volume) well then t hat's just too bad for you because you don't have a qualification allowing yourself to do anything else.

However, if for whatever reason you don't get into med, you need a backup, and honestly, Paramedic is about as close to being a Doc without being one since Australasia doesn't have Physician Associates.

If you are in NZ I'd beware - internship ops are quite limited and I know a few very bitter folks who are working as EMTs or worse, I think one is working as an EMA with ATP (i.e. doing an EMT clinical workload but being paid as an EMA!).

If I were you I'd honestly consider Nursing a better backup plan; much better opportunities and the pay is better, at least in NZ I don't know about pay in Australia.

HeadOffCabbageOn ... stethoscopes at 20 paces so we can fight to the death which of us replaces Tony Smith when he retires? :p

5. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Paramedics don't do anything resembling my job. Apples and oranges.

6. HeadOffCabbageOn

HeadOffCabbageOn Member

I'm happy been another bum on a seat so I'll pass on medical director.

Chinaski: Bang on. Different roles in the health care system.

Megs likes this.
  7. Megs

Megs Member

I certainly agree with very different jobs between being a paramedic and a doctor and unfortunately choosing a job simply because it seems 'close' may only set you up to fail or resent things.
    I qualified a fair number of years ago now and did some work in the ambulance setting. I now work in primary health care and I run a clinic and I am allowed to order limited labs/rad etc but I am in a unique role as well.
    If you're looking at his as a 'back-up' or 'stepping stone' you won't enjoy it. Paramedic burnout is outrageous and average career length is 7 years so think long and hard about that before committing to spending a lot of money with the possibility of not getting into medicine and then being stuck in a job you considered second best and not passionate about. I'm lucky and do get to focus a lot on clinical medicine because I work in a clinic but paramedic work is far more than that and you have to think about a bunch of different things. There is a fair amount of autonomy from a younger career age but there are also restrictions and a lot of political BS that comes with it. However, you do find that with many sorts of organisations so it isn't isolated to the ambulance services and can imagine you find similar issues within the DHB's and PHO's.
    HeadOffCabbageOn (clearly my lack of computer skills means I can't tag you) but good luck with the move back up to Auckland. Sad you didn't come to the New Years party!
    Sorry for the overall delayed reply. Work has been crazy this week.

Cookie and HeadOffCabbageOn like this.
  8. HeadOffCabbageOn

HeadOffCabbageOn Member

I was at the party. Just struck gold and didn't have single etoh pt. Soo good. You gonna try out Oly1?

9. Megs

Megs Member

Ohh I was most certainly talking about the real party haha!
    Na not at this stage. Maybe in 2019 but right now I just feel actually relatively content with work and see if I can tick a couple more life boxes.