• UAC releases their offers at 7am on the 8th of January 2021! For those fortunate enough to receive an offer, congratulations! Please post your details here in the 2021 Entry Collated Data thread.
  • Happy holidays to all on MSO! Recently the staff team have noticed a lot of requests for users to PM them with advice and answers to questions. We kindly ask that these requests and answers are posted publicly on the forum wherever possible, unless it is a personal matter that you aren't comfortable discussing publicly. This allows all users to benefit from the advice as opposed to select individuals, and it also saves the repetition of the same advice multiple times. Cheers!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Dentistry: Incoming Students

bigmankey

p sure the whole of o-week is voluntary, but you may find it helpful attending sessions outside of specific dental course session, simply to meet people and familiarise yourself with the campus.

school website

mammamia

Do we need to wear formal clothes at clinic? Or is casual clothing fine. Also do we need closed leather shoes? Anything else to pack?

ponyswordz

Adelaide BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
Do we need to wear formal clothes at clinic? Or is casual clothing fine. Also do we need closed leather shoes? Anything else to pack?
You need a short-sleeve shirt which you will wear underneath your blue clinic coat or white lab coat (for sim clinic). Both the clinic coat & the white lab coat are bought at the uni shop. As for legwear, they have to be long pants (for both clinic + sim clinic -> jeans are not allowed in clinic but are allowed at sim clinic -> as long as it covers the knees and not like the open patchy-type jeans). Closed shoes are a must for both clinic + sim clinic (clinic requires closed leather shoes whereas sim clinic can allow sneakers and more different types of footwear) General rule of thumb is that formal clothes are a safe bet to wear to the clinic environment. Would also recommend packing swimwear (since apparently going out to beaches is a commonality across all the cohorts) as well as cocktail-like wear (since there will be nights where the AUDSS hosts events for drinking/formals/etc. which often have that dress code).

Rough guideline but hope it helps :)

mammamia

You need a short-sleeve shirt which you will wear underneath your blue clinic coat or white lab coat (for sim clinic). Both the clinic coat & the white lab coat are bought at the uni shop. As for legwear, they have to be long pants (for both clinic + sim clinic -> jeans are not allowed in clinic but are allowed at sim clinic -> as long as it covers the knees and not like the open patchy-type jeans). Closed shoes are a must for both clinic + sim clinic (clinic requires closed leather shoes whereas sim clinic can allow sneakers and more different types of footwear) General rule of thumb is that formal clothes are a safe bet to wear to the clinic environment. Would also recommend packing swimwear (since apparently going out to beaches is a commonality across all the cohorts) as well as cocktail-like wear (since there will be nights where the AUDSS hosts events for drinking/formals/etc. which often have that dress code).

Rough guideline but hope it helps :)
Thanks! Very informative. Does the short sleeve shirt have to be formal or is a t shirt fine?

S21

Hi has anyone received an email about their school ID cards? It's been a while since I've requested one and haven't received an email about it yet....

I just received an offer while I am preparing for the first semester in a vet school... I literally don't know what to do now. Should I go to Adelaide or stay in Melbourne doing the vet course. I really wanted to study both. Sigh...

Caffeine

I just received an offer while I am preparing for the first semester in a vet school... I literally don't know what to do now. Should I go to Adelaide or stay in Melbourne doing the vet course. I really wanted to study both. Sigh...
I think this isn't really something anyone can advise or help you on. This really depends on your personal decision. Are you more interested in a career in Dentistry or a career as a Veterinarian. These two careers whilst both in health are vastly different and while you could study one of the courses and pursue the next straight after it would most likely be a waste of time.

You should also consider the implications of moving to Adelaide financially & see if it is worth the move. If you were just as interested in both careers then I would recommend trying to contact Dentists or Vets prior to the deadline if possible to see how the careers align with your expectations.

Ok. I chose to be a dental student. and.. I think I missed a lot of things like orientation and all invaluable information for the begining of the first semester.

bigmankey

Ok. I chose to be a dental student. and.. I think I missed a lot of things like orientation and all invaluable information for the begining of the first semester.
dw bout it, plenty of other students including myself are on the same boat due to Covid.
Sidenote; look forward to meeting you sometime -b