Adelaide UAdel Medicine: Incoming Students

Scorpion

There has been a Facebook Messenger group chat made too. If you'd like to be added, please PM me or otherwise let me know :)

Does anyone have a list of recommended equipment and textbooks to get for first year? I don't really know where to start or when i should start buying stuff, so if anyone has advice (especially UoA second-years or above) it would be greatly appreciated!

maple12

Does anyone have a list of recommended equipment and textbooks to get for first year? I don't really know where to start or when i should start buying stuff, so if anyone has advice (especially UoA second-years or above) it would be greatly appreciated!
I'm pretty sure you can find what you need for each course in their course outlines here - Course Outlines
If you enter the individual course codes (e.g. BIOLOGY 1310A), and go to learning resources, it will tell you what you need for that subject. Just repeat for all courses to create a complete list!

I'm only starting first year too, but I found a list of different textbooks on the AMSS (Adelaide Medical Students' Society) website. It lists the pros and cons of each textbook, and where they are of best support. I haven't gotten any myself yet, but I think its a good place to start when thinking about what we need.
Education Resources - Adelaide Medical Students' Society

Hopefully this is helpful!

NWL789

Lurker
I would recommend against buying any textbooks before you've started. During O-Week/ first week of term the older years give out links to PDFs of all the textbooks, and I found a lot of the online resources which are available via the uni library/amss website much more useful anyway (MedScape, UpToDate, Best Practice, etc)

- Adelaide uni med graduate

NWL789

Lurker
I would recommend against buying any textbooks before you've started. During O-Week/ first week of term the older years give out links to PDFs of all the textbooks, and I found a lot of the online resources which are available via the uni library/amss website much more useful anyway (MedScape, UpToDate, Best Practice, etc)

- Adelaide uni med graduate

** Forgot to mention - you'll need to buy a stethoscope by first week. Littmann classic III is the most common one that people buy - it's good quality and you can order it online easily (used to also be sold at the uni bookshop but I'm not sure if they still sell it) - and it's also the most common one that doctors use in the hospital except maybe cardiologists so it'll last you. Also a labcoat, safety goggles, and a watch with a second hand on it.