Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Medicine: Tertiary Transfer

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
hello,
i finished my british A levels which was equivalent to an ATAR of 88, am i still eligible to get an entry to the MBBS program?

and if not, i can get into any bachlors program, get a GPA of 5 and re apply for MBBS, will that add an extra year on top of 6 years?

You will need a 90 ATAR to apply, so I dont think it loosk good. You could enter a B. Science or something similar and try to get that GPA of 5.0. And yes, it will be an additonal year, provided you transfer successfully after your 1st year of Sci etc.

jimpotlee

Lurker
Hey there everyone.
Right now, I'm trying to transfer to MBBS from a first year health sciences course.
I recently got an interview, so now I'm really excited I might be able to get in :D
However, I'm not too sure on what kind of scores will get me in.
So far, my GPA in semester 1 was 6.5 and UMAT was 60th percentile (FYI, im a student with a rural background. Much easier to get an interview offer :) )
Are these the kind of scores that will get me into the MBBS course?
Thanks

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hey there everyone.
Right now, I'm trying to transfer to MBBS from a first year health sciences course.
I recently got an interview, so now I'm really excited I might be able to get in :D
However, I'm not too sure on what kind of scores will get me in.
So far, my GPA in semester 1 was 6.5 and UMAT was 60th percentile (FYI, im a student with a rural background. Much easier to get an interview offer :) )
Are these the kind of scores that will get me into the MBBS course?
Thanks

GPA is compeititve so well done. UMAT is ok for rural, no ideal but it got you an interview didnt it? :D

it really all depends on your interview now so get preparing!

RosieM

Hey jimpotlee,

just thought I'd say hey as I'm in the same boat as you! I'm in BSc (advanced), GPA was 6.25 (got 3 HDs and for my fourth I missed out on a D by one percent! so annoyed). Have you got an interview? I have but I'm stressing about my GPA for this sem! I've heard pretty much every second person in health science wants to transfer - do you have any bearing on what sorts of GPAs they have?
:)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hey jimpotlee,

just thought I'd say hey as I'm in the same boat as you! I'm in BSc (advanced), GPA was 6.25 (got 3 HDs and for my fourth I missed out on a D by one percent! so annoyed). Have you got an interview? I have but I'm stressing about my GPA for this sem! I've heard pretty much every second person in health science wants to transfer - do you have any bearing on what sorts of GPAs they have?
:)

From my experience in health sci, only 20% would have the GPA to transfer competitively. I would try to get ~6 to be sure.

formula16

I have a question about tertiary transfer. Will my ATAR that I received in 2013 be considered if I apply for tertiary transfer in 2014? I received an ATAR of 99.85 but unfortunately my UMAT was not good enough for an interview. Will there be any other uses for this ATAR if i want to get into medicine or is the ATAR irrelevant now?

RosieM

Hey formula16, it depends on your uni but I know at mine (adelaide) that once you have started uni, only your gpa counts. With tert transfer for most other degrees, your atar is valid for two years, so if you want to start from first year again, you can just use that (or if you want to try and get credit and go into second year, you use your gpa). Med doesn't allow horizontal transfers into second (or third etc) year but once you have started at uni, you have to use your gpa. This is a different system for entrance into pretty much all the other degrees they have, so be careful as what you read about transfers may not apply to med.
Keep in mind that once you have started at one uni, most other unis will not take you for med - you can only apply for the one you are already studying at.

If I were you, I would take a year off (maybe work at a hospital or gp surgery?) and retake the umat, so then you can use your atar. If you start uni, it will be a whole extra year of working your hardest, which you're probably not super keen for having just done year 12!

formula16

Hey formula16, it depends on your uni but I know at mine (adelaide) that once you have started uni, only your gpa counts. With tert transfer for most other degrees, your atar is valid for two years, so if you want to start from first year again, you can just use that (or if you want to try and get credit and go into second year, you use your gpa). Med doesn't allow horizontal transfers into second (or third etc) year but once you have started at uni, you have to use your gpa. This is a different system for entrance into pretty much all the other degrees they have, so be careful as what you read about transfers may not apply to med.
Keep in mind that once you have started at one uni, most other unis will not take you for med - you can only apply for the one you are already studying at.

If I were you, I would take a year off (maybe work at a hospital or gp surgery?) and retake the umat, so then you can use your atar. If you start uni, it will be a whole extra year of working your hardest, which you're probably not super keen for having just done year 12!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I'm not too keen on taking a year off as I feel this puts too much pressure on me to perform in UMAT. If i don't do well in UMAT, I will feel as if I wasted a year.

Also, in your opinion, is biomedical science or health sciences (both at adelaide uni) a better course if my aim is to do post graduate medicine?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I'm not too keen on taking a year off as I feel this puts too much pressure on me to perform in UMAT. If i don't do well in UMAT, I will feel as if I wasted a year.

Also, in your opinion, is biomedical science or health sciences (both at adelaide uni) a better course if my aim is to do post graduate medicine?

I did Health Sci at Adelaide, but I wouldnt really recommend it, as there is large class sizes and the material is not very stimulating. But it really depends on how you look at it. If you see the course as the beginning of your medicine, you may feel it more engaging. The good thing is you have a lot of flexibility to choose your subjects. I dont know a lot about biomed, you you are more restricted in the subjects you can take.

formula16

I did Health Sci at Adelaide, but I wouldnt really recommend it, as there is large class sizes and the material is not very stimulating. But it really depends on how you look at it. If you see the course as the beginning of your medicine, you may feel it more engaging. The good thing is you have a lot of flexibility to choose your subjects. I dont know a lot about biomed, you you are more restricted in the subjects you can take.

Oh okay. I was planning on taking chemistry and biology as electives for health sciences as this will help with GAMSAT? Oh and I saw that there is an "advanced health science" course being offered this year. Do you know what the difference is between this course and the regular health science course? From what i gather, there is an emphasis on research in the advanced course?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I wouldnt know, sorry. If you are planning on taking chem and bio, then theres not much of an advantage as to having health sci. Biomed sounds like a good plan :)

formula16

I wouldnt know, sorry. If you are planning on taking chem and bio, then theres not much of an advantage as to having health sci. Biomed sounds like a good plan :)

but the job propsects for health sciences seem more appealing. I mean, all the possible career opportunities for biomed seems to be related to being a scientist/researcher.

lumos

Oh okay. I was planning on taking chemistry and biology as electives for health sciences as this will help with GAMSAT?

This would be my recommendation. Admittedly I haven't sat GAMSAT, just UMAT, but I currently tutor some kids who are studying for it and they're all saying that chem, biology and physics electives helped them in the process.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
but the job propsects for health sciences seem more appealing. I mean, all the possible career opportunities for biomed seems to be related to being a scientist/researcher.

That's true. Keep in mind you will have an availaviloty of 2 electives in health sci, so you wont be able to do all 3 sciences.

formula16

That's true. Keep in mind you will have an availaviloty of 2 electives in health sci, so you wont be able to do all 3 sciences.

I guess thats okay, as I took physics in year 12 and thats what GAMSAT requires apparently. So I'll just take chem and bio. Haven't done bio since year 10 so this will be interesting..

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I guess thats okay, as I took physics in year 12 and thats what GAMSAT requires apparently. So I'll just take chem and bio. Haven't done bio since year 10 so this will be interesting..

Haha, its ok. I had never done bio and still managed a credit without a lot of work.

RosieM

Hey,

in regards to biomed/ health science, you'd probably be doing fairly similar subjects in each, but check out the course rule for each which will show you which subjects you can do at each level. I would definitively recommend doing human perspectives in semester two as well as MGC - there's a lot less plant bio and it's really interesting!

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I agree with Rosie, you should take both. Sem 2 bio is more relevant to the medical fields anyway so it would be a good course to take!