Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Decision Making

Hi, could someone please help me because I keep on getting confused with these 'either' questions!!
View attachment 4699 Heyar, basically the question is asking that a potato is round or it a fruit. We know the potato does not have seed.We are not given any other information of what the potato can be.We can’t assume that it’s a fruit accordingto the second statement. Also it’s not necessary that it’s round since wearen’t given any other information.

kkkk

IDK if this has already been asked, but how do y'all deal with super wordy yes/no syllogism questions, like im fine with most of them but if there are a lot of double negetives or conditions, i sometimes lose, track. Now ik that most people draw a flow chart, but how is it ment to look like, i usually just end up writing the same thing from the passage down on my paper in dot point form but it doesnt seem to help, anyone have tips to counter this. If so thx in advanced

JeydinNewWon

Hey here is a screenshot of the terminology from the official UCAT website. Reading this helped me a lot with the DM questions
View attachment 4705
Careful, I warned earlier in one of my comments that UCAT in their banks directly contradicts their definitions. I'm more inclined to say the question banks are correct, however.

Hi, could someone please help me because I keep on getting confused with these 'either' questions!!
View attachment 4699
'Either' means to satisfy either condition. Clearly, there isn't enough information for us to conclude if it is round or if it is a fruit.

cocodreams

Careful, I warned earlier in one of my comments that UCAT in their banks directly contradicts their definitions. I'm more inclined to say the question banks are correct, however.

'Either' means to satisfy either condition. Clearly, there isn't enough information for us to conclude if it is round or if it is a fruit.
Ah yes, regarding the 'substandard product', I clarified and this is their response:
1626857848412.png

cocodreams

Interesting to say the least. They already did review their question banks and update them so I'm surprised this wasn't amended already....
I think what they meant by updating was that they added new questions only. I sat the UCAT last year, and this was the exact same question bank minus the new questions. They updated the definitions, but didn't review and align it with the question bank

JeydinNewWon

I think what they meant by updating was that they added new questions only. I sat the UCAT last year, and this was the exact same question bank minus the new questions. They updated the definitions, but didn't review and align it with the question bank
Did they ever update their definitions? Was this confirmed?

Does anyone understand when to say yes or no when information is inadequate. Whats the difference between a statement following and not. Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 4.46.12 pm.png
How can statement two be concluded without further information? The passage doesn't contradict it, but it doesn't affirm it either.

JeydinNewWon

Does anyone understand when to say yes or no when information is inadequate. Whats the difference between a statement following and not. View attachment 4715
How can statement two be concluded without further information? The passage doesn't contradict it, but it doesn't affirm it either.
Because of the keyword 'can'. 'Can' implies a possibility, so the statement is asking if it is possible. It's not saying that it's 100% true but it's asking if it is possible. Since there is no evidence against this in the premise, we conclude 'YES' it is possible.

Because of the keyword 'can'. 'Can' implies a possibility, so the statement is asking if it is possible. It's not saying that it's 100% true but it's asking if it is possible. Since there is no evidence against this in the premise, we conclude 'YES' it is possible.
Makes more sense. If they substituted the word can for 'are', would the answer then be NO in your opinion?

aeongg

hello ! can someone shed some light on question A because the premise only provides one example (of a mansion in this case) , so we cannot deduce that some were former installations (as it needs to be more than one) ?

1627253544476.png

2xq

Allied Health Member
hello ! can someone shed some light on question A because the premise only provides one example (of a mansion in this case) , so we cannot deduce that some were former installations (as it needs to be more than one) ?

View attachment 4719
I believe you may be correct.

cocodreams

View attachment 4719
I have encountered the same question before and I agree with you. According to UCAT ANZ definition, 'some > 1'

A1

Rookie Doc
I agree the answer in this particular case should be No we cannot deduce, but not because the word Some is >1. It's because of the plural mansions i.e. we cannot deduce from one mansion to plural mansions.

But try this question instead : Several baby fish are living in a pond, the one named "Always Hungry" will grow to 1m long.
Statement : some fish in that pond will grow to 1m long - True or False?