Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

A1

Admissions Speculator
do i have a chance at curtin med with a 82nd ucat and a 98.80?

from nsw no rural
Two years ago a NSW non rural applicant got Curtin place offer with 98.70 & 83%ile, very similar scores to yours.

REGULAR JOE

If I did an 'average to below average interview', what do you think are my chances at UWA or Curtin with 99.95/86th%?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
If I did an 'average to below average interview', what do you think are my chances at UWA or Curtin with 99.95/86th%?
One would have to make quite a few assumptions to give you an accurate answer to this. To be honest, I don’t think questions like this are very useful anyway - if we tell you you can do “pretty bad” or “below average” how will you measure that, and will you perform or prepare for your interview any differently? The best thing you can do is prepare as well as you can and perform your best on the day.

noteven

Two years ago a NSW non rural applicant got Curtin place offer with 98.70 & 83%ile, very similar scores to yours.
What about 88%ile and 6.25 GPA (completed degree) for non-rural applicant from Canberra? I'm a bit confused about how GPA is used by Curtin and I couldn't find much on their site either.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
What about 88%ile and 6.25 GPA (completed degree) for non-rural applicant from Canberra? I'm a bit confused about how GPA is used by Curtin and I couldn't find much on their site either.
We have very limited data for non-standard applicants at Curtin, so this is very difficult to answer. I believe that score combination will be enough to land you an interview, but there's not an overwhelming amount of data to support that so I can't stand by it with any certainty.

Totolier

What would the predicted cut-off for wsu interview invites be? I am A NON-GSW applicant with a 2990 (96%) score. Is this enough to get an interview

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
What would the predicted cut-off for wsu interview invites be? I am A NON-GSW applicant with a 2990 (96%) score. Is this enough to get an interview
As UCAT is new we have nothing to base it off yet, we'll know in a week's time.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
I'd be very surprised if this wasn't enough for a WSU interview. I'd be feeling confident if I were you.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Are they sending interview offers in one week's time? Are they allocating times or do we have to log on and allocate a time?
Afaik only JMP allocates you a date/time. All other schools ask you to book your own via their online booking systems.

Totolier

A1 I would like you to give your opinion as to whether 96% (non-gsw) percentile would make an interview. This is is because
I need to make a decision to buy an interview course (not just asking for the sake of it).

Thanks in advance

Mod edited out caps.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucatboy

Valued Member
A1 I would like you to give your opinion as to whether 96% (non-gsw) percentile would make an interview. This is is because
I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION TO BUY AN INTERVIEW COURSE (not just asking for the sake of it).

Thanks in advance
Crow told you he/she'd be pretty surprised if you didn't score one so maybe go ahead? Also, I'm sure you'll receive many interview invites with that UCAT score so the course will help you for all of them.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
On that note, please don't hold us accountable for the outcomes of your applications if they do not go as you expect them to. Financial decisions like the one above should be made by the individual. We are here to provide guidance only, not guarantees.

Kezza

I need to make a decision to buy an interview course (not just asking for the sake of it).

Thanks in advance

Mod edited out caps.
Or you know - you could just wait and buy one once you find out if you get an interview?

They are not going to fill up prior to offers being released.

A1

Admissions Speculator
lol, they will, that's why I am asking...
Your question has been answered, I'm adding a little for general info.

Previous years a few unfortunate 98%iles have missed out because their 98%ile was made up largely by section 3 score which WSU essentially ignored. This year we have not been told or worked out how WSU will weigh the sections to start with.

Best I can say is your 96%ile = 97%ile UMAT should get an interview provided your scores are fairly uniform across the sections, or WSU do not ignore the sections that you scored higher.

Helmut

äaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
lol, they will, that's why I am asking...
Everyone offering you an interview offer prediction is working off pure speculation as there is no way to know how WSU chooses to use the UCAT this year. I would suggest you contact the interview preparation companies you are interested in, and ask them if they will offer a refund if you purchase their course but don’t end up getting an interview.

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
Your question has been answered, I'm adding a little for general info.

Previous years a few unfortunate 98%iles have missed out because their 98%ile was made up largely by section 3 score which WSU essentially ignored. This year we have not been told or worked out how WSU will weigh the sections to start with.

Best I can say is your 96%ile = 97%ile UMAT should get an interview provided your scores are fairly uniform across the sections, or WSU do not ignore the sections that you scored higher.
Is 96%ile UCAT = 97%ile UMAT an equivalent conversion? I was under the impression that the top 0.5% of candidates got 100%ile in UMAT (due to rounding up?), then 1% of candidates got 99%ile and from there onwards 1% down.

ABT123

Is 96%ile UCAT = 97%ile UMAT an equivalent conversion? I was under the impression that the top 0.5% of candidates got 100%ile in UMAT (due to rounding up?), then 1% of candidates got 99%ile and from there onwards 1% down.
Yeh, I was under this same impression. It also kind of explains why I'd personally seen/heard of a lot more 99s/98s etc. compared to 100s during UMAT, given that UMAT 99 was actually 98.5-99.5, whilst 100 was 99.5+.