Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 95%ile student with a predicted ATAR of roughly 97.05, what are my chances for UNSW, JMP and WSU / how well would I have to do in the interviews? I am eligible for EAS and rural. Also, I feel like my ATAR would go up a bit after the HSC (to 98.5 maybe??)

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
A1 is probably the only one that will give you an exact figure, but to be honest I don’t think it’s particularly helpful to worry about the nitty gritty details in your situation (as you’re going to attend the interview regardless, so the figure won’t be affecting financial decisions etc). You really just need to give the interview your best shot, and as a past interviewee at UNSW who was told you did well (IIRC?) you’re in a very good position with your score combination.

It’s impossible to say how much you could “screw up” your interview by, as this is entirely dependent on the cohort of interviewees for that year - the average interviewee score is probably going to fluctuate each year.

To receive a CSP, you’ll need to be roughly in the top ~24% of applicants post-interview, if my calculations serve me correctly. Obviously this value isn’t exactly spot on as some people that get offered a UNSW place will end up declining and going to other universities.

Anyone, rest assured that you’ve done an incredible job with your academics and UCAT and that you’re in a very good position thus far!

Best of luck :)

Awesome, thanks Crow and A1.

dco

Because when you said rural status you had nothing, I am assuming you are non rural? So I will answer that way
University of Adelaide for Medicine and Dentistry - Dentistry you have a great chance at an interview (last year was 83rd percentile cut off) (Not so sure about medicine; but you would be borderline so worth an application)
JCU for Med and Dentistry (would all depend on how good your written application is)
University of Queensland for Dentistry (in case bonus points are counted), especially if you plan on applying for JCU
Griffith University Dentistry (a very, very long shot probably less than 1% chance but if you have a spot for it on the application why not)
JMP - Have a solid chance at interview, after that it is all based on interview performance (med)
CSU - Have a shot at an interview although it would be borderline (dent)
WSU - again if you have a spot for it, but unless you are GWS, your chances are low.
Bond - If you think it is feasible money wise
UTAS - I am not sure about the cutoffs - but it is a free application iirc so why not
I think that is all I can think of. There might be more
Thanks it helped a lot

Where are you from? If you are from WA, you might be able to apply for rural pathways into UWA and curtin.
No I am from QLD

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Thanks it helped a lot

No I am from QLD
If you are not from WA I'm pretty sure you are ineligible to apply via the rural pathways at UWA and curtin which means that you would have to apply via the normal stream. I think you should do some googling yourself for these two because I might not remember everything correctly though.

A1

Rookie Doc
If you are not from WA I'm pretty sure you are ineligible to apply via the rural pathways at UWA and curtin which means that you would have to apply via the normal stream. I think you should do some googling yourself for these two because I might not remember everything correctly though.

The UWA Broadway is for WA schools only, I haven't seen anywhere the Rural pathway is for WA applicants only.

damn

I just found out I'm eligible for EAS under financial hardship, with an ATAR of approx. 98.7 and UCAT of 2840 + 654 SJT how are my chances of an interview at UNSW for med?

A1

Rookie Doc
I just found out I'm eligible for EAS under financial hardship, with an ATAR of approx. 98.7 and UCAT of 2840 + 654 SJT how are my chances of an interview at UNSW for med?

EAS should boost your ATAR rank to 99.95. That with 90%ile will get a Unsw interview with about 40-50% offer chance.

For reference a 99.95/86%ile was given 50% chance by Unsw but that was 3 years ago. Things are tougher now.

A1 is probably the only one that will give you an exact figure, but to be honest I don’t think it’s particularly helpful to worry about the nitty gritty details in your situation (as you’re going to attend the interview regardless, so the figure won’t be affecting financial decisions etc). You really just need to give the interview your best shot, and as a past interviewee at UNSW who was told you did well (IIRC?) you’re in a very good position with your score combination.

It’s impossible to say how much you could “screw up” your interview by, as this is entirely dependent on the cohort of interviewees for that year - the average interviewee score is probably going to fluctuate each year.

To receive a CSP, you’ll need to be roughly in the top ~24% of applicants post-interview, if my calculations serve me correctly. Obviously this value isn’t exactly spot on as some people that get offered a UNSW place will end up declining and going to other universities.

Rest assured that you’ve done an incredible job with your academics and UCAT and that you’re in a very good position thus far!

Best of luck :)

Surprised they give info about interview performance over the phone/ is this still possible for previous year interviews?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Surprised they give info about interview performance over the phone/ is this still possible for previous year interviews?
I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been their position on the waitlist?

I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been his position on the waitlist?
Sweet thanks, just curious how this was achieved and whether it is still possible.

It's a hard thing to judge w/o an external POV often

A1

Rookie Doc
Sweet thanks, just curious how this was achieved and whether it is still possible.

It's a hard thing to judge w/o an external POV often

Mr Boothey of Unsw Med (I don't know if he is still there, he didn't appear in the Info video this year) was highly helpful with info like where you stand on the final ranking list, how your interview was etc. But of course with the latter you'd only get a diplomatic answer how good it was, never how bad despite not getting an offer.

Mr Boothey of Unsw Med (I don't know if he is still there, he didn't appear in the Info video this year) was highly helpful with info like where you stand on the final ranking list, how your interview was etc. But of course with the latter you'd only get a diplomatic answer how good it was, never how bad despite not getting an offer.
Are you saying to directly contact faculty members as this seems wrong to me? Or should I just try through generic contact med applications email they supply on their website?

i guess any answer is better than nothing

A1

Rookie Doc
Are you saying to directly contact faculty members as this seems wrong to me? Or should I just try through generic contact med applications email they supply on their website?

i guess any answer is better than nothing

Mr Boothey was not a faculty/teaching staff. He was head of the Unsw Med Students/Admissions Office and contactable by phone.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
The UWA Broadway is for WA schools only, I haven't seen anywhere the Rural pathway is for WA applicants only.
On one of the other threads, I don't remember which, I remember some person talking about how they tried to either apply for EAS or rural status from curtin and got rejected because they were interstate.

EDIT: here is the original quote from the person that contacted curtin regarding rurality, I must have just extrapolated it to UWA in my mind:
Thank you!! Just a heads up on Curtin, I sent in my rural application and they replied stating that the rural application is exclusively for Western Australians so no other rural students can apply from interstate

Last edited:

apk22

On one of the other threads, I don't remember which, I remember some person talking about how they tried to either apply for EAS or rural status from curtin and got rejected because they were interstate.

EDIT: here is the original quote from the person that contacted curtin regarding rurality, I must have just extrapolated it to UWA in my mind:
Yeah just Curtin, I got a confirmation email from UWA so they're okay with me being an interstate applicant (I think).

skoy

Lurker
Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98ish (>99.80 according to the Monash SEAS calculator)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97
VR: 700
DM: 750
QR: 810
AR: 790
Total: 3050
SJ: 627
Current State: VIC
Applying to: Monash, UQ, Adelaide, Flinders, UNSW
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: SEAS and Monash Guarantee
Specific Question: What are my chances at getting a place offer at the above unis? I'm really hoping to get into Monash so I won't have to move interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been their position on the waitlist?

It was indeed. It's been a while now so I can't remember whether it was over phone or the "contact us" on UNSW's page (I think it was via contact us), but I asked about possible top-up offers after not receiving admission and they said that they would likely only offer a few top-up places, and it was highly unlikely for me to get a top-up as I was about 20 places down the list (that's where I got the 20 places down).

Last edited:

johnno123

Mod Note: answered

Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: around 6
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93
VR: 570
DM: 680
QR: 880
AR: 770
Total: 2900
SJ: 678
Current State: NSW
Applying to: WSU, JMP (Newcastle)
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: yes
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: no
Specific Question: how much of an impact would my poor VR mark have on my chances of receiving interviews at WSU or JMP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! How likely are my chances of getting an interview offer at Monash with a 72nd%ile UCAT but 99.9-99.95 ATAR (post-SEAs points)? I go to an underrepresented school (in VIC), so I'm eligible for the Monash Guarantee, but I'm unsure how much that would help me?
Thanks!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: around 6
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93
VR: 570
DM: 680
QR: 880
AR: 770
Total: 2900
SJ: 678
Current State: NSW
Applying to: WSU, JMP (Newcastle)
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: yes
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: no
Specific Question: how much of an impact would my poor VR mark have on my chances of receiving interviews at WSU or JMP?

Neither have subscale cut offs so it won’t hurt at all. You’ll get an interview for JMP (with ~25% offer chance), and one for WSU (with higher chance of place offer due to your GWS status).

Status
Not open for further replies.