Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
A1 I would like you to give your opinion as to whether 96% (non-gsw) percentile would make an interview. This is is because
I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION TO BUY AN INTERVIEW COURSE (not just asking for the sake of it).

Thanks in advance
Crow told you he/she'd be pretty surprised if you didn't score one so maybe go ahead? Also, I'm sure you'll receive many interview invites with that UCAT score so the course will help you for all of them.

Kezza

Kevin
A1 I would like you to give your opinion as to whether 96% (non-gsw) percentile would make an interview. This is is because
I need to make a decision to buy an interview course (not just asking for the sake of it).

Thanks in advance

Mod edited out caps.
Or you know - you could just wait and buy one once you find out if you get an interview?

They are not going to fill up prior to offers being released.

A1

Rookie Doc
lol, they will, that's why I am asking...

Your question has been answered, I'm adding a little for general info.

Previous years a few unfortunate 98%iles have missed out because their 98%ile was made up largely by section 3 score which WSU essentially ignored. This year we have not been told or worked out how WSU will weigh the sections to start with.

Best I can say is your 96%ile = 97%ile UMAT should get an interview provided your scores are fairly uniform across the sections, or WSU do not ignore the sections that you scored higher.

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
lol, they will, that's why I am asking...
Everyone offering you an interview offer prediction is working off pure speculation as there is no way to know how WSU chooses to use the UCAT this year. I would suggest you contact the interview preparation companies you are interested in, and ask them if they will offer a refund if you purchase their course but don’t end up getting an interview.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Your question has been answered, I'm adding a little for general info.

Previous years a few unfortunate 98%iles have missed out because their 98%ile was made up largely by section 3 score which WSU essentially ignored. This year we have not been told or worked out how WSU will weigh the sections to start with.

Best I can say is your 96%ile = 97%ile UMAT should get an interview provided your scores are fairly uniform across the sections, or WSU do not ignore the sections that you scored higher.

Is 96%ile UCAT = 97%ile UMAT an equivalent conversion? I was under the impression that the top 0.5% of candidates got 100%ile in UMAT (due to rounding up?), then 1% of candidates got 99%ile and from there onwards 1% down.

ABT123

Is 96%ile UCAT = 97%ile UMAT an equivalent conversion? I was under the impression that the top 0.5% of candidates got 100%ile in UMAT (due to rounding up?), then 1% of candidates got 99%ile and from there onwards 1% down.
Yeh, I was under this same impression. It also kind of explains why I'd personally seen/heard of a lot more 99s/98s etc. compared to 100s during UMAT, given that UMAT 99 was actually 98.5-99.5, whilst 100 was 99.5+.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Yeh, I was under this same impression. It also kind of explains why I'd personally seen/heard of a lot more 99s/98s etc. compared to 100s during UMAT, given that UMAT 99 was actually 98.5-99.5, whilst 100 was 99.5+.
This seems to be supported by ACER's designated 0-100 percentile range. The only way this is possible is by rounding:

0 - 0.499th percentile = 0th percentile
99.5-100th percentile = 100th percentile

Also anecdotal evidence: four friends scored 99th percentile last year but no-one I personally know got 100th.

Last edited:

REGULAR JOE

Hey guys, what do you think are my chances for an interview invite at Uni of Adelaide with 99.45/86th%? I know it's impossible to be certain but a guess would be very much appreciated!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys, what do you think are my chances for an interview invite at Uni of Adelaide with 99.45/86th%? I know it's impossible to be certain but a guess would be very much appreciated!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
UCAT Results Discussion 2019 Here you listed a few universities that you were applying to and A1 answered. Since then you've asked a lot of different questions like this, each time as a separate post, for different universities, in different threads. Is there a reason for this? It would save us a lot of time if you asked all of these in the one go, for future reference.

REGULAR JOE

UCAT Results Discussion 2019 Here you listed a few universities that you were applying to and A1 answered. Since then you've asked a lot of different questions like this, each time as a separate post, for different universities, in different threads. Is there a reason for this? It would save us a lot of time if you asked all of these in the one go, for future reference.
Yep sure, Sorry.

damn

Is it likely that WSU takes abstract reasoning into less consideration in their selection process as it is similar to UMAT section 3?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is it likely that WSU takes abstract reasoning into less consideration in their selection process as it is similar to UMAT section 3?
Your guess is as good as any. We don't know how they will choose to weight each section yet (if it's not overall score then we will have good fun figuring it out based on MSO data). Maybe they'll use overall score for a few years and then check if there's a correlation between certain section scores and whatever they are looking for in their students (high interview scores? good exam results?) and then modify their selection criteria from there. I guess the benefit of them keeping their criteria from the public is that they can modify it as they see fit between years (but technically a med school can do that anyway).

zx72ksq8o

Is scoring a 600 considered ok for my worst section? Assuming that they have cut-offs ... that's ok right? Also, what's my chances for med / hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is scoring a 600 considered ok for my worst section? Assuming that they have cut-offs ... that's ok right? Also, what's my chances for med / hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.
These questions are impossible to answer. UCAT cutoffs - this is the first year that unis are using UCAT so we can't make any calls on cutoff scores (most, if not all, are only looking at overall score anyway so individual section scores are irrelevant), and we don't know how WSU will be using each individual subset of the test. Interview score - this is entirely dependent on the performance of the rest of the applicants. Theoretically you need to be in the top 25% of interviewees for JMP and top 30% at WSU. The selection criteria used by each medical school is viewable here, which I highly recommend you read: [Undergrad] - (2019 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards The way each medical school is using UCAT score: UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

A1

Rookie Doc
Also, what's my chances for med

If you mean med anywhere I'd say 100% chance. 99.95 96%ile rural at least one school will offer you a place.

hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.

For a rural 99.95 WSU & JMP are your least optimal options, since you lose your huge advantages from ATAR+UCAT. You have close to 100% chances at the combo schools like UNSW, Monash, Adelaide, UWA, Curtin. Absolute 100% chances at UQ, Griffith, Flinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.