Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, sorry for being misinformed but how are offers out so early if the HSC hasn't come out, or is this for non-standard/ non-high school leavers?

maniacfish

Hey guys, sorry for being misinformed but how are offers out so early if the HSC hasn't come out, or is this for non-standard/ non-high school leavers?
Some of the schools (wsu, jmp and maybe a few others) send interview invites based solely on ucat performance, so they don't have to wait for atars.Also no invites seem have to actually gone out yet, we're just taking guesses as to when it may happen.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Some unis also ask for predicted ATAR, bypassing the need for your real ATAR to be released before they start making place offers/interview offers.

Some unis also ask for predicted ATAR, bypassing the need for your real ATAR to be released before they start making place offers/interview offers.
WSU and JMP didnt ask for predicted ATARS i dont think..

Some of the schools (wsu, jmp and maybe a few others) send interview invites based solely on ucat performance, so they don't have to wait for atars.Also no invites seem have to actually gone out yet, we're just taking guesses as to when it may happen.
Ahh I see, however, aren't ATARs actually a determining factor in your offer and not just a mibimum quota you have to meet? It seems impractical to give out interviews before ATARs are released, what if people flunk the ATAR

Numerouno

It's good to jump in again in the mix after a year. My second-year MBBS in the UK is sailing OK at the moment. I have a question about one of my friends. He gave both UKCAT and UCAT without knowing (?) that he can't do both. Apparently he scored 2900 in the UKCAT which was taken after UCAT in which he scored only 2540. The UK universities advised him that the first sitting scores can only be considered (i.e UCAT) so he shot himself in the foot! Now as Aus universities do not consider UKCAT scores, the UCAT stands at 2540. Is there any chance for him as he scored all sections above 620 plus SJT 740. ATAR prediction around 95.00. I am not sure about JMP /Curtin /UWS/ with UCAT cut off and he had also put in a heavy EAS request with a close relative living with him passed away during HSC Trials and one other seriously ill admitted three times needing surgeries through the year ( also living with him) and he also did a language subject by distance education. Please advise if he has any chance at all. 🤔 Thanks.

maniacfish

Ahh I see, however, aren't ATARs actually a determining factor in your offer and not just a mibimum quota you have to meet? It seems impractical to give out interviews before ATARs are released, what if people flunk the ATAR
for both jmp and wsu, atar is simply a hurdle. Applicants who don't meet the requirements will just not be eligible for offers when the time comes. Since they interview heaps of people and have pretty low atar requirements they can afford to do this.

Kezza

Kevin
for both jmp and wsu, atar is simply a hurdle. Applicants who don't meet the requirements will just not be eligible for offers when the time comes. Since they interview heaps of people and have pretty low atar requirements they can afford to do this.
Speaking as someone who meets the GPA requirements i'd rather they checked this first and then offered interviews - would mean interviews for lower UCAT scorers as opposed to missing out on a spot for interviews for someone who eventually will not qualify anyway.

So aslong as youre above 93.5/ 95.5 and the 94.whatever for JMP, the ATAR isnt a factor in your selection, its just interview and UCAT? Are you sure?

Speaking as someone who meets the GPA requirements i'd rather they checked this first and then offered interviews - would mean interviews for lower UCAT scorers as opposed to missing out on a spot for interviews for someone who eventually will not qualify anyway.
I completely agree, what if someone flunks the HSC and ends up with an ATAR that doesnt qualify them for eligibility anyway.

whatup245

would u guys say an 82nd ucat would get an interview for JMP? or nah

also has someone ever been super borderline like 80 ucat with 93 94 95 atar annd still got in?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The thing is since atar and ucat are hurdles, they won't count in your final place ranking. Like helmut_schmidt said, the interview performance has a 100% weighting to your final selection.

Just to clarify for JMP, they do have the MSA, yes, but there is also the PQA that is conducted at the same time as the MSA and is used, in some unspecified way, to determine offer eligibility.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc

Invites for JMP interviews are sent out in October well before ATAR and semester 2 results are known. How would you suggest they check first before offering interviews?

They could also counter your argument with saying their intent is to interview 600, but have increased it to 750-800 to compensate for the slots taken by those eventually ineligible.

Kezza

Kevin
Invites for JMP interviews are sent out in October well before ATAR and semester 2 results are known. How would you suggest they check first before offering interviews?

In my comment I was denoting that once results are calculated for ATAR in December then interview offers would go out for interviews to take place in later December.

They could also counter your argument with saying their intent is to interview 600, but have increased it to 750-800 to compensate for the slots taken by those eventually ineligible.

True, I didn't think about it this way - I guess there is really no way of knowing the rejection rates from failed ATAR out of those 800 students and what that delta in UCAT score threshold would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.