Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi all,

I was wondering if one of the more experienced members could advise me on my chances of getting into Monash uni med. I am a Victorian (not rural), got a UCAT of 2820 (89th percentile) and am likely to receive an atar around 98 (99.1 after adjustment factors). I may qualify for the Monash guarentee, but for various reasons I am unsure, so if you could comment on my chances either way that would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance, King

Afaik the Monash guarantee helps get you an interview, it does not improve your place offer chance. You can disregard it since adjusted 99.1 & 89%ile should get you an interview anyway. Your offer chance is around 20-30%.

Just got the Atar 99.55 in Vic, ,no UCAT,none Rural ,is any possible get one place in USC? I will get one offer in La trobe, but still want do medicine.

A1

Rookie Doc
Just got the Atar 99.55 in Vic, ,no UCAT,none Rural ,is any possible get one place in USC? I will get one offer in La trobe, but still want do medicine.

Yes you'll definitely get USC, but why not Griffith Nathan/Gold Coast?

(OOps sorry I misread that as 99.95, 99.55 should get USC though).

Lily01

Lurker
Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97th
VR: 720
DM:
QR:
AR:
Total:
SJ:
Current State:
VIC
Applying to:
Monash University, University of Adelaide
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: No
Specific Question: I’ve just received my ATAR (did not expect this high!) and I’m wondering what my offer chances (perhaps as a percentage?) at Monash and Adelaide are. My interview at Adelaide was horrific and I’m currently overseas, returning just before the Monash interviews (I won’t time to adequately prepare). How well would I have to perform in the Monash MMI for an offer?

A1

Rookie Doc
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97th
VR: 720
DM: 710
QR: 840
AR: 780
Total: 3050
SJ: 638
Current State: VIC
Applying to: Monash University, University of Adelaide
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: No
Specific Question: I’ve just received my ATAR (did not expect this high!) and I’m wondering what my offer chances (perhaps as a percentage?) at Monash and Adelaide are. My interview at Adelaide was horrific and I’m currently overseas, returning just before the Monash interviews (I won’t time to adequately prepare). How well would I have to perform in the Monash MMI for an offer?

Vic student with 99.95 + 97%ile there's already a Monash place with your name on it, provided you don't flunk the interview. It's unusual to completely mess up an 8-station MMI though, iow you can afford to do a below-par interview and still get in, just don't do an abnormal one.

For Adelaide even with 99.95 I estimate your offer chance is only 30-40%. Big difference being Adelaide interviews 800 for 140 places whereas Monash interviews ~450 Vic students for 210 offers (total 240 but Monash keeps ~30 places for interstates). Your ATAR+UCAT is likely in the top 30 of the Monash 450, giving a large buffer for the interview before your final ranking drops below the offer zone.

Applying for: (Medicine and/or Dentistry) Med
Application Type: (School leaver, gap year, non-standard) School Leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: (actual if gap year or uni grad, BOTH ATAR and GPA if non-standard and applying to UNSW) 99.7
UCAT Percentile Rank: 88
VR: 680
DM: 790
QR: 710
AR: 630
Total: 2810
SJ: 709
Applying to: (all universities, or name specific universities) All
Rural Applicant: (yes/no) No
GWS Applicant: (yes/no) No
Indigenous Applicant: (yes/no) No
Other: (SEAS, Broadway, Monash guarantee) No
Specific Question: (if you have an additional specific question, please add it here providing as much detail/clarity as possible)
Chances of Monash interview/place offer?
Curtin/WA?
Especially with my poor AR score (lol)
+ have had a JCU interview which didn't go too well

A1

Rookie Doc
Predicted ATAR/GPA: (actual if gap year or uni grad, BOTH ATAR and GPA if non-standard and applying to UNSW) 99.7
Specific Question: (if you have an additional specific question, please add it here providing as much detail/clarity as possible)
Curtin/WA?

Your AR score itself is not relevant to these schools. You should get interviews from Monash & Curtin, borderline for one from UNSW. On the ATAR/UCAT alone you should get UWA as well but maybe not if UWA invites few interstates thus higher cutoff.

Offer chances are in the 20-30% zone, except UNSW more like 10-15% (if you get an interview).

Smelly Boy

I can be ur angle 😇 or ur devil 😈
Valued Member
Curtin/WA?
Adding to A1’s comment regarding UNSW:
Last year I had 88%ile UMAT & was told I needed a 99.85 ATAR equivalent to reach the interview stage. Definitely on the border. Best of luck!!

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
:(
A1, unfortunately it was the case that the 99.95/90%ile did not receive a January round interview – it would appear that the UMAT cutoff was just 91%ile for second round regardless of ATAR, so that ruled them out. I am certain that the application was sent. Unless you could show data for someone that got a second round interview with a below 91%ile UMAT, I stand by my statement.
Yes you may be right. The previous year's cutoffs for 2nd round interviews was 98.2 & 84%ile (these were based on the lowest scores that succeeded with a place offer in the 1st round). I couldn't believe it jumped from 84%ile to 91%ile in one year, that was a HUGE jump.

Last edited:

Ucataus

I was wondering what my chances are for med and dent at UQ with an op 1 and a ucat of 2890 (93%ile)?

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
A1, unfortunately it was the case that the 99.95/90%ile did not receive a January round interview – it would appear that the UMAT cutoff was just 91%ile for second round regardless of ATAR, so that ruled them out. I am certain that the application was sent. Unless you could show data for someone that got a second round interview with a below 91%ile UMAT, I stand by my statement.

I just checked the collated data and found something weird.

For 2018 intake Adelaide cutoff for interview was 84%ile, UNSW lowest posted UMAT was 99.95+84%ile.
For 2019 intake Adelaide cutoff for interview jumped to 89%ile, UNSW lowest posted UMAT 99.95+90%ile.

A very strange coincidence in the jump, or was it even a coincidence?

Anyway apparently the 99.95+90%ile didn't succeed getting a UNSW place, based on that UNSW raised the UMAT cutoff to 91%ile for the interstate interview round. I admit I didn't pay attention to this, I kept thinking UNSW was still around its 2018 levels.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I just checked the collated data and found something weird.

For 2018 intake Adelaide cutoff for interview was 84%ile, UNSW lowest posted UMAT was 99.95+84%ile.
For 2019 intake Adelaide cutoff for interview jumped to 89%ile, UNSW lowest posted UMAT 99.95+90%ile.

A very strange coincidence in the jump, or was it even a coincidence?

Anyway apparently the 99.95+90%ile didn't succeed getting a UNSW place, based on that UNSW raised the UMAT cutoff to 91%ile for the interstate interview round. I admit I didn't pay attention to this, I kept thinking UNSW was still around its 2018 levels.
It really be like dat sometimes.. 😓😓

Adelaide's UCAT cutoff rose further to 2860 (91st percentile) this year - is UNSW gonna follow suit again? 🤔🤔

Cal

vibe
It really be like dat sometimes.. 😓😓

Adelaide's UCAT cutoff rose further to 2860 (91st percentile) this year - is UNSW gonna follow suit again? 🤔🤔
Nope, I cannot foresee that considering the weighting of atar. If you have a 99.95 you should get an interview even with like 88ish. But you could destroy my words if it is true lmaooo

dark

UCAT Percentile Rank: 93rd
Applying to: Monash University

How well would I have to perform in the interview?

A1

Rookie Doc
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93rd
Applying to: Monash University

How well would I have to perform in the interview?

Your offer chance is likely around 70-80%. Stay above the bottom third interview scores you should get an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.