UCAT Results Discussion 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Background:
UCAT is very low, 99.65 ATAR, Non-Rural
Due to my low UCAT score, I didn't get interviews anywhere, I also did not get in at JCU
What are my options now?
Which is the best one(I don't prefer to take a gap year).
Thanks for the help!

Your best bet (though it may be a close run thing and certainly isn’t a guarantee) would be USC via QTAC for provisional Med. Definitely worth an application assuming that’s still an option (I believe it is but you would want to add it to your QTAC preferences ASAP if you’ve not already done so). Good luck!

Tomato

Your best bet (though it may be a close run thing and certainly isn’t a guarantee) would be USC via QTAC for provisional Med. Definitely worth an application assuming that’s still an option (I believe it is but you would want to add it to your QTAC preferences ASAP if you’ve not already done so). Good luck!
The USC application deadline was yesterday.

Abhi20

Ahh, crap, hopefully the OP already had it in their QTAC preferences! Thank you for the update.
I did thanks though! I was actually wondering about joining uni's like UNSW where I can join a course resit the UCAT and then attempt to get into medicine. Is this a good idea? do any other universities offer this?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
I did thanks though! I was actually wondering about joining uni's like UNSW where I can join a course resit the UCAT and then attempt to get into medicine. Is this a good idea? do any other universities offer this?

Yep, there is heaps of info about this in the forum but it’s off-topic for this thread so I suggest you have a look around. Non-standard entry is what you’re after.

Anna12299

Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School Leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 95.85 (actual)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 79
VR: 570
DM: 670
QR: 780
AR: 750
Total: 2770
SJ: 643
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR):
Current State: VIC
Applying to: Tasmania university
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant:
No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: SEAS
Specific Question: What are the chances of receiving an offer from Tasmania university? Since international students will less likely be applying due to covid restrictions, does this increase chances of receiving an offer?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
It’s unlikely you will be competitive with that score, last year the non rural atar was up in the high 99

As a side note, domestic and international places are independent of each other. So that wouldn’t change anything

Applying for: Dentistry
Application Type: school leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.01
UCAT Percentile Rank: 92
VR: 600
DM: 740
QR: 760
AR: 860
Total: 2960
SJ: 711
Current State: NSW
Applying to:
All Dentistry Unis
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant:
Yes
Indigenous Applicant:
No
Other:
Specific Question:
My first preference university is UQ Dent. What do you think are my chances considering my scores?

Last edited by a moderator:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Applying for: Dentistry
Application Type: school leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.01
UCAT Percentile Rank: 92
DM: 740
QR: 760
AR: 860
Total: 2960
SJ: 711
Current State: NSW
Applying to:
All Dentistry Unis
GWS Applicant:
Yes
Indigenous Applicant:
No
Other:
Specific Question:
My first preference university is UQ Dent. What do you think are my chances considering my scores?

Pretty fair. Most years the cut off is around ~90th percentile (last year 88th, 2019 91st, 2018 88th) so assuming too much doesnt change it should be fine. However with the increased amount of unproctered exams, higher cut offs from other med/dent schools, and the introduction of interviews at UQ med, we may see the cut off shoot up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty fair. Most years the cut off is around ~90th percentile (last year 88th, 2019 91st, 2018 88th) so assuming too much doesnt change it should be fine. However with the increased amount of unproctered exams, higher cut offs from other med/dent schools, and the introduction of interviews at UQ med, we may see the cut off shoot up.
Thanks so much for the reply! How would UQ med interviews impact dent application? Also regarding the increase in UCAT cutoffs, CSU dent increased from 93-96. Do you reckon UQ would follow a similar trend ?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Previously anyone who had a 99 selection rank and high enough UCAT would just get med no questions asked, now that there’s interviews there’s a good chance that some of those applicants no longer get into med and choose dentistry as their backup.

Considering how small the dental program is relative to the med program the overflow can cause a bit of a shift in requirements.

IIRC The reason CSU changed so much this year is they instituted a 50% interview quota for ATSI applicants (Cal or Dreamer can you confirm?). Obviously this won’t affect UQ directly, but imagine all of those CSU dent hopefuls with UCAT scores <96th who will now be more reliant on UQ...

Ultimately i think the cut off will be somewhere around 92/93 ish, but it all really just depends on how UQ decides to give offers this year (there’s some discussion on the UQ dent page about how they might differentiate applicants)

Cal

vibe
The somewhat fortunate truth, is that as more universities wisely introduce interviews into the entrance process, more high combo atar ucat students get rejected, and seek any form of entry. In this case, UQ dent is one of the very last remaining med or dent schools which doesn't require an interview, and it is in Brisbane City. So as fewer of these exist, cut.offs go up. Simple as that. And because a big one in Brisbane - UQ only just introduced interviews, it is likely to increase the hopeful applicant pool for dent.

timleyton

Applying for: Med
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 97
UCAT Percentile Rank:75
Current State:
WA
Applying to:
UWA, Curtin
GWS Applicant: No
Other: UWA Broadway
Specific Question: hey guys, what are my chances of getting a uwa broadway offer. Ive already had my uwa interviews, but that was with a predicted atar of 98.3. thanks!!

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Applying for: Med
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 97
UCAT Percentile Rank:75
Current State: WA
Applying to: UWA, Curtin
GWS Applicant: No
Other: UWA Broadway
Specific Question: hey guys, what are my chances of getting a uwa broadway offer. Ive already had my uwa interviews, but that was with a predicted atar of 98.3. thanks!!

We can’t predict offers where an interview is part of the final ranking, only chance of getting an interview in the first place. Your interview performance is a complete unknown to us, as is your performance related to other students. You’ll just need to wait and see now.

timleyton

We can’t predict offers where an interview is part of the final ranking, only chance of getting an interview in the first place. Your interview performance is a complete unknown to us, as is your performance related to other students. You’ll just need to wait and see now.
but would a 97/75% have gotten an interview invite as a broadway, or would that have been too low? Because isnt 97 pretty low for the broadway quota which ranges from 96 - 99?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
but would a 97/75% have gotten an interview invite as a broadway, or would that have been too low? Because isnt 97 pretty low for the broadway quota which ranges from 96 - 99?
If you interviewed, you have a chance. Who knows, maybe your interview performance was top 10? It’s not long now to wait.

kfcrat

Hi Everyone! This is my first post on here ^_^

I'm pretty sure second round interview offers have already all been handed out for monash undergrad med, and I unfortunately did not receive one. I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but I was wondering how much higher of a UCAT score approx do you guys reckon I would have needed in order to get an interview?

my UCAT was pretty low, 2700 which corresponds to the 72nd percentile.
DM: 800
QR: 640
AR: 660
SJT: 638

ATAR: 98.80 +seas + monash guarantee.

I also had all three of the med courses on my VTAC (ERC, bonded + school leaver)

I was expecting my SEAS (as I had difficult circumstances) to pull up my atar to possibly 99. something, so I reckon it was definitely my ucat which prevented me from getting an interview, but yeah I'm just wondering how much higher of a ucat I would have needed.

Thanks! :)

A1

Admissions Speculator
I was wondering how much higher of a UCAT score approx do you guys reckon I would have needed in order to get an interview?
The lowest I see in the collated data is a 98.1+SEAS / 89%ile. Your 98.8+SEAS would probaby need around 80%ile.
(Btw you get an ATAR boost for SEAS or MG, but I believe if you get both SEAS+MG you don't get a double boost)

The lowest I see in the collated data is a 98.1+SEAS / 89%ile. Your 98.8+SEAS would probaby need around 80%ile.
(Btw you get an ATAR boost for SEAS or MG, but I believe if you get both SEAS+MG you don't get a double boost)
My friend from VIC with ATAR 98.8 and UCAT 83 didn't get a Monash interview this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.