VR: 650
DM: 780
QR: 870
AR: 880
Total: 3180
SJ: 640
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 733
Current State: NSW
Applying to: UNSW, JMP, WSU, Monash, UQ, Adelaide, UWA, Flinders, Griffith, UTAS
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: SEAS
Specific Questions: How do med schools take into account SEAS and how do we know we are successful in its application?
Also, are there any med schools that I'm missing and might have a shot at?
Thank you for your time :D

You look good for interviews at UNSW, JMP, WSU, UQ, Adelaide, UWA, Flinders (if eligble for UES), and maybe Griffith depending on how the cookie crumbles

Unfortunately your ATAR is probably too low for interstate Monash, although Im not sure how SEAS will play into that - it might boost you up to what you need. UTAS is generally unpredictable, but if theyre the same as last year, you probably wont get an offer.

It's probably worth an application to JCU due to your high ATAR, and Curtin aswell (considering youre already buying QTAC and TISC accounts for UQ and UWA).

EDIT: Didn't see your specific question at first. I dont really know how SEAS works re: med school, someone might be able to help out

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Noote: Answered for Dent, needs med
Applying for: (Medicine and/or Dentistry)
Application Type: School Leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.1
UCAT Percentile Rank:78
VR:640
DM:750
QR:730
AR:640
Total:2760
SJ:593
Current State: WA
Applying to: All universities, Preferably one in WA
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: N/A
Specific Question: What are my chances at UWA or Curtin? (Really hoping for a WA uni)

S

Sokka

Answered

Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.4 - 99.75
UCAT Percentile Rank: 98
DM: 780
QR: 870
AR: 880
Total: 3180
SJ: 640
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 733
Applying to: UNSW, JMP, WSU, Monash, UQ, Adelaide, UWA, Flinders, Griffith, UTAS
Other: SEAS
Specific Questions: How do med schools take into account SEAS and how do we know we are successful in its application?
Also, are there any med schools that I'm missing and might have a shot at?
Thank you for your time :D
Look up SEAS calculator and go on the monash website. Enter your predicted ATAR and SEAS categories and you should get an estimate. This gives an indication on the boost you can get from Monash. Unfortunately idk any other unis that do this.

Cal

vibe
Applying for: (Medicine and/or Dentistry)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.1
UCAT Percentile Rank:78
VR:640
DM:750
QR:730
AR:640
Total:2760
SJ:593
Current State: WA
Applying to: All universities, Preferably one in WA
Specific Question: What are my chances at UWA or Curtin? (Really hoping for a WA uni)

DENT
TKAO Can give you some advice about UWA, but I think you are in good footing for a Dent interview there with your WA standing, Your UCAT/ATAR will limit you from everywhere else, apart from Latrobe (which may get you a spot with a 99.1) and JCU which would get a spot with a strong written. Good luck!

If I can get my atar to 99.5, would that be helpful in increasing my chances at UWA med? Not sure if 99.5 will do that much more than 99.1

A1

Rookie Doc
If I can get my atar to 99.5, would that be helpful in in creasing my chances at UWA med?

Since UWA selects interviewees off UCAT only 99.5 won't improve chance getting an invite. But if you do get an interview it will improve your chance getting a place offer.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
From TKAO:

Your UCAT should be able to get you an interview into UWA confidently. For Both. Curtin is pretty much out of the question for you. Prep like you are going to get an interview because I'm certain you are, but realise that that ATAR is very low. An increase to 99.5 is significant enough, but without bonuses I only know of one person with a low 99 like yours that got in. And she's represented Australia in international debating so she blitzed her interview no doubt about it. I only know of people who have gotten in with that ATAR or lower via broadway or rural so your chances with that ATAR is unfortunately small but you will get an interview so do well in it. Also keep your hopes realistic - I don't want to sound harsh, but it's a little wishful at this point thinking that your ATAR is going to rise by 0.4 points especially if you are already in your 99s or you are some fringe case since more than half the year has already gone by.

Cal

vibe
do you reckon a 78 ucat can get me an interview at uwa
im making this a copypasta now cause it cactus jack said so

from TKAO :
Your UCAT should be able to get you an interview into UWA confidently. For Both. Curtin is pretty much out of the question for you. Prep like you are going to get an interview because I'm certain you are, but realise that that ATAR is very low. An increase to 99.5 is significant enough, but without bonuses I only know of one person with a low 99 like yours that got in. And she's represented Australia in international debating so she blitzed her interview no doubt about it. I only know of people who have gotten in with that ATAR or lower via broadway or rural so your chances with that ATAR is unfortunately small but you will get an interview so do well in it. Also keep your hopes realistic - I don't want to sound harsh, but it's a little wishful at this point thinking that your ATAR is going to rise by 0.4 points especially if you are already in your 99s or you are some fringe case since more than half the year has already gone by.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

From TKAO:

I'll try my best :). The only reason why I mentioned the 99.1 to 99.5 increase was because I still have my mocks (which are weighted around 12.5% overall) and then the actual WACE exams which are weighted around 50%. So that 99.1 was my predicted and the teachers at my school have been pretty tight when it comes to the mark.

ddyymin

Applying for: Dentistry
Application Type: Uni undergrad transfer
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.5-7
UCAT Percentile Rank: 89
VR: 520
DM: 630
QR: 880
AR: 870
Total: 2900
SJ: 527
Current State: SA
Applying to: UofA (unless ucat score qualifies for other interstate unis)
Specific Question: What are my chances for an Adelaide dent interview and if possible any other interstate unis.

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Application Type: Uni undergrad transfer
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.5-7
UCAT Percentile Rank: 89
VR: 520
DM: 630
QR: 880
AR: 870
Total: 2900
SJ: 527
Current State: SA
Applying to: UofA (unless ucat score qualifies for other interstate unis)
Specific Question: What are my chances for an Adelaide dent interview and if possible any other interstate unis.

Your UCAT would be competitive under the normal non standard scheme, but with the added tertiary transfer bonus (assuming youre a current UAdel student) (edit: NM they dont do this for dent!, you should still be good)

It would probably be worth an application to UQ and Griffith (and JCU aswell because it wont cost any extra) as last year UQ was 88th %tile UCAT with a 6.5 GPA hurdle for a place offer, and Griffith was 6.875 for a place offer.

Great work!

Last edited:
Mod note: Answered

Application Type: Uni undergrad transfer non standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.8+
UCAT Percentile Rank: 88
VR: 580
DM: 710
QR: 780
AR:
Total: 2890
SJ: 673
Current State:
SA at UofA bhms
Applying to: all non standard unis
Specific Question: did not know that UofA had tertiary bonuses for dentistry, if so would my UCAT hopefully be enough for an interview?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Application Type: Uni undergrad transfer non standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.8+
UCAT Percentile Rank: 88
VR: 580
DM: 710
QR: 780
AR:
Total: 2890
SJ: 673
Current State:
SA at UofA bhms
Applying to: all non standard unis
Specific Question: did not know that UofA had tertiary bonuses for dentistry, if so would my UCAT hopefully be enough for an interview?

My bad and I looked it up and it doesnt seem like they do.

Otherwise, you should be borderline for an interview (87th last year) at Adelaide, borderline for a place at UQ (88th second round last year), and Griffith (6.875). JCU is largely dependent on the application so its hard to predict but the 6.8 GPA will put you in a good place. Best of luck!

I'll try my best :). The only reason why I mentioned the 99.1 to 99.5 increase was because I still have my mocks (which are weighted around 12.5% overall) and then the actual WACE exams which are weighted around 50%. So that 99.1 was my predicted and the teachers at my school have been pretty tight when it comes to the mark.

So just to clarify, if I can get my atar to 99.5, is that sufficient enough to have a solid standing in the rankings for UWA. (as in have their been ppl with similar ucat and atar). Is it also true that UWA gives preference to WA applicants?

p.s sry for being pushy, just really stressed 😥

A1

Rookie Doc
So just to clarify, if I can get my atar to 99.5, is that sufficient enough to have a solid standing in the rankings for UWA.

Tbh 99.10+78%ile is pretty hopeless despite getting an interview. 99.50+78%ile is still far from solid but at least it gives a fighting chance. All you can do is give your best efforts in the interview.

Is it also true that UWA gives preference to WA applicants?

Apart from the rural & EAS/Broadway UWA offer 65 places in the Academic pathway. Based on TISC stats this 65 seems to be split roughly 50 WA + 15 interstate. Due to the smaller number interstate applicants need a higher ATAR+UCAT combo, although I've seen an interstate 99.20+97%ile got an interview. This wouldn't get one with Monash or UNSW.

fluffyboy

BMS/MD I
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95
UCAT Percentile Rank: 83
DM:
QR:
AR:
Total:
SJ:
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR):
Current State:
NSW
Applying to:
USYD, UNSW, Joint Med (UoN), Flinders, UAdel, UTas, (idk about Bond)
Other: nope
Specific Question: My sister already goes to Bond Uni for Med and I don't want to put a massive financial strain on my dad, does anyone know alternative funding methods if I consider going there?
Are there any other Unis I should consider with my UCAT/ATAR? - Also I didn't do chem or bio... big rip :(

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95
UCAT Percentile Rank: 83
DM: 740
QR: 700
AR: 720
Total: 2810
SJ: 574
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 679.4
Applying to: USYD, UNSW, Joint Med (UoN), Flinders, UAdel, UTas, (idk about Bond)
Other: nope
Specific Question: My sister already goes to Bond Uni for Med and I don't want to put a massive financial strain on my dad, does anyone know alternative funding methods if I consider going there?
Are there any other Unis I should consider with my UCAT/ATAR? - Also I didn't do chem or bio... big rip :(

You are guaranteed an offer at Griffith so you definitely don’t have to worry about Bond. You’ll get a USyd interview where there is very favourable offer ratio. And you’ll get UMelb guaranteed. All are provisional.

Your UCAT won’t be competitive for JMP, UNSW, WSU, UAdel, UTAS, etc, so those three are your best bet.

Good luck!

ETA: ahh, just saw you didn’t do chem or bio... that might change things, I can’t remember.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
You are guaranteed an offer at Griffith so you definitely don’t have to worry about Bond. You’ll get a USyd interview where there is very favourable offer ratio. And you’ll get UMelb guaranteed. All are provisional.

Your UCAT won’t be competitive for JMP, UNSW, WSU, UAdel, UTAS, etc, so those three are your best bet.

Good luck!

ETA: ahh, just saw you didn’t do chem or bio... that might change things, I can’t remember.

The chem prereqs will make them ineligible for Adelaide and UTAS. Otherwise they’re good. They might be able to do a bridging course in the holidays if they prefer the cold and would rather be at UTAS.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Good luck! Prove me wrong and show up to UWA next year! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.