UCAT Scholarships

Discussion in 'UCAT' started by TheKuanAndOnly, May 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM.

1. TheKuanAndOnly

TheKuanAndOnly New Member

Hey guys,

I've been to a couple of talks and whatnot from UCAT companies and other people that say that there are opportunities for scholarships if you get a good UCAT. However, looking at uni scholarship pages, I don't see anything that pertains to the UCAT/UMAT and the results from it. Therefore, to me, it sounds like it's a bit of a sham dangled in front of you to get you to try harder.

Are these 'scholarships' actually a thing? And if so, what sort of UCAT(or UMAT from years prior) do you need for this? Why does it seem so unofficial, is it used as more of an enticement offer emailed to you or something to get you to pick their uni?

2. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

I feel like you’re referring to one prep company leader in particular that says that they got scholarships from most of the Australian universities. I don’t believe there are scholarships specifically handed out to people based on their UCAT score (nor were there any for UMAT score that I heard of in the past) - most are based off ATAR or a combination of ATAR and a written application, rurality, financial disadvantage etc.

I’m actually not even sure if there are dedicated scholarships for medical students at all, but happy to be corrected there as I’m not overly knowledgeable on what universities other than my own have to offer.

3. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    There are definitely University by University scholarships dedicated to Medical Students (as there are to many other subjects), but yeah, none of them will give two hoots what your UCAT was.

ETA: FYI, there is definitely at least one Medicine specific scholarship at your Uni, Crow.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    Crow likes this.
  4. TheKuanAndOnly

TheKuanAndOnly New Member

What are these scholarship criteria like? Is it a equity or merit based one, and is it something you have to apply for before or after you get into medicine?

5. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    They vary widely from university to university so you'd need to check with yours to see what the criteria are. At UTAS there are scholarships for Med students relocating to Hobart from other parts of the state, for mature aged female students who have undertaken a career change, for those with lower financial resources, etc. They are almost all privately funded by trusts and as such, are not ubiquitous. A quick search of the scholarships page for your university will find them (that's how I found the one I alluded to above for Crow's university, and how I've looked at those available at my own university). Some are for students entering first year, some are for existing students, again, this will vary by location and by scholarship.

ETA: please note, given the title of this thread, that NONE of the scholarships I've alluded to above are UCAT related. As such, this conversation is largely now off-topic. Please post any additional questions in the appropriate university threads, thank you.

Crow likes this.