Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

A1

Rookie Doc
I will add to this post as more info is published on how UCAT score will be considered.
(Updated with UQ info 10/05/2019)
(Updated with UWA info 03/06/2019)
(Updated by LMG with UTAS info 04/06/2019)
(Updated with Adelaide info 05/06/2019, thanks to Sanjee)
(Updated with Curtin info 20/08/2019)
(Updated UNSW info 08/09/2019 - SJT not considered)
(Updated with UQ Dent info 20/09/2021)

JMP
UCAT ANZ comprises 5 subtests. The JMP will calculate an aggregate score based on the scores achieved in the following subtests: Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning. It is this aggregate score that will be used to rank candidates for invitation to the Assessment of Personal Qualities (refer below for additional information). The fifth subtest, Situational Judgement, will not form part of the JMP selection process for admission 2020.
> Assessment of personal qualities

A1's note: Apparently JMP has confirmed they will simply use the overall score.

UNSW
For selection, UNSW Medicine considers the total mark obtained from the UCAT ANZ, that is the overall score of Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning. The Situational Judgement mark will not be considered this year. There is no minimum UCAT score as such. However, it is expected that only applicants who have reached the 50th percentile would meet the threshold to be invited for an interview.
> Local applicants | Medicine

Flinders
Ranking for offers of places will be based on a rank combining Year 12 subject results (90%) and a UCAT ANZ-derived score (10%), which will be based on sections 1 through 4 of the UCAT ANZ test.
> Study the Bachelor of Clinical Sciences, Doctor of Medicine - Flinders University

Monash
The selection process consists of three components - Year 12 results, UCAT and a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI). All three components are weighted equally.
Selection for interview will be based on a combination of UCAT and ATAR results. At this stage, the University has not specified a cut-off score for this test.
> Admissions requirements - Domestic

UQ
Applicants will be selected on the basis of the aggregate score from the first four sections of the UCAT. The section 5 (SJT) score will be used as a secondary selector to differentiate between applicants with the same UCAT aggregate. If a further selector is required, the section 1 score will be used.
> Pathways and entry requirements
UQ Dent
For 2022 entry email correspondence from UQ Dent has stated there will be a change from using only the first four sub tests to using the total of all five sub tests (including SJ).

Adelaide
The 2020 Guide is out but no specific mention on UCAT score. Thanks to Sanjee we found the UCAT info in an Ask Adelaide link.
Interview eligibility is based on your performance in the UCAT, with each of sections 1-4 having equal weight. Section 5 of the UCAT (the Situational Judgment Test) component of the test will not be used to determine eligibility for interview or admission entry in 2020.
> Medicine interviews for domestic applicants
> https://health.adelaide.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2020-mbbs-admissions-guide-domestic_0.pdf

UWA
I have been told UWA will not use the SJT score. Interestingly from this year a new method for interview selection will apply. ATAR whether predicted or actual will be an eligibility hurdle only, interview selection is ranked solely on UCAT score.

Final ranking for place offers will be based on UCAT+ATAR+Interview equally weighted, not the earlier 1:2:2 formula.
Interview selection is competition-based and applicants with the highest ranked UCAT ANZ scores along with eligible predicted/actual ATAR will be invited for interview. The overall UCAT ANZ score is used in the ranking and there is no arbitrary minimum; the UCAT minimum threshold will be according to the ranked scores of that year's applicants.
> Domestic Direct Pathways interview selection > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia

Curtin
Applicants are ranked and selected for interview based on the weighted sum of their academic merit score (ATAR or equivalent) and their UCAT ANZ score (out of 3600) in the ratio of 60:40. (Note out of 3600 implies SJT won't be used.)
> https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/u...edicine-Admissions-Guide-2020_updated-JUL.pdf

UTAS
Very scant information reported, but this was the case with UMAT also, so no change, really. I think UMAT has largely just been replaced with UCAT in the wording, ;)
Applicants with an ATAR of 95 or more and Satisfactory Achievements in the subject prerequisites will be ranked taking into account UCAT performance and ATAR score.
> M3N Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery - Courses & Units - University of Tasmania, Australia

Updated 01/08/2019
UTAS will use the mean of the subscales (excluding SJT), with a requirement of 50th percentile to be eligible. Applicants will then be ranked on ATAR.

WSU
Very scant information reported, just like UMAT so I'm not expecting a difference this year.

Good luck to all med/dent aspirants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banji

brazil
University of Adelaide:
For all applicants, with the exception of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Pathway, interview eligibility is based on your performance in the UCAT, with each of sections 1-4 having equal weight. Section 5 of the UCAT (the Situational Judgment Test) component of the test will not be used to determine eligibility for interview or admission entry in 2020. On Tuesday the 29th of October 2019, you will receive an email from the University of Adelaide to the email address provided in your

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
University of Adelaide:
For all applicants, with the exception of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Pathway, interview eligibility is based on your performance in the UCAT, with each of sections 1-4 having equal weight. Section 5 of the UCAT (the Situational Judgment Test) component of the test will not be used to determine eligibility for interview or admission entry in 2020. On Tuesday the 29th of October 2019, you will receive an email from the University of Adelaide to the email address provided in your

If you have a link to this, that would be fab! Thank you for sharing.

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for the update. Do you know how WSU will consider UCAT this year?

I checked WSU website recently there was no new info. Back in UMAT days WSU was like that too, not revealing much how the sections were weighted. We only deduced the UMAT formula by poring over the posted scores.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Curtin came to our school and said that they will be disregarding section 5 of the UCAT, no hard evidence of that yet from their website but the associate dean said it so it must be true. They also said UCAT is worth 20% of admissions, with 40% going to both interviews and ATAR and ATAR + UCAT will be combined for interview offers, but weightings of each were undisclosed.

*also, no minimums for UCAT this year from what she said

A1

Rookie Doc
Curtin came to our school and said that they will be disregarding section 5 of the UCAT, no hard evidence of that yet from their website but the associate dean said it so it must be true. They also said UCAT is worth 20% of admissions, with 40% going to both interviews and ATAR and ATAR + UCAT will be combined for interview offers, but weightings of each were undisclosed.

Adding to this info, the 40:20:40 weightings for place offers have been in use since Curtin Med began. In one of the previous Guides they also stated for interview selection it was ATAR:UMAT 60:40. Whether 60:40 or 50:50 doesn't really matter to us since we don't know what scores are actually used with the weightings to be precise, suffice to say it's not like 90:10 at Flinders.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
From what I have heard from around town, only Monash will be considering it since they introduced the UCAT to Australia. However, I would only use this word of mouth as a guide rather than the law.

A1

Rookie Doc
Does anyone have a list of unis that don’t take into account SJT

It's listed in this thread's first post. So far we have established that UNSW will use the SJT (but separately from the other four sections). UQ will use as tie-breaker. WSU Monash UTas unknown. The rest do not use.

lol.sorry

Hey A1 why do you think for JMP the aggregate score may not be the overall score i.e. the sections may be weighted differently.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey A1 why do you think for JMP the aggregate score may not be the overall score i.e. the sections may be weighted differently.

Mainly because while other schools say they will use the overall or section scores, JMP say they will *calculate* an aggregate score based on the sections. Plus the fact with UMAT JMP used just one of the three sections, it'd be quite a philosophical change to now use all four sections equally.

We will know the answer in 4 months time, when you guys post up JMP invites together with your section scores. We can work out from them how the cutoff is determined.

AgentWin

Just called Curtin and was told that all 5 sections of the UCAT will be used, really confused right now. I did tell them that the Associate Dean apparently stated that SJT would not be used, they said they will ring me up again later today to clarify this matter.

UPDATE: Nevermind, they called back and confirmed that SJT would NOT be considered in Curtin's admissions process, although they still 'recommend you to do it'. :)

Last edited:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Just called Curtin and was told that all 5 sections of the UCAT will be used, really confused right now. I did tell them that the Associate Dean apparently stated that SJT would not be used, they said they will ring me up again later today to clarify this matter.

UPDATE: Nevermind, they called back and confirmed that SJT would NOT be considered in Curtin's admissions process, although they still 'recommend you to do it'. :)
aye told u so. But seriously thanks for calling them up to double check it.

A1

Rookie Doc
From what I understand, this Atar tends to be a threshold, rather than a ranking?

That was the case earlier with few place offers to interstate non-rural applicants. Last year was very different, UTas made 2-3 dozen offers to these and they all had high-end ATARs. Take a look in the Offers collated data.