UCAT: Situational Judgement

Fili

Dentistry Student 🦷
View attachment 3689
For this scenario, I choose appropriate but not ideal as I thought the first action (highlighted) was appropriate but the rest of it wasn't the best action. How do we approach these questions where one part is good/appropriate and the second part isn't optimal/inappropriate? Thank you :)

I think these ones just come with practice. The second part of the answer is what makes it inappropriate as you don't want to waste your time and their time especially when the procedure is almost done + pushing away patients is a no go.

Maybe because it isn't escalating the situation and Adele isn't really aware of the intention hence it's not awful?
Yup that too.

cocodreams

I think these ones just come with practice. The second part of the answer is what makes it inappropriate as you don't want to waste your time and their time especially when the procedure is almost done + pushing away patients is a no go.
Thank you!

cocodreams

pGYJQ2x0tY7pNROoC7gwuJm92wP4zihTJ3BtCLsfXMTnO32BENSczpFt1gp1rSCNohH7BkcotIKlVsOSu0Nz_zlR_C6o4YpuF3M6HYXIMPsXDwlWeZWekOFgwypwDVAhbZOL08Zc

What are people's thoughts on this?

2xq

Allied Health Member
pGYJQ2x0tY7pNROoC7gwuJm92wP4zihTJ3BtCLsfXMTnO32BENSczpFt1gp1rSCNohH7BkcotIKlVsOSu0Nz_zlR_C6o4YpuF3M6HYXIMPsXDwlWeZWekOFgwypwDVAhbZOL08Zc

i can see why most people said very important HOWEVER, if you were to put yourself in Steven's shoes, it wouldnt be a VERY IMPORTANT consideration. Yes, it is important but i wouldnt say its very important.

chinaski

"Very important" suggests it's of the highest priority, or the main factor that would most likely motivate someone to intervene. I would suggest that the more pressing consideration is the harassing of the bar staff, rather than the fact that his jumper might jeopardising the precious reputation of his medical school. As a decent person, if he wasn't wearing the jumper, would you not bother intervening?

threefivetwo

less gooo
Hey - can anyone confirm if partial marks are awarded for SJ on the official UCAT practice mocks? It seems to only award partial marks for the drag and drop answers at the end, with answers 'one' away from the correct answer being marked completely incorrect:

1594369528862.png

Just wondering if this is indicative of this year's marking for SJ or a mistake on their end, because I was shook after seeing how many incorrect I got although most of them were partial 😅

threefivetwo

less gooo

The reason why it isn't Very Important is that regardless of whether Michael represents the medical school with the jumper or not, Steven should take action due to the inappropriate nature of his behaviour. The reason why it's Important is because Michael is representing the medical school with the jumper, and you should address anything that jeopardises the public trust in the healthcare profession.

Chessyk__

Hey guys, I read a few posts from last year regarding partial marks but it doesn't make sense to me- in the official mocks, I got 0 partial marks despite saying 'appropriate' when the answer was 'very appropriate' for example or D instead of C etc. When this question was asked before, people were saying that you do get partial marks for getting a 'close' answer e.g. B instead of A etc (as is done by prep companies) but why is this not the case in the official mocks?

2xq

Allied Health Member
1595060442244.png
Hey guys, I read a few posts from last year regarding partial marks but it doesn't make sense to me- in the official mocks, I got 0 partial marks despite saying 'appropriate' when the answer was 'very appropriate' for example or D instead of C etc. When this question was asked before, people were saying that you do get partial marks for getting a 'close' answer e.g. B instead of A etc (as is done by prep companies) but why is this not the case in the official mocks?
thats what it says on the ucat anz website...

Pearson refuse to unveil the mysteries regarding the way they mark SJT. The description linked by 2xq from their website is quite vague, and preparation resources commonly consider the answer response next to the correct answer as partially correct. Pearson probably has their own way that's different to this, or they in fact do mark it in this way but their official resources mark it incorrectly. Only real way you'd get any specifics on this is if you email them, but I doubt they'd divulge any more info. You could always try though!

Chessyk__

Pearson refuse to unveil the mysteries regarding the way they mark SJT. The description linked by 2xq from their website is quite vague, and preparation resources commonly consider the answer response next to the correct answer as partially correct. Pearson probably has their own way that's different to this, or they in fact do mark it in this way but their official resources mark it incorrectly. Only real way you'd get any specifics on this is if you email them, but I doubt they'd divulge any more info. You could always try though!
Yeah that makes sense, I think you're right. Thanks!

ucatboy

MD II
Valued Member
Just out of curiosity, is SJT similar to UMAT section 2?
Kind of, although it's more straightforward here because it asks more about actions/responses ("Is signing your absent friend as present to a lecture appropriate?") rather than emotions (no "how do you think character x in the comic strip might feel?"). It's also 10x less stressful because rather than determing 33% of your score, it determines 0%, unless unis decide to take SJT scores into consideration (they haven't for the last two years as it encroaches on what the interview is supposed to do).

ucatboy

MD II
Valued Member
Should i bother preparing for Situational Judgment? Do any Uni's in NSW look at it?
It shouldn't be the focus of your prep but it's good to familiarise yourself with the types of questions being asked as similar ones may often crop up in your interview if you land one. If I recall correctly, only JMP currently uses it as a tiebreaker when two competing candidates have the same cognitive score, but uni admission criteria are always subject to change so you should give it your all during the exam.

ucat3300+

Hi, in the official question bank, a junior doctor realises that he has forgotten to order a blood clotting test for a patient who is due to undergo a surgical procedure tomorrow. Usually, (content removed) immediately contacting the patient and explaining the situation would be a very appropriate thing to do. However, on the official question bank it is a very inappropriate thing to do, because 'a junior doctor should not autonomously be making decisions about surgical appointments and the patient should not be informed until this decision has been confirmed by the consultant in charge'.

From anyone who has sat the exam before, is this sort of terminology such as 'junior doctor' or 'consultant' expected to come up in the real Australian version of the exam? Or is this 'junior doctor' terminology only applicable to the UK?

Do Australian people and UK people sit the exact same exam? Or is the wording adapted for Australia?

Where can I get more authoritative information on different terminologies such as these, and what a junior doctor is / isn't allowed to do, etc.?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
Hi, in the official question bank, a junior doctor realises that he has forgotten to order a blood clotting test for a patient who is due to undergo a surgical procedure tomorrow. Usually, (content removed) immediately contacting the patient and explaining the situation would be a very appropriate thing to do. However, on the official question bank it is a very inappropriate thing to do, because 'a junior doctor should not autonomously be making decisions about surgical appointments and the patient should not be informed until this decision has been confirmed by the consultant in charge'.

From anyone who has sat the exam before, is this sort of terminology such as 'junior doctor' or 'consultant' expected to come up in the real Australian version of the exam? Or is this 'junior doctor' terminology only applicable to the UK?

Do Australian people and UK people sit the exact same exam? Or is the wording adapted for Australia?

Where can I get more authoritative information on different terminologies such as these, and what a junior doctor is / isn't allowed to do, etc.?

Thanks
You can assume Junior Doctor means Intern or Resident for the purposes of this.