Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT 2013 results thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedon5

I got told by my deputy principal that CIE would be sending our results in data form directly to the different tertiary admissions centres this year? He got me to write down the subject codes for my subjects, and said that CIE would be passing the info to ALL the admission centres so we don't need to manually send the results over.....What have you guys heard?

That's for this year's results, they want last year's by some point in January. Do it just to be safe.

xxyumixx

Ah right makes sense :) Especially since I heard that sometimes last year's A-level results don't show up on the data they receive. Thank you~

Raro

I had to send in my results from last year into UAC?
I believe VTAC has access to them, not really sure about the others? I guess SATAC and QTAC would be the other two I should be worrying about if that's the case - but wouldn't they request for the results to be sent in? I know UAC requested that I send in my Y12 results for Maths.

Maybe give them a call?

Good to hear, hopefully they take into account our late results at UAdel, AAB is definitely possible for me, should be straightforward.

Hehe I have no chance of 16 myself, probably should've applied there anyway but 15 is my maximum. There is a maximum of four subject points. So AAAA is neeeded. I can only get A*ABB at maximum.

Weird, didn't see that. Still do-able but harder I guess. Much easier than UWS, etc. and you get to choose any undergrad degree though which is cool!!!

They definitely take CIE results into account for second round offers; there's a guy from my school who got ~80ish in UMAT but was offered a second round interview thanks to his results, and is now studying Med in Adelaide.
I'd say that you should aim higher, but based off of the table AAB looks good. :)

xxyumixx

I believe VTAC has access to them, not really sure about the others? I guess SATAC and QTAC would be the other two I should be worrying about if that's the case - but wouldn't they request for the results to be sent in? I know UAC requested that I send in my Y12 results for Maths.

Maybe give them a call?

I think I sent in mine for UAC/SATAC already before my principal told me that, and on my QTAC status thing it says that they have got my results from last year....so not sure if QTAC wants them sent in? Yeah I might call them after the CIE exams finish (too much to worry about right now hahaha) just to double check whether or not QTAC and VTAC want them sent in hard-copy. I can tell you what they say after I call if you don't mind waiting :)

Raro

I think I sent in mine for UAC/SATAC already before my principal told me that, and on my QTAC status thing it says that they have got my results from last year....so not sure if QTAC wants them sent in? Yeah I might call them after the CIE exams finish (too much to worry about right now hahaha) just to double check whether or not QTAC and VTAC want them sent in hard-copy. I can tell you what they say after I call if you don't mind waiting :)

Yeah, that'd be good. Thanks! Don't really want to think abotu it at the moment!

thedon5

Maybe give them a call?

Weird, didn't see that. Still do-able but harder I guess. Much easier than UWS, etc. and you get to choose any undergrad degree though which is cool!!!

They definitely take CIE results into account for second round offers; there's a guy from my school who got ~80ish in UMAT but was offered a second round interview thanks to his results, and is now studying Med in Adelaide.
I'd say that you should aim higher, but based off of the table AAB looks good. :)

In my application I mentioned that I did A-Level maths in 6th form and they wanted me to send in the results certificate for that. I didn't need to though as I'm resitting A-Level maths and it'll be in my results sent to the TACs anyway. You could contact them and see what they say.

Yeah I wish I could aim higher but I can't :( . That is the absolute highest I can get, that's the problem of messing up your exams in 6th form! I ended up with two low Cs and at best will be able to pick up Bs in those, though probably a B and a C at best which is a shame...

Raro

Thanks @thedon5 . Yeah, I've sent it in to UAC, however I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking me to sendmy results in when I had already sent them (and the tracking on the package said it was delivered). Will need to call them up after exams.

I know how you feel, Chem last year was not a good time. Going to be a struggle to pull that one up!

You may find this interesting as you're applying to UQ (?)

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/docs/domestic/gce.pdf

So they require A*A*A* or A*A*ab - although I think there's the possibility that we get bonus points or something as we have done Maths C equivalent.
Need to look into it later, apparently it's two bonus points. But not sure if that's the same point system as used in the above document, because that means A*AA would be acceptable :) http://www.uq.edu.au/study/?page=89468#mbbs
EDIT: Scratch that, AU Citizens only.

On top of that you need to do well in UMAT, and if you're on the threshold they decide between applicants based off of Section 1 scores.

Last edited:

xxyumixx

So they require A*A*A* or A*A*ab - although I think there's the possibility that we get bonus points or something as we have done Maths C equivalent.
Need to look into it later, apparently it's two bonus points. But not sure if that's the same point system as used in the above document, because that means A*AA would be acceptable :) Bonus Rank Scheme FAQs - The University of Queensland, Australia

On top of that you need to do well in UMAT, and if you're on the threshold they decide between applicants based off of Section 1 scores.

Thanks [MENTION=18913]Raro[/MENTION] :) I'm really going to have to work hard to get 3 A*s in total....
I have a friend that is at UQ doing the provisional entry pathway right now (he left after Year 12) and he got in with a UMAT of 96 and 2A*s and an A - so I'm kind of hoping they'll accept that sort of score this year as well hahaha

dbutler

Thanks @thedon5 . Yeah, I've sent it in to UAC, however I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking me to sendmy results in when I had already sent them (and the tracking on the package said it was delivered). Will need to call them up after exams.

I know how you feel, Chem last year was not a good time. Going to be a struggle to pull that one up!

Need to look into it later, apparently it's two bonus points. But not sure if that's the same point system as used in the above document, because that means A*AA would be acceptable :) Bonus Rank Scheme FAQs - The University of Queensland, Australia

From reading the .pdf, I think we CIE sitters need only A*AA or A*A*B if we have passed CIE A or AS level maths which gives us 2 bonus points. We need even less if we also have passed a Language-other-than-English which awards another 2 bonus points.

Raro

[MENTION=19149]xxyumixx[/MENTION] Yeah, you'll be fine! Don't sweat it :)
UQ would probably be my dream uni from the choices available in Aussie - given that you're still able to do a BA -> MD.
Otherwise I'd probably try to defer and give NZ a shot!

[MENTION=19184]dbutler[/MENTION] I had another look and the extra points only apply to Australian Citizens, not NZers :(
A*AA is possible though so hopefully that's alright!

dbutler

@xxyumixx Yeah, you'll be fine! Don't sweat it :)
UQ would probably be my dream uni from the choices available in Aussie - given that you're still able to do a BA -> MD.
Otherwise I'd probably try to defer and give NZ a shot!

@dbutler I had another look and the extra points only apply to Australian Citizens, not NZers :(
A*AA is possible though so hopefully that's alright!

Hi Raro,

We are treated as domestic students so we are entitled to the bonus points
001_smile.gif

The following are from UQ website. Them mention Australian Citizens because Australian

The University of Queensland’s Bonus Rank Scheme offers students completing Year 12 in the year of tertiary application, a chance to improve their competitiveness for entry to their preferred program if they have completed specified studies during senior.

This scheme is open to:

• all domestic students currently completing an internal Year 12 program in Australia (including International Baccalaureate students)
  • international currently completing Year 12 in Australia; and
  • Australian citizens currently completing an approved senior program overseas which is assessed as equivalent to Queensland Year 12[SUP]1[/SUP].

Raro

• all domestic students currently completing an internal Year 12 program in Australia (including International Baccalaureate students)
  • international currently completing Year 12 in Australia; and
  • Australian citizens currently completing an approved senior program overseas which is assessed as equivalent to Queensland Year 12[SUP]1[/SUP].

Sadly, we're completing our internal Year 12 programs in New Zealand, not Australia.

Raro

Is Dentistry a 99 ATAR / OP 1 as well for UQ?
It's possible it was in less demand at the time.

Good to know though!

Status
Not open for further replies.