UMAT 2018 Results Discussion

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by LMG!, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Confirmed what the others said re: Dentistry. Probably add in LaTrobe dent too into the mix.

2. TheGuy_99

TheGuy_99 New Member

Does anyone know if the ATAR cut off varies at Nathan compared to Gold Coast for Griffith?

3. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

Yes - these are two different preferences on QTAC and therefore have 2 different cutoff scores. As a past guide, the cutoffs have been around 99.70 for Nathan and 99.80 for Gold Coast in the first round. During the second round the cutoff may drop - last year it dropped to 99.65 based on MSO offers data, though I wouldn’t count on it dropping this low in future.

4. horsecode1

horsecode1 New Member

hey guys what is the code for melbourne uni's direct entry?

5. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    By direct entry do you mean the Chancellor's pathway (which is anything but direct) or the graduate pathway (which requires a completed degree and prerequisites in anatomy/physiology/biochemistry)?

6. __vicco

__vicco New Member

Just double checking, the UNSW pathway for non standard applicants would be by enrolling in the UNSW Bachelor of Medical Science and transferring 'laterally' later on?

7. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Yes that's the one. Bear in mind many seniors here on MSO advise to consider any MedSc choice carefully before enrolling. In addition the UNSW MedSc transfer pathway (different to applying as non-standard) provides only 10 or fewer Med places to likely a few hundreds in the MedSc cohort.

8. __vicco

__vicco New Member

Perfect. Thanks for all your advice :^ )

9. Michael Wan

Michael Wan New Member

So if I put #1 USyd #2 UNSW in Dec Round 2, if I got the USyd offer, then it will be a confirmed offer and then I could remove USyd entirely from the list and put UNSW back to #1 for Jan Round 1. But if I do not get an email for the UNSW Med interview, can I assume that I am out and I could remove UNSW Med from the preference list?

10. section1ismyjam

section1ismyjam New Member

Pretty sure the highest score was 236 this year. U sure you're not bullshitting?

11. A1

UWA MD
    The Overall percentile curve (see on page 46 this thread) extends past 236 on the horizontal axis, so 250+ is possible.

12. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    I can confirm that the highest score I have heard of this year (and for that matter pretty much EVERY year) is a fair way above 236.

13. A1

UWA MD
    Yes, before removing USyd you must accept the offer and in some cases that requires you to enrol in the course as well. This enrolment can be withdrawn without penalty later if you get a better offer.

I wouldn't put myself into this situation where I'd need to remove UNSW to make room for a new pref at that stage. But it's up to you.

14. Michael Wan

Michael Wan New Member

Thanks, if I put #1 UNSW Med and #2 USyd Physio, in the Dec Round 2, if USyd gives me the offer, this offer will be "pending a higher offer". Will this offer be considered as confirmed if I do not get the UNSW offer later in the Jan round?

15. helpme101

helpme101 New Member

Overall UMAT Score: 173
    Section One: 62
    Section Two: 49
    Section Three: 63
    Overall Percentile Rank: 83
    Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.3
    Preferred University: Adelaide or Flinders (but will take anything if it comes to it)
    Course Type: Medicine
    Application type: School Leaver
    State: SA
    Rural: no
    Indigenous Applicant: no
    GWS: no
    Other Bonuses: yes (SA university equity scheme)

Question/s: Do I have any chance of getting an interview at Adelaide or Flinders or anywhere?

16. Mana

Resident Medical Officer
    Flinders may consider you if you have enough bonus points to bring your score up to around 99.85ish. Otherwise you're probably out of luck for all the UMAT-based schools for medicine.

17. A1

UWA MD
    I believe that's how it works i.e. in the Jan round you will get either a Med offer or the Physio offer, but can't confirm. Best to get an answer in writing from UAC.

18. Umatmatt888

Umatmatt888 New Member

If you apply for a umat recheck, would that mean you would have to go and apply for all the universities anyway? As you would receive your mark in October sometime even if it did or did not change...

19. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Yes, if that’s true re. the release date for a re-mark (I’ve not actually checked), then almost all Med application deadlines are towards the end of September so you’d need to apply to all the ones you’re interested in and just hope for an improved score.

20. GreenGrapes

GreenGrapes Guest

Hi, not sure if this is the right board, but could someone please give their opinion on my chances?

UMAT: 80 (66/53/51=170)
    Predicted ATAR: 98.1
    Rural: RA2/ MMM4/RRMA5 (Victoria)
    Minor EAS for parents' FTB and my minor disability
    I've applied to every undergraduate medicine course in Australia.

Thanks!