UMAT 2018 Results Discussion

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by LMG!, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 164

164 New Member

Thanks

2. Numerouno

Numerouno New Member

As A1 pointed out, the "another pool" confuses the issue. If you don't mind me asking: Where did you graduate from i.e HSC? Are you an Australian PR or Citizen? I am not sure if JMP takes any overseas HSC candidates but hopefully, UNSW does. Not sure about others. Good luck as yo ahve been assessed equivalent to UAC (QAS) 99.95 but I doubt this is same as ATAR 99.95!

3. lillysayse

lillysayse New Member

Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago but I only asked about Curtin.

I am wondering if I can expect anything from my applications to WSU, UNSW, and JMP.

I did put applications in but I am now thinking I'm probably out of the running for all three. Tried to work this out myself (but their school websites give you the 50/50/50 spiel, don't tell you much else, except I'm pretty certain my ATAR will disqualify me from one) Really appreciate any input on whether I can expect anything at all. Cheers for being so helpful :)

Overall UMAT Score: 175
    Section One: 55
    Section Two: 65
    Section Three: 55
    Overall Percentile Rank: 85th
    Estimated ATAR/GPA: 88.95 / 7
    Preferred University: WSU, UNSW, JMP
    Course Type:
    Medicine
    Application type: non-standard
    State: WA
    Rural: no
    Indigenous Applicant: no
    GWS: no
    Other Bonuses: no

4. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Hi lillysayse, unfortunately you’re likely to miss out on interviews at all three on the basis of your UMAT result for JMP and WSU, and a combo of your UMAT and ATAR for UNSW.

5. lillysayse

lillysayse New Member

Ok thanks LMG! :) Here's hoping for Curtin!

6. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Except UTas the unis don't concern themselves with determining applicants' ATAR/GPA , they leave this task to the TACs. Their websites including JMP's all say ATAR or equivalent. If UAC assesses it as equiv to 99.95 I believe that's what it will be to all NSW unis.

7. Aus2018

Aus2018 New Member

US results
    Australian citizen

8. Numerouno

Numerouno New Member

Ok. Did UAC mention that you would be considered under overseas quota? I am afraid you will not be as you are an Australian Citizen. Internationals may have less stringent ATARequiv requirements I assume. With such high scores you could get into a BS/MD program in a reputable uni there. Just thinking.

9. Wendy Lin

Wendy Lin New Member

Overall UMAT Score: 181
    Section One: 62
    Section Two: 62
    Section Three: 57
    Overall Percentile Rank: 91
    Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.00
    Preferred University: Monash
    Course Type:
    Medicine
    Application type: School leaver
    State: Victoria
    Rural: No
    Indigenous Applicant: No
    GWS: No
    Other Bonuses: Yes

Question/s: What are my chances of getting an interview at Monash. I know I'm not likely to get a first round offer at Monash but what is my chance of getting a second or third round offer?

10. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    What are the "other bonuses" you've selected yes for? Is it EAS?

11. Wendy Lin

Wendy Lin New Member

It's SEAS

I looked on the Monash website, they said they award it according to severity. I would say my situation is considered to be more serious. One of my teachers passed away suddenly from a heart attack during the year.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2018 at 10:17 PM
  12. australia

australia New Member

Hi, just a general question: for UQ, what are the cut-offs for entry? And if you do meet these cut-offs, are you guaranteed a place offer?

Thank you :)

13. Ruffle

Ruffle Raining enthusiasm Certified Admissions Helper

I'm sorry to hear that. There's no way of knowing how severe Monash would rate that, but it's better to err on the side of caution and go with the most conservative outcome.

MirrorsEdge and Crow like this.
  14. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    The academic cut-off is OP1 or ATAR 99.00 I believe. This can be achieved with the addition of subject and/or rurality bonuses, too.

UMAT isn’t a cutoff, necessarily, and changes very slightly every year. Presumably it drops to a point based on the results of the applicants, and not to a pre-determined level. UQ publish the lowest scores annually (after, not before, entry invites are released) so you’d be easily able to access the successful scores for 2018 entry to give you a guide.

australia and Ruffle like this.
  15. australia

australia New Member

So say for example that I get an ATAR of 99 and my current UMAT is 189 with my S1 at 67, do you think I would be guaranteed a place offer at UQ?

16. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    As mentioned, the UMAT score requirements are not predetermined (or, if they are, they’re certainly not released to the public). I can’t guarantee you anything. The best you can do is check last year’s UMAT requirements, which will give you a guide, and probably some reassurance, but not a guarantee.

australia likes this.
  17. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

You can feel pretty confident (albeit not certain) of a CSP offer with that UMAT score based on past cutoffs, however it’s important to note that you’ll be gaining a place in provisional entry, not the MD directly. You need to maintain a GPA of 5 (a credit average ) in the undergraduate degree you choose to gain entry to the MD - while this is certainly achievable, it’s by no means a guarantee of a place in medicine and will still require some effort in your degree.

australia likes this.
  18. Numerouno

Numerouno New Member

I agree. Sorry to hear about the passing of one of the teachers during the year. I was left in the dark and not considered from any university for EAS when my close relative passed away just one week before the HSC exams. I do not know what is the level of severity that is attributed to Fanily circumstances or to you that can be considered under this category. I just wanted to give an example but each case is different and who looks at it. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

Wendy Lin likes this.