Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT 2018 Results Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I got atar 97.55 umat 172 then received the reject letter from UNSW yesterday.
Have I any chance to get an invitation on next round. I am confused because I am a school leaver.
How about Monash?

Are you a rural applicant? Or eligible for EAS? If not, you will not be competitive for either UNSW or Monash interviews.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Neither. So I will not have any chance because of low atar? or low umat?

To be honest, both are well below what would be considered competitive for either of those universities. Depending on the breakdown of your UMAT, JMP will be your best shot.

Hi there,

my friend has umat 94 and atar 99.3. She is wondering:
Would she get offers for interviews at Monash, UNSW, Curtin, JMP, UQ, JCU, UWA, Griffith and the other universities?

If she does alright for her interview, would she get an offer from Monash, UNSW and the other universities?

Thanks for the help.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi there,

Would she get offers for interviews at Monash, UNSW, Curtin, JMP, UQ, JCU, UWA, Griffith and the other universities?

If she does alright for her interview, would she get an offer from Monash, UNSW and the other universities?

Thanks for the help.

We'd need to know her section score break down for JMP and Curtin, do you happen to know those?

ETA: that said, she would already know if she was going to get a JMP interview, so if she's not received anything, then unfortunately she has missed out (likely due to S1<58, or S2/S3 <50, if it was due to a section score below 50, then this also rules out Curtin).

Unlucky

UNSW BMed/MD I
Hi there,

Thanks for the help.

UNSW: Borderline for an interview and would need a good interview to get a place. I believe someone with 99.45/92nd wasn't offered an interview
Monash: Would get an interview if from Victoria, I am unsure for interstate
Curtin: Would get an interview and have a good chance at a place
UQ: for med, unless cutoffs change a lot should get a bonded position, possibly even an unbonded place (see Pathways and entry requirements for past cutoffs)
JMP: Depends on UMAT section scores for an interview, ie. a S1 score of 58 in addition to S2 and S3 scores of at least 50 are required for an interview. Then places are based on the interview
JCU: Highly dependent on application (already been due) and interview
UWA: Not sure
Griffith: ATAR will be too low although USC might be worth applying to

Obviously for the unis where interviews are part of the selection process it is hard to estimate the chance of your friend being offered a place.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi there,

Thanks for the help.
Assuming your friend passed all sections, it’d be a yes to a UWA interview too.

ETA: On closer inspection UWA doesn’t have the 50/50/50 rule anyways, so your friend should get an interview there too.

Last edited:

Unlucky

UNSW BMed/MD I
We'd need to know her section score break down for JMP and Curtin, do you happen to know those?

ETA: that said, she would already know if she was going to get a JMP interview, so if she's not received anything, then unfortunately she has missed out (likely due to S1<58, or S2/S3 <50, if it was due to a section score below 50, then this also rules out Curtin).

If her friend is interstate, they wouldn't have received an interview offer, would they? (idk where Hamilton is, NZ?)
Also, I believe Monash also has the 50/50/50 rule, but am not 100% sure.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If her friend is interstate, they wouldn't have received an interview offer, would they? (idk where Hamilton is, NZ?)
Also, I believe Monash also has the 50/50/50 rule, but am not 100% sure.

All JMP interview invites (local, interstate, and NZ) have been sent out as they are based 100% on UMAT score.

And yes, Monash also has 50/50/50, as does UWA, I believe. And definitely Curtin. And then also UTAS for an offer.

There's Hamilton in Victoria, too, but I've completely missed where it was mentioned this is the friend's location.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I don't think UWA has the 50/50/50 rule. I know somebody with 49 in S2 who got an interview.

Ahh, thank you. I was just basing my comment on Crow saying "if they passed each section". That said, it's important to note that some universities have the 50/50/50 rule for non-rural applicants only (Curtin and UTAS do this at a minimum), so it's possible UWA waive this for rural applicants or other pathway applicants and your friend qualifies for one of these?

ETA: from the UWA website, "There is no set UMAT threshold for entry to Direct Pathways to Medicine or Dentistry at UWA, apart from a minimum percentile score of 20 in section one of the test. Applicants compete against one another for an interview place; not against a set UMAT score."

So we can rule out the 50/50/50 rule for UWA.

Thanks for all your replies.
She is from Victoria.
All her UMAT sections are above 50/50/50

Would she get an interview from Monash? Any idea when the invitation coming from Monash?

How about UNSW, Curtin, JMP, UQ, JCU, UWA, Griffith, Adelaide, UTAS and the other universities?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks for all your replies.
She is from Victoria.
All her UMAT sections are above 50/50/50

Would she get an interview from Monash? Any idea when the invitation coming from Monash?

How about UNSW, Curtin, JMP, UQ, JCU, UWA, Griffith, Adelaide, UTAS and the other universities?

Please note that your post has already mostly been answered by Unlucky.

In addition to what Unlucky said,
JMP: No, as she would already have the interview invite if she were going to get one.
UTAS: No offer, UMAT not high enough.
Flinders: No offer, ATAR not high high.

Okay just got my ATAR (I'm West Australian) about 5 minutes ago. I have an ATAR of 99.85 with UMAT of 86% ile (55,60,61). What are my chances for Griffith and Flinders?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Okay just got my ATAR (I'm West Australian) about 5 minutes ago. I have an ATAR of 99.85 with UMAT of 86% ile (55,60,61). What are my chances for Griffith and Flinders?
Congratulations, that's an incredible score! I'd say you're pretty much guaranteed an offer at Griffith, and Flinders is a very good chance (99.85 has been enough in previous years of admission). Well done again on an awesome achievement.