Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT 2018 Results Discussion

medbp

Hey just got IB results and very very disappointed. I got an IB 38 (ATAR 96.70) and Umat 169 (79th percentile) and I am a rural student (RA3). what are my chances at Monash, I have an interview in a couple of days.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey just got IB results and very very disappointed. I got an IB 38 (ATAR 96.70) and Umat 169 (79th percentile) and I am a rural student (RA3). what are my chances at Monash, I have an interview in a couple of days.

Not an expert but I'd be focusing on the interview from here on in.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Anonymous said:
ATAR 99.95
UMAT 180
Non Vic applicant

Based on info at hand or in the past, with my ATAR and UMAT, how am I ranked among other interstate applicants for a Monash interview and subsequent place offer?
A1?

Just realised I didn't submit a full academic transcript to SATAC - only the first semesters results this year. Will this affect my application/should I obtain and upload the most updated transcript.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
With a UMAT of 181 (91%ile: 58/52/60) and an ATAR of 99.85, what are the chances of receiving an interview from UNSW?
Also, chances of receiving UQ bonded?

A1

Rookie Doc
With a UMAT of 181 (91%ile: 58/52/60) and an ATAR of 99.85, what are the chances of receiving an interview from UNSW?
Also, chances of receiving UQ bonded?

You should definitely get an interview with UNSW.
For UQ they use the sum of your three section scores. With 170 as posted above you won't get an offer unless rural, but I guess there's a typo in your scores since the overall is 181. Assuming the sum is actually 180 it's borderline for a bonded offer. We don't know if it'll stay the same this year or rise or drop a little, just have to wait and see.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
You should definitely get an interview with UNSW.
For UQ they use the sum of your three section scores. With 170 as posted above you won't get an offer unless rural, but I guess there's a typo in your scores since the overall is 181. Assuming the sum is actually 180 it's borderline for a bonded offer. We don't know if it'll stay the same this year or rise or drop a little, just have to wait and see.

Hi A1, thanks very much for your help. UMAT is indeed 181 (91%ile), the three component scores have decimals after them that, after adding them and rounding it up, it comes to 181. I'm not sure where 170 came from, perhaps another post? Also:

1. With a 99.85, is there a possibility that I don't receive an offer from Griffith University (knowing that the GC campus is very competitive)?

2. In addition, I've just received an interview from USYD Dentistry today. However, it seems that an email earlier stated that they only accept you if you place them in first preference (at least it is this case for the January 11th round) – [asking because I intend to place USYD DENTISTRY after UNSW MEDICINE (1st pref) for the 25th January offer] do you know if this applies for the 25th January round, or if this is true at all? Or just misleading phrasing?

Thanks again for your help.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi A1, thanks very much for your help. UMAT is indeed 181 (91%ile), the three component scores have decimals after them that, after adding them and rounding it up, it comes to 181. I'm not sure where 170 came from, perhaps another post?

The 170 is from your own posted scores of 58/52/60. What I tried to explain is UQ uses the sum of the three *rounded* section scores. In your case you have a few 0.2-0.4s rounded down and lose them in UQ's chosen method. Unfortunately getting 180 (instead of the 181 Overall) makes it much more marginal.

1. With a 99.85, is there a possibility that I don't receive an offer from Griffith University (knowing that the GC campus is very competitive)?

I'm fairly positive 99.85 will make the cut whether GC or Nathan.

2. In addition, I've just received an interview from USYD Dentistry today. However, it seems that an email earlier stated that they only accept you if you place them in first preference (at least it is this case for the January 11th round) – [asking because I intend to place USYD DENTISTRY after UNSW MEDICINE (1st pref) for the 25th January offer] do you know if this applies for the 25th January round, or if this is true at all? Or just misleading phrasing?

I myself get confused when a school says that. They should only do so when they participate in an offer round that many other schools don't. When it's a common round for all no schools should say they must be first preference for you to get an offer. (An exception is they know you are interstate thus attending UNSW 2nd round interviews, if USyd Dent makes you an offer on Jan 11th UAC may hold it back until your 1st pref UNSW Med result is known?)

But to make things simple, can you put USyd Dent 1st pref for the Jan 11th round then change UNSW Med to 1st pref for the Jan 25th round?

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi A1, sorry about the confusion. The scores were actually: 60/52/68 (keep mixing the digits up, very far off haha!).
Thanks for the information about UQ.

I am an IB student so our results only came out on 03/01/19. The UAC has closed preference changes atm, but I have Newcastle placed in first preference for January 11th (since it's their offer round) – I will rearrange as appropriate after.

As of current, USYD DENTISTRY has its interviews on 21/01/19, while UNSW MEDICINE also has its interviews on 21/01/19, but says "an extra interview date for IB candidates only will be made available on 18/01/19" – I'm not sure, but I think this is to avoid time clashes with USYD, although it is not clear which IB students actually gets to attend on 18/01/19 instead of 21/01/19 (interviews are sent out mid-January for UNSW). So there's also a chance that people applying to both courses only get to attend one interview from the time clash.

Either way, my query has been well answered – thank you very much for your help.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
As a followup, I received an interview from UNSW MEDICINE earlier today on the 18th January, avoiding the time clash with USYD DENTISTRY interviews on the 21st January. It seems I just managed to get an interview with my ATAR/UMAT.

However, it is to my understanding that UNSW uses all 3 criterions (ATAR, UMAT, INTERVIEW) in equal proportions in their offer selection. Given that my UMAT (181/91%ile) and ATAR (99.85) are on the lower end of the spectrum of interviewees, does that mean that even if I have a superb interview, there is still a high chance that I do not receive an offer due to the other components pulling me down (i.e. am I disadvantaged from the outset compared to the "average" candidate with a 50/50 chance?). Thanks.

As a followup, I received an interview from UNSW MEDICINE earlier today on the 18th January, avoiding the time clash with USYD DENTISTRY interviews on the 21st January. It seems I just managed to get an interview with my ATAR/UMAT.

However, it is to my understanding that UNSW uses all 3 criterions (ATAR, UMAT, INTERVIEW) in equal proportions in their offer selection. Given that my UMAT (181/91%ile) and ATAR (99.85) are on the lower end of the spectrum of interviewees, does that mean that even if I have a superb interview, there is still a high chance that I do not receive an offer due to the other components pulling me down (i.e. am I disadvantaged from the outset compared to the "average" candidate with a 50/50 chance?). Thanks.

Hi Lyyrre, just wondering that before you received your interview invite from UNSW today, did you get a rejection email from them earlier ? Thanks.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi Lone Cheng,

I personally didn't. However, one of my colleagues whom the university registered as having a 99.40 ATAR and 93%ile received a rejection email. It was later revealed that UNSW failed to register his remark and he actually got 99.70, he proceeded to receive an interview invitation immediately after that.

Hi Lone Cheng,

I personally didn't. However, one of my colleagues whom the university registered as having a 99.40 ATAR and 93%ile received a rejection email. It was later revealed that UNSW failed to register his remark and he actually got 99.70, he proceeded to receive an interview invitation immediately after that.

Thanks Lyyrre.
Did your colleague appeal to get a remark ? And also appeal to UNSW to take into account of his remark afterward ? Many thanks.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Thanks Lyyrre.
Did your colleague appeal to get a remark ? And also appeal to UNSW to take into account of his remark afterward ? Many thanks.

Hi Lone Cheng,

My colleague did the IB Diploma and he appealed to the IB markers and got a remark from a 42 (99.40) to 43 (99.70), he didn't appeal to UNSW, UNSW simply received an un-updated version of his ATAR prior. After contacting, they refreshed and corrected their error to the remarked ATAR.

Hi Lone Cheng,

My colleague did the IB Diploma and he appealed to the IB markers and got a remark from a 42 (99.40) to 43 (99.70), he didn't appeal to UNSW, UNSW simply received an un-updated version of his ATAR prior. After contacting, they refreshed and corrected their error to the remarked ATAR.

Hi Lyyrre,
Thank you so much for your help !

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score:172
Section One:52
Section Two:60
Section Three: 60
Overall Percentile Rank: 81
Estimated ATAR/GPA:99.85
Preferred University: Uni Adelaide/ Flinders
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: SA
Rural: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: no

Any chances of an Interview at Adelaide?

Last year, Adelaide used UMAT only for interviews and the cut off was around 83%ile which you're slightly under so unless it drops it looks like that might be out :( . You stand a good chance for a Flinders offer however.
I got 99.90% ATAR and UMAT score is 172 with section 1 (52), section 2(60). Now what’s my chance at Flinders?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: